Author Topic: Fleas information?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: Fleas information?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 17:53:05 PM »
My vet reccomended I treat every 3 weeks in the beginning because I did have a bad infestation.

I have done so with good results and no side effects  ;D

Of course I would seek you're own vets advice on this. ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 17:54:04 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »
Stronghold's ovicidal activity (ability to stop viable eggs) works for 3 weeks so it may be worth retreating in 3 weeks time)

Amo-angelus, please dont be tempted to treat the cat more often then the manufacturer reccommends  :scared:  Treating the cat monthly and the environment with a good quality spray from the vets/online pharmacy to control the eggs will do the job and do it safely

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »
Stronghold take up to 24hrs to start killing fleas..
In this time the active drug (selamectin) is distributed systemically (blood stream) and topically (skin).

Don't worry just yet. It should still work. You may well see fleas after 48hrs, but these could be new fleas from the environment that haven't bitten the cat yet. You should start to see dead fleas in the cats coat. Newly hatched fleas in the environment wait until a heat source or close vibrations are detected. This indicates to them that a potential host/blood source is nearby. Regular vacuuming stimulates this response and helps speed up the flea life cycle.

Stronghold's ovicidal activity (ability to stop viable eggs) works for 3 weeks so it may be worth retreating in 3 weeks time)

Don't forget that if fleas are seen on a cat, then the environment needs treating. Especially cats bedding, carpets, cracks and under furniture because hatched flea larvae hide in dark places.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:24:40 AM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:47 AM »
Sorry - pass  :evillaugh:

Hopefully someone else will know but I think you have to leave it at least 2 weeks between treatments.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:11:51 AM »
Ok, I won't. It's good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't got it perfect ^_^

what do I do if he still has fleas after 48 hours? Just out of curiosity?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »
Definitely don't give him another dose. It can take up to 24 hours to get them all. I think it has to get into the bloodstream and they will die when they bite. Stronghold does kill most worms but you will still need to treat for tapeworm.

I rarely manage to get it all in the right pace and not had any problems  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
Fleas information?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:05:51 AM »
So I gave my kitty some strong hold flea treatment because my vets recommended it over front line because this also prevents worms as well as killing fleas...

Well I put it on his neck at noon, but he figited and I got some on my finger too, not much, most of it went on his neck. Anyway seeing as he's asleep on my lap, I've been playing with his fur. And it's gone 3am and I've found and lost two fleas. One by his neck and one by his back legs. So what I'd like to know is:
How long till the fleas die?
Seeing as I got some on my finger should I give him another dose or will it still work? Or what?

Link to CatChat