Author Topic: Update on Mitzys health  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
Update on Mitzys health
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:19:59 AM »
So I posted a while ago about how I took Mitzy in for his jabs, he stopped eating developed and abscess which had to be drained and had teeth pulled because of tartar? Well...we went in again today for his second round of vaccinations and here's an update:

He only has 10 teeth left. So although he hasn't been eating properly my regular vet assures me this is normal. It'll stil be a few weeks before his gums have fully healed. Healso advises me to administer Metacam as and when Mitzy tels m he nds it. Judge it on a regular basis.
The vet who was filling in for him said: He shoul bb eating. I don't know why h's not. Stop giving him metacam and if he isn't eating poprly [this] week it's probably an internal problem and they'll ned to run blood. So you can tell how much faith I have in her? Given the fact I ignored her advice to stop giving him metacam.

Mitzy IS eating again, but not properly. He was on A/D dissolved in warm water. We moved onto hi life in warm water. Not completly dissolved, but still... Now we're just onto hi life. No added water He is picking at it, slowly. Not eating as much as he should, but he is interested. He also keeps trying to eat his dry food and treats, but failing miserably. He can however eat as much ham as you care to dangle in his face. Of course you do have to shred it for him, but that's always been a requirement :P

His abscess has almost completly healed, it's about the size of a fingernail now and Andy is pleased with how it's healing.

He is now fully vaccinated, so when I got in from the stitching club I run, I let him out in the front garden where he had a nice five minute exploration. He came back inside on his own accord. I have no idea how to go about letting him be an outdoor cat again. My ex advises me to just stand in the doorway and watch, he'll wander off on his own, but I worry.

Also, I'd like to teach him to come and go as he pleases, but this involves using a window. I have no idea how to show him this either. But we're muddling through. He's a lot happier, healthier and we're not booked in with the vets again.

Link to CatChat