Author Topic: Kitten milk - yay or nay?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Kitten milk - yay or nay?
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 22:51:12 PM »
Mine have cat milk too. I know it's not neccessary but they love it, especially Daisy, and I love to see her lil milky bottom lip after she's had some  :Luv:
They only have a third of (I think) a 100ml bottle once a day between the 4 of them.

My thoughts exactly, a little bit of what you fancy and all that...  :)

Riley demonstrating the milky bottom lip  :Luv2:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 18:36:06 PM »
Mine have cat milk too. I know it's not neccessary but they love it, especially Daisy, and I love to see her lil milky bottom lip after she's had some  :Luv:
They only have a third of (I think) a 100ml bottle once a day between the 4 of them.

Offline burstingbug

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:54 AM »
I will get some today and give him a little bit I think.

I was also asked if he'd had any tit bits like egg, fish or chicken :-:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 07:14:57 AM »
I would agree completly with Susanne, Kitten milk is not necessary and with the other comments too.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:40:06 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 21:58:33 PM »
Beijing and Archie a.k.a The doodles here from the Clan Cats we are 9 and 13 weeks respectively and both love our kitten milk so we say please let you baby have some

we also eat kitten food and love Applaws and whiskas and felix and some other stuff thats foreign from something called Zooplus

Our big cat siblings also love cat milk and Mummy says we can have some when we are older! :Luv:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 20:21:03 PM »
No need to give cat milk at all.  If you want to, and they like it, then by all means give them a small amount but it isn't necessary.  Milk should be counted as a food and you need to take into account that it is not a complete food so should only be fed in small amounts.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 19:08:53 PM »
A complete wet food diet is fine, once weaned they stop making the neccessary stomach enzymes so dont worry about him missing out, even cat milk can give diarrhoea so i say if it isnt broke dont fix it  :shy:

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 13:24:41 PM »
when I first brought Indy into the house he was only 6 weeks old and mid-weaning

he wouldn't drink water and barely ate wet food, no dry, so on vets advice he had kitten milk and minced wet food in a gooey slop
then milk in a dish and next to it the wet food.

now at 5 months he gets a splash of milk in the evenings to try and help him gain weight. The tesco kitten milk is goats milk with added nutrients

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
I gave my two kitten milk from Pets at Home, I'm sure it's not essential but they really enjoyed it.  In fact they became milk addicts and I had to wean them off it! 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:50:34 AM »
Hiya

I think the jury is out on milk to be honest!  Its not an essential part of a cats diet, and normal cows milk can upset tums, I would guess moreso in developing kittens?

The kitten/cat milk is better, but again is usually considered supplementary to a 'normal' diet, or a treat as it is technically still a food. 

It can be useful however if your cat doesn't drink much water, as its liquid of course.

I'm sure you'll get lots more feedback, but I don't think you need to worry about what your friend has said  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline burstingbug

• Adult Cat
Kitten milk - yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:24:23 AM »
I've read that they should not have cat/kitten milk, but one of my friends is concerned that I am not giving Mischief any milk.
Whats the score on this?
Mischief is 10 weeks old now and has gone from 1 pouch of food a day to 2 pouches.

Link to CatChat