Author Topic: Kitten has constant diarrhea  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Kitten has constant diarrhea
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 21:37:41 PM »
You would hope a sample is tested before expensive allergy investigations are done, could easily have a bacteria problem

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 08:18:53 AM »
I would do it gradually over a couple of weeks, adding more and more dry food, and if he gets worse, revert back to plain chicken. Ideally you need him to be solid first. Has she tested for anything other than worms?
Please spay your cat

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 20:09:50 PM »
Sorry for delay in replying , he got wormed by the vet , my vet suspects he may have IBS.

No i only tried him on Royal canin kitten food, ive now brought some RC sensible 33 , im slowing introducing him to this with his chicken.

Hope it works if not im going to buy the prescription sensitive from VETSUK , thanks for that mark.

It does say on the Sensible one that its for loose stools but its not loose its Dirrahea , just hoping it will work.

He has had none for the last 4 days only because ive been giving him plain boiled chicken , im now slowing putting a few dry bits of food in with the chicken , when can i give him the dry food on its own?

Thank you for everyones advice

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:17:51 AM »
Thinking along the same lines as MM - worming. Has he been wormed? This is a common cause of diarrohea in cats. But your vet would have mentioned this.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 17:32:22 PM »
Some foods are just too rich for some cats and that would give them this effect.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 19:53:00 PM »
I wondered the same thing that Mark asked - which of the RC foods did you try? I had the same problem with some of my cats and they have had no problems since moving onto RC sensible 33.

I got some 3 for the price of 2 in PAH last week  :) - Willow loves it. I give the others Orijen. Willow has it downstairs but also has a secret dish or RC as she is a picky eater and borderline underweight so I have to let her have it.

RC do a prescription sensitive you can get from VetUK etc - I guess it is even more bland than the 33?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 19:17:27 PM »
Has he been wormed? Is this the sphynx,are they a breed like bengals who have trouble with tummies?

A restricted bland diet and gradual reintroduction of one chosen food. I would request a sample to be tested before investigating if the cat has intolerances, could be a simple bug

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
I would put him on a bland diet till it clears up before trying anymore new foods - also, how have you been introducing new foods, have you been mixing it in and doing it gradually over a couple of weeks, or just putting it down? I would try and get some wet food in his diet, it is more important for males to eat some wet food for their urinary tract.
Please spay your cat

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
I wondered the same thing that Mark asked - which of the RC foods did you try? I had the same problem with some of my cats and they have had no problems since moving onto RC sensible 33. There are also special RC veterinary foods which you can buy from places like VetUK.

I just adopted 2 more cats last week and they also had this problem. The shelter had treated them for a stomach bug and put them on Hills Prescription i/d. It seems to be helping as no diarrhoea but not normal solid poop either and very smelly so I added a tiny amount of RC sensible 33 in with the Hills this morning and am going to start making a very gradual switch over to RC for the new girls as well.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:57:19 AM by sixfurballs »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 22:59:36 PM »
Did you feed one of the RC sensitive foods or just regular?

Another recommended food is Eagle Pack Holistic  http://www.postalpets.co.uk/index1.html - Zooplus don't sell this one. The do a chicken version but I don't think it is the same.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
Kitten has constant diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:56:56 AM »
My kitten is always having diarrhea he is currently orijen dry food , ive spoken to my vet and she thinks he maybe senstive to some ingredients so they want to do further tests.

In the mean time she recommends hills or Royal canin , i tried him on royal canin before and he still has the runs.

She said she wants me to change the diet to she if it works , only plan chicken seems to clear his Diarrhea up.

Can anyone recommend a good cat food which may help or be good?

I have some Bozita chuncks but i have not given him any yet as not sure if wet food would make it worse?

He has around 6 poos or more a day and it goes everywhere , it takes me ages to clean out the litter tray plus he sometimes gets it stuck to his paws and it goes everywhere as i cant keep watch on him 24.7

Hope someone can give some good advice , i think i may try him on Applaws next or james wellbeloved?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:05:24 AM by Essexuk »

Link to CatChat