Author Topic: Should i get my cat neatured???  (Read 4946 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: Should i get my cat neatured???
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 14:00:07 PM »
Just seen this now and agree with what everyone else already said: 100% yes to neutering!!!

I had SUCH problems with an unneutered tom in our area, spraying down our patio and beating up my (neutered) boy Jameson!!! This cat literally tried taking over Jamesons territory - to the point where he'd come inside thru the flap, eat J's food, while my poor boy tried defending his territory, just to get attacked and then chased away. I had to take him to get neutered, and literally, the next day he was a changed cat!! So laid back, calm and purry. (he's gone to a great home now by the way).

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 22:21:01 PM »
when my boy had his pockets picked you'd never have known the difference even later the same day

Might notice the difference a little more with a Sphinx  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 21:21:59 PM »
Great you getting him chipped and neutered and my vet said the temperature chips dont always work, so reckon a normal chip is best  ;D

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 18:09:56 PM »
Am glad you have decided to get him neutered, he won't even notice it's been done probably :evillaugh:

I remember when I got Hobbes done the vet said to keep him in for a little while in case he decided to jump over a fence or something and hurt himself. Oh says I it's ok he's an indoor cat. Oh he'll be fine then says the vet. So what happens - I wake up in the middle of the night to find Hobbes on top of the wardrobe where he had jumped up  :Crazy: needless to say he was fine after his op  :rofl:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 08:48:16 AM »
Yup, my little boy cost about £30 to neuter :)

Rest assured, he will barely need convalescence!  My boy was running about and jumping as normal later the same day, and absolutely ravenous after being 'starved' for 24 hours!  It's a very simple op, so doesn't take too long and I've not heard of any cats having problems with it.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 21:21:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure I didn't pay far off £95 to get my 2 boys neutered - not one!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 18:55:03 PM »
£95 for a neuter, god knows what a spay is!  :Crazy:

Its such a quick op they dont notice, a special tea is needed of course to make up for the day in the vets

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 18:32:10 PM »
Glad you have found a different vet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 18:27:29 PM »
when my boy had his pockets picked

:evillaugh: First time I have heard that expression  :rofl:

I agree with everyone else. All the neutered male cats I have known are the nicest natured and affectionate cats.
My Clapton is so placid compared to the neurotic 3 girls  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 17:57:07 PM »
Totally agree with everything already said - when my boy had his pockets picked you'd never have known the difference even later the same day if he didn't keep reaching down for his customary lick and coming up with a puzzled look on his face! :rofl:  You won't regret it and if you're going back to your original vets for anything else definitely worth checking if they're ripping you off on other costs too!  Hopefully you'll like the cheaper one and keep going there .... £95????!!! :omg:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 17:33:13 PM »
Sounds like you've found a mroe reasonable vet. :) I agree cats should always be neutered and personally think it's cruel not to (unless they are specifically for breeding). I would posted the CP info if it wasn't already in the thread! He's 5 months as well so the perfect age for the snip and he will bounce back straight away. Oscar was jumping around, climging the furniture within a couple of hours of his op and I am having my Rufus done in a few weeks and have no doubt he will be the same. While I can understand your concerns, it really is such a simple and routine procedure that has nothing but benefits... boys are so easy to do that they don't even need stitches! The advice is to keep them in for 10 days after neutering usually to allow time to heal but if he's an indoor cat you don't even need to worry about that so will be no problems at all! :D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 14:26:15 PM »
Not sure what gender you are but some men become very uncomfortable at the thought of neutering a male cat

Unfortunately that is so very true. But what I  cannot understand is that these men often have a wife and the wife dare no go against what her husband thinks. Silly women.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 13:36:21 PM »
If you're unemployed or otherwise on benefits, try getting a voucher from the RSPCA or Cats Protection. This may cover at least part of the cost if that's a problem. The RSPCA were very willing to hand out vouchers for the entire cost of neutering some ferals I rescued, but that was because they were feral.

He'll be a much more loving cat for being neutered. Neutered males are great. Instead of spending their time looking for a queen, they seek affection from you. An unneutered tom who can't mate becomes very aggressive. On the other hand, if you let an unneutered tom go out, you'll reduce his likely lifespan by about 10 years - fights, crossing roads to find females, becoming infected with FIV and FELV etc etc

Not sure what gender you are but some men become very uncomfortable at the thought of neutering a male cat.  :)
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
I agree with everyone else, he will start to spray at some point....
I wouldn't have the bio-chip......just go for a normal one.

Neutering costs do vary but £95 is  :wow:
I would deff have a ring about

Have you any pictures of your little one ????    :Luv2:

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 10:45:39 AM »
the technology on the bio-chips is yet to be perfected - sounds like that is a vet who is fond of gadgets, and has his clients subsidise their purchase!!!

Ah this other vet said he can do bio-chip at extra cost , i agreed , but if this is true about them not being pefected yet , i think ill tell him to stick to the normal one.

I tired to google them but i couldnt find much information.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
I would agree blackcat, anyway that is what my vet told me and said he won't use them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:39:02 AM by Ela »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
the technology on the bio-chips is yet to be perfected - sounds like that is a vet who is fond of gadgets, and has his clients subsidise their purchase!!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »
No sure how far this vet is from you but they charge £30 for neutering. http://www.allanimalsvetclinic.co.uk/
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
No they just wanted £95 to have him neatured , it was £30 extra for chipping

I would ring  around as that is outrageous almost unbelievable. I can accept the chip cost although that too seems a little excessive especially how much they pay for chips.
They told me its a new bio-chip what reads the cats temp.

but i agree the cost is a bit of a joke , i just rung round and found one for £30 , which im happy about , glad i never went with the first vet now.

Thank u for all the advice , if i never asked i probably would of paid the £95 plus the cost of the chip , now i can have both done for £50 :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »

I would ring  around as that is outrageous almost unbelievable. I can accept the chip cost although that too seems a little excessive especially how much they pay for chips.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 09:54:33 AM »
Blimey that is an expensive neuter, they are £32.90 at my vets, and £15 if chipped while under anaesthetic.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 09:53:45 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs,

The only change in temperment you will probably notice when you've had your boy neutered is he will become even more affectionate and cuddly (I know that's probably hard to believe that a sphynx can become more cuddly ... from what I know of them they are very people orientated at the best of times  ;) ).

With regards to the cost it is approx £40 to have a male neutered (of course this is a very approximate cost and varies between different areas of the courty and different vets).

Now to the fun part .... We would love to see pics of your boy ....so we can all oooh and ahh at him.

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 09:52:53 AM »
£95 for a neuter and chip, are you sure? Where do you live in the middle of Kensington?

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
Round here Neuters are about £30 is although a cheap-o vet who I would not take a dying flea charges only £20.

Chipping is Approx £23.50

Oh though prices are a lot different to what i was quoted , ill guess ill have to ring around , thanks for that

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »
£95 for a neuter and chip, are you sure? Where do you live in the middle of Kensington?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
Round here Neuters are about £30 is although a cheap-o vet who I would not take a dying flea charges only £20.

Chipping is Approx £23.50

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
Ah just phoned my vets they want £95 to have him done , thanks for all the advice , im going to ring back to try and book him in as soon as possible.

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »
Please do book him in to be done, he will be much happier for it, and the op for males is very quick and routine - I missed a call from my vet when my last male foster was done, and when I rang back 10 mins later, he was done and awake!! even the two cats I have had done where there has been an undescended testical have bounced back quickly

Thanks , i deffo going to get him done , how much is it rougly , about £100? its my first cat so not really sure about these things.

I want to get him microchipped at the same time , even though he is a house cat , i do worry incase someone breaks in my home or his some how gets out

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Please do book him in to be done, he will be much happier for it, and the op for males is very quick and routine - I missed a call from my vet when my last male foster was done, and when I rang back 10 mins later, he was done and awake!! even the two cats I have had done where there has been an undescended testical have bounced back quickly
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
Many cats startrunning around almost as soon as they come home.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:36:48 AM »
Advice our beanch of CP give out.

PLEASE GIVE THE ADVICE OUT TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A CAT.

Every year, HUNDREDS THOUSANDS OF cats and millions, of other animals are euthanased because they were born into a world that does not have enough homes for them. For every one companion animal who lives indoors with a human family and receives the attention, health care, and emotional support that he or she needs, there are thousands just barely surviving. Millions of domestic animals never know a kind human touch and live hard lives on the street before dying equally hard deaths

Benefits of Neutering (males):
Reduces or eliminates risk of spraying and marking
Less desire to roam, therefore less likely to be in road traffic accidents, injured or cause injury to others in fights .
Decreases aggressive behaviour.
Risk of testicular cancer is eliminated  and decreases incidence of prostate disease. So indoor cats need neutering too.

Benefits of Spaying (females):
No heat cycles, therefore males will not be attracted.
Less desire to roam
Risk of mammary gland tumors, ovarian and/or uterine cancer is reduced or eliminated. Even one season increases the chance of cancer later in life. So indoors cats need spaying also.  Cats & dogs will not acquire pyometra a life threatening infection.  

Neuters & spays reduces the risk of  lFIV & FeLV
Reduces the number of unwanted cats/kittens and dogs/puppies. Many go on to lead very short sad lives.
Helps cats (& dogs) live 3 – 5 YEARS LONGER, healthier lives.

Recently we had 38 unneutered/unspayed cats tested for Leukaemia & aids 35 were positive. if only one of these had come into contact with any of your cats male or female it could so easily be passed on.

Cats lives have been saved many times when a vet noticed something wrong with a cat that would have remained unnoticed until it was too late had the cat not gone for a neuter/spay.

Cats are 45 times as prolific, and dogs 15 times as prolific, as humans.

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:35:55 AM »
Neutering will reduce the chances of him starting to spray, certainly. All entire toms will spray and the only reason he is not doing it yet is because he is not sexually mature. I would never have a cat who was not neutered and it would be particularly cruel to have an entire tom who was never mating with a queen (imagine the sexual frustration he would feel). Breeding from a cat who is not sold to you for breeding purposes is irresponsible, so go with it! get him neutered, and you will have a happy, well-balanced cat who is suffering less from disease and injury and who will be a pleasure to have around the house! ;D

No i have no plans to breed him , i think ill deffo get it done then as i couldnt cope with a cat spraying everywhere , how long will the cat need to rest after his op? he is quite a hyperactive cat so i dont think he will rest for to long lol
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:36:18 AM by Essexuk »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »
Neutering will reduce the chances of him starting to spray, certainly. All entire toms will spray and the only reason he is not doing it yet is because he is not sexually mature. I would never have a cat who was not neutered and it would be particularly cruel to have an entire tom who was never mating with a queen (imagine the sexual frustration he would feel). Breeding from a cat who is not sold to you for breeding purposes is irresponsible, so go with it! get him neutered, and you will have a happy, well-balanced cat who is suffering less from disease and injury and who will be a pleasure to have around the house! ;D

Offline Essexuk

• Kitten
Should i get my cat neatured???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »
I have a male Sphynx he is 5 months old now coming up to 6 , im not sure if i should have him done??

I feel its a bit curel to have it done to him as he does not spray  or anything , he does not go outside for obvious reasons so is it worth having him done?

Do all cats what have not been neatured  spray?

Also anyone know the cost of getting it done?

Cost is not an issue , im just worried about his personailty maybe changing if he has it done , or something may go wrong is my main concern.
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:24:07 AM by Essexuk »

Link to CatChat