Author Topic: I want to copyright my litter tray idea  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Re: I want to copyright my litter tray idea
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 22:40:37 PM »
I seriously think it is dangerous. If the cat slipped, it could drown. It could hit its head or twist a muscle etc.

I don't agree with them anyway - cat's aren't meant to use the toilet.   They could slip and hit their head off the toilet but they couldn't fall down the hole as its too small at the moment and there is 2 parts of it to make it really sturdy.

If you dont clean the seat you may have a nice mess on the carpet to clear up instead, i wouldnt use a dirty toilet so wouldnt expect cats too

It won't be my mess to clear up from the floor anyway - however, there isn't really a mess on the floor anyway it's just the poo gets stuck to the side of the kwitter if they don't make it down the hole into the toilet.  I would have no problem cleaning up after my cats but I'm not going to that extreme for someone's else's I'm afraid so I'm just trying to keep it as clean as I possibly can as I understand that it isn't fair to let them use a totally dirty kwitter.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 18:08:12 PM »
If you dont clean the seat you may have a nice mess on the carpet to clear up instead, i wouldnt use a dirty toilet so wouldnt expect cats too

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 13:57:36 PM »
I seriously think it is dangerous. If the cat slipped, it could drown. It could hit its head or twist a muscle etc.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 13:24:20 PM »
My friend is currently training her cats to use the litter kwitter but they can't get past one of the stages - think they're 2nd last from them actually using the toilet.

They're on holiday just now though and I'm cat minding - and that kwitter is disgusting.  You end up with pee/poo all over the seat....which I am refusing to clean up.    It's a good idea in theory but in practice its not nice.....and not nice when you have visitors round and when they want to use the toilet they have to remove the kwitter first.  Eeww!   :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
I have tried that kind and ended up throwing the rim away. What I was thinking of was more like an iron maiden type thing around the inside to stop them peeing up the sides - blunt ended though  :scared:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »
http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/13044/8629193941001847902.html

I tried or rather my cats did similar to those many, many years ago and I was not impressed
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 08:40:57 AM »
ummm, you can't because that already exists. I bought my rabbits a deep tray and it came with one of those so...not a new idea thus you can't own it.

It was only meant tongue in cheek.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 08:39:20 AM »
I had another thought about the litter kwitter. One of the main points of animal welfare is that animals are allowed to "express normal behaviour" which to me would include being able to dig a hole, do their business and then cover it up.

This is without the issues of cats falling down the toilet of falling off awkwardly. I think it is just a plain stupid idea and could only have originated in America.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:39:52 AM by Mark »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 23:04:15 PM »
Not really - the rim (in my mind) has to be low in the tray, almost touching the litter at an angle, to stop then peeing up the side.

Wouldn't stop them standing up and peeing against the side higher up  ;D  I think your main problem would be that you would be creating corners and angles that would be difficult to clean.  if it was too low, it would be very easy for them to pee against the side higher up, if it was too high they'd get in underneath  :rofl:  Tbh, I dont really have a problem scraping it off the side provided I'm using good litter and not tigerino nuggies that breaks up into zillions of pieces as soon as you touch it with the scoop!

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 21:27:45 PM »
ummm, you can't because that already exists. I bought my rabbits a deep tray and it came with one of those so...not a new idea thus you can't own it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 21:26:23 PM »
Not really - the rim (in my mind) has to be low in the tray, almost touching the litter at an angle, to stop then peeing up the side.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 19:29:39 PM »
This is with a rim to hold liner in place but not sure this is what you had in mind Mark?

http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/13044/8629193941001847902.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 19:15:12 PM »
Think its been done Mark. You can buy them with rims that come off - I think they're designed for people who use litter tray liners. :P

I'm happy as long as I can buy them - are they covered?

I wonder who sells them?

Offline lilynmitz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 19:10:37 PM »
My two constantly pee over the edge of the tray - the higher the sides of the tray, the higher they pee!!  After much muttering and mopping of floors, I finally got two covered trays.  No more problem.  I dread the day they work out how to pee out of the opening at the front.  I think they're building up to it........ Oh no!!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 18:01:48 PM »
Think its been done Mark. You can buy them with rims that come off - I think they're designed for people who use litter tray liners. :P

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 17:29:04 PM »
I would love to try a tray like that with Clapton as the clumps are always stuck to the side of the tray  :sick:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 17:26:50 PM »
Mark Lexy's first litter tray was this large pink thing.. that had a ridge around it...

:-[

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 17:07:13 PM »
not all cats are tiny.

Penguin will only use a big uncovered tray so litter goes everywhere.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 16:59:55 PM »
Thanks Sabrina. I think the ridge would have to be at least  3 - 4 inches all round but you would end up with a huge tray  :Crazy:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 16:26:22 PM »
Jaffa would still manage to pee around the edges. He has a pretty good aim.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 16:06:19 PM »
I'm going to be pedantic but its a patent you need not a copyright :evillaugh:

I know what I meant  :evillaugh:

I think the Litter Kwitter is a dangerous gimmick  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 16:07:46 PM by Mark »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 15:57:50 PM »
Do you know what I saw at PAH when I last went there?? This plastic thing you put over the (human) loo seat for the cats to practice peeing and pooing in! It's in 3 steps and they learn to balance on the loo seat and pee/poo into a litter tray. Once they learn the ropes you then remove the actual tray underneath it and they will pee/poo into the toilet!

I've now seen and heard it all! Apparently it works too!

Litter Kwitter. I looked at them, but there's no way Carrie could get on the toilet every time she had a call of nature. Poor old girl! Jack goes outside anyway, but the other two might master it.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 14:33:50 PM »
So how deep would this ridge extend inside the tray Mark?  Would Clapton be prepared to stretch that far getting in and out? 

One of my auntie's puds in Ireland uses the toilet to pee in. She never taught him, she just caught him doing it one day  :wow:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 14:22:27 PM »
I'm going to be pedantic but its a patent you need not a copyright :evillaugh:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 14:20:40 PM »
Do you know what I saw at PAH when I last went there?? This plastic thing you put over the (human) loo seat for the cats to practice peeing and pooing in! It's in 3 steps and they learn to balance on the loo seat and pee/poo into a litter tray. Once they learn the ropes you then remove the actual tray underneath it and they will pee/poo into the toilet!

I've now seen and heard it all! Apparently it works too!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I want to copyright my litter tray idea
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 14:13:05 PM »
basically there is a ridge all the way round the inside about 2 or 3 inches from the base. The idea is so they can't pee at the edges  :tired:

Link to CatChat