Author Topic: Mars starts using animal products  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
Re: Mars starts using animal products
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 17:05:32 PM »
the question is, do you believe them?  :shify:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:45:12 PM »
Finally got a reply.........

Dear Nikki

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Vegetarian suitability of our snack products.

Since the beginning of 2008, some of our best known chocolate snacks - including Mars bars, Snickers bars, Galaxy and Maltesers - now feature the words 'Suitable for Vegetarians' and a letter 'V' printed before the best before date, based on the guidance from the Food Standards Agency relating to vegetarian labelling.

We introduced the scheme in response to feedback we received in 2007 when we announced that some of our products might not be suitable for vegetarians. This was a result of changing the supply source of some of the whey we use to make chocolate from a vegetarian-friendly variety to one with traces of rennet, an animal enzyme.

Having listened to concerns from more than 6000 of our consumers, we quickly realised we had made a mistake, we apologised, and we immediately reversed the decision. As a result of changing back to our vegetarian-friendly whey, Mars bars, Snickers bars, Galaxy and Maltesers are once again suitable for vegetarians.

As a company, we believe in clear, transparent labelling and we introduced this initiative because we want to make products suitable for vegetarians.

The vegetarian labelling appears on the back of pack where nutritional information, including Guideline Daily Amounts and ingredients is also listed. The labelling is applied to products which meet the FSA's guidance on vegetarian labelling.

Please find below, a list of current Mars UK products that are suitable for a vegetarian diet.

For the most up to date information you can access our website at www.marsconsumercare.co.uk.

Last updated at 13.00 on 14th March 2008

MARS Standard Bar

MARS Duo

MARS Snacksize

SNICKERS Standard Bar

SNICKERS Duo

SNICKERS Snacksize

GALAXY Dark

GALAXY Milk Chocolate Bars

GALAXY Milk Chocolate Snacksize Bars

GALAXY Ripple

GALAXY Minstrels

Milk Chocolate MALTESERS

White Chocolate MALTESERS

REVELS

TRACKER Burst of Berries Bar

TRACKER Zingy Lemon Bar

TRACKER Roast Nut Bar

TRACKER Choc Chip Bar

STARBURST Chews Original

STARBURST Strawberry Mix

STARBURST Sours

STARBURST Choozers

AQUADROPS

LOCKETS

TUNES

For information on the vegetarian status of our drinks range see our dedicated website:

http://www.marsdrinks.co.uk/drinks.htm

If you need any further information or advice please contact our Consumer Careline on the telephone number below and one of our Consumer Care Advisors will be more than happy to help you.

Kind regards.

Josephine Connah
Consumer Care Team
0800 952 1234

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 13:08:54 PM »
No reply but have emailed again.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 13:16:04 PM »
This was from a year ago. I think they backed down when they realised they would lose veggies, Muslims and jews + anyone that didn'r fancy animal in their choclit  :-:

They issued a statement along the lines of "We should have asked our customers first"
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 13:07:13 PM »
I have emailed Mars themselves, will let you know what reply I get.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 13:02:56 PM »
If I don't heart from Notts AR over the next day I will write to Mars myself.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 13:01:40 PM »
Thanks

I hope they don't try this again it was a mistake last time and its still a mistake
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 13:00:13 PM »
I'll double check with Notts AR's hun

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »
This was last year wasn't it? and didn't they back down? have changed their minds back again?
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Mars starts using animal products
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »

Mars starts using animal products

Some of the UK's best-selling chocolate bars, such as Mars and Twix, will no longer be suitable for vegetarians.

Also affecting brands such as Snickers and Maltesers, owner Masterfoods said it had started to use animal product rennet to make its chocolate products.

Masterfoods said the change was due to it switching the sourcing of its ingredients and the admission was a "principled decision" on its part.

The Vegetarian Society said the company's move was "incomprehensible".

'Extremely disappointed'

Masterfoods said it had started using rennet from 1 May and non-affected products had a "best before date" up to 1 October.

Masterfoods' decision to use non-vegetarian whey is a backward step
Vegetarian Society

Rennet, a chemical sourced from calves' stomachs, is used in the production of whey.

It will now also be found in Bounty, Minstrels and Milky Way products, and the ice cream versions of all Masterfoods' bars.

"If the customer is an extremely strict vegetarian, then we are sorry the products are no longer suitable, but a less strict vegetarian should enjoy our chocolate," said Paul Goalby, corporate affairs manager for Masterfoods.

The Vegetarian Society said it was "extremely disappointed".

"At a time when more and more consumers are concerned about the provenance of their food, Masterfoods' decision to use non-vegetarian whey is a backward step," it said in a statement.

"Mars products are very popular with young people and many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of young calves," it added.

Link to CatChat