Author Topic: Getting a dry- addict to switch to wet  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Getting a dry- addict to switch to wet
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 19:20:08 PM »
Dry food is coated with "chicken digest" to make it palatable to them  :sick:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 14:39:05 PM »
that is what I think Star's problem is as well, her nose was damaged before she came to us  and I'm sure that is half the problem

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 14:34:06 PM »
Funny enough 1 of the 5 six week olds I rescued yesterday will only eat dry,just put wet in the dry bowl and he ran away  :rofl: think half the problem is the smell of the dry food is much more inviting  :rofl:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »
when I did that it was like I'd poisoned the whole plate!  she ran away from it! 

Yup mine are wise to that one too  :evillaugh:

In fact I think Josh only barfs to prove a point, it's a cat's prerogative and all that  :tired:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
when I did that it was like I'd poisoned the whole plate!  she ran away from it! 

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
I just put small amount of wet in dish and sprinkled the dry ontop,guess I dropped lucky.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
I've given up with Star, she's been with me two years and won't touch any wet food or even fresh meat or fish offered I truly think she would rather starve

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
I'm having similar issues, although I don't want to be dry-food-free. I'd like them to have a wet meal a day but they won't touch agail, applaws, nature's menu or any other premium ones I've tried. Strangely they lap up the gravy off Wilko's own food but I'm not sure that's really going to help their diet!

I like to free-feed dry(RC Sensible) as Josh gets stomach acid and pukes sometimes if he doesn't eat in time to stop it  :sick:

I'm aiming to stock up on all the different and exciting makes of food at the supreme in the hope of finding something they'll love!

In the meantime the cats at South Normanton Cat Sanctuary are very pleased with me and my offerings  :doh:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 21:20:34 PM »
I'll give turkey a try- thank you Gillian. I have tried quite a variety of wet foods (from Felix, whiskers to high life, natures choice- most ones on the shelf at one time or another) to but the vet has given me some RC sensitivity control sachets to try this evening as he says they are very kind on the tum and rather tasty. He suggested warming it so we're going to give that a try today. I've also bought a selection of differnt brand single sachets to try if she's not keen on that. I got some chicken and cheese flavoured applaws this evening for the boys and think I will try that too as she loves any dry food with cheese in it so it's definately worth a try. Think I shall get some parmesan as well (as mentioned on website earlier in thread) as that may make the meat more appealing too.
However stubborn she is though, I can be more stubborn! hehe

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 23:04:09 PM »
She sounds like a tough one! I was lucky with my lot - they took to eating wet from from dry straight away pretty much. I think one of the most important suggestions on the catinfo site Susanne posted is not free feeding the dry and introducing regular meal 'times' . I think thats why it was a bit easier for me because I have never 'free fed' dry food, I'd always stuck to 2 main meals a day with 1 small nighttime snack - even with the dry food, so for mine it was just a question of adding the teeniest morsel of wet with their regular dry meal and gradually building up the amounts of wet and reducing the amount of dry.

One suggestion about the meat - I know you said you tried chicken - but what about turkey? Mine quite like chicken, but go mad for turkey! (they have it raw, but you could cook it) Morrisons do packs of turkey chunks which are good value. If you want to cook the chunks I'd roast or dry fry them and then slice small slivers off and try her with a few pieces.

What wet foods have you tried her with?

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 20:38:49 PM »
Lots of tricks there- I shall plan my attack.  :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 20:26:56 PM »

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Getting a dry- addict to switch to wet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 20:25:43 PM »
Well I have been part of similar threads before where we're all debating wet vs dry and I strongly believe that wet is the way forward BUT although I've moved my boys onto a wet-only diet, my girlie is a completely different kettle of fish. She has bladder issues so as you can imagine, wet food would have serious health benefits to her but I really need some suggestions of things I can try to help her make the change from the successful people among you who have actually moved a particularly difficult cat from dry to wet as I am not sure what to do next!

She will not touch (and actually backs away from) any wet food, fresh chicken, fish and even more opposed to raw chicken wings which the boys are partial to occasionally. I have tried holding out til she's really hungry and I always give in first, I have also put a small amount of wet food in her food and slowly replaced the dry with wet as the days have gone by and she will eat round the wet, not eating anything dry that's even touched the wet. I have tried fresh, smelly food and have warmed it up at times and I'm sure I ahve probably tried other things as well.

All new tactics welcome, I am willing to try even the most bizarre ideas as it's for the greater good. My aim is to be a wet-only household by Xmas!!!

Link to CatChat