Author Topic: Puglia Cat Rescue  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Technically Blonde

• Adult Cat
  • Bimba - one relaxed rescued cat!
    • Our Life in Italy
Re: Puglia Cat Rescue
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
 :thanks:
Do you think you could pass on the contact details of the person in Sardinia?
TB

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Puglia Cat Rescue
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »
my oh's family live in umbria a couple of kms from Assisi - sadly I know that drowning or putting unwanted kittens near hotels who may or may not feed them is fairly common - I have been in contact with somebody who does trapping and neutering in Sardinia to try and get some help but as an outsider it isn't easy - I wish you all the best with this, cats and dogs in rural parts of Italy have very hard lives.   

Offline Technically Blonde

• Adult Cat
  • Bimba - one relaxed rescued cat!
    • Our Life in Italy
Puglia Cat Rescue
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
We moved here to Puglia nearly 3 years ago and, although we love it here, one of the things we don't like is the lack of concern for cats. There are many many cats living wild, strays, abandoned, born wild. The locals just don't believe in neutering. We started with 2 english cats that we brought with us, and now we have added 10 italian cats, most recently Blossom and her three kittens.

All the cats that we have taken in have been, or will be when they are old enough, neutered.

We also feed a group of cats in the next "contrada" to us. A friend who has a holiday home there has donated the use of her garage, food and money for medication for the Contrada Cat Club. Bob goes there every day and feeds all the cats that turn up. Currently we have 3 kittens (it was 4 but we found little Ging dead in the road today), 2 tabby and one black, 2 yearlings, both tabby (Barney and Monty), and Buster who is about 2 now and is the founder member of the Contrada Cat Club. Although these cats were born in the wild they are used to humans and come to be fussed as well as fed.

We would like to try and find homes for them. Inspired by our friends Val and Mino, who rescue abandoned dogs here, who are rehoming dogs back to the UK, we would like to try and do the same thing with these cats and kittens. We will work together with any prospective adopters to get the cats their pet passports and arrange transport back to the UK. If anyone would like to provide a home for an italian kitty please please contact me.

As well as rehoming the cats our aim is to set up a Neuter and Return scheme and ultimately an Animal Shelter. Any help anyone can give in anyway will be very much appreciated.
TB

Link to CatChat