Author Topic: L-Lysine  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: L-Lysine
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 16:24:39 PM »
There was a US ebay powerseller (ie registered for years, thousands of sales etc) that sells it but they don't ship internationally.  They do have a website aswell and will ship internationally through the website - shipping is $19.50 which is around £10 so a bit better.

http://shaunamariandco.ecrater.com/index.php

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 23:53:23 PM »
This is the L-Lysine that I use, which I purchase through my vet here in the USA. 

http://www.vetamerica.com/browseproducts/Vet-Solutions-Viralys-for-cats-Gel-5-oz.HTML

I wonder if this product is under a different name in the UK? Maybe you could email Vet Solutions and ask them if they manufacture under a another name?  I'm sorry you all are having such a hard time locating the paste.  The shipping charges are outrageous to ship from the USA to the UK. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 23:55:41 PM by HunterHarleyMum (Val) »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 23:12:55 PM »
Is that paste available on any US site that would sell to the UK or even US ebay? (would it be legal to post it over here?). Paste is so much easier than a tablet. I would love to get Swampy some as there's no other treatment for his chronic cold.

The one I use from yourhealtfoodstore is in capsule form - so you just split the capsule and sprinkle powder on the food, no tablets to give!

There is a paste from this company http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pages/global_04.html but when I emailed them it wasnt available here in the UK - but its the same company that makes Ipakitin (Epakitine) which we can can here, so maybe you could ask your vet if he can get it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 23:16:38 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 22:11:32 PM »
http://www.entirelypets.com/ will ship to the UK but it's $36 (£18ish) shipping wheras the gel itself is only $9. 

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 22:02:21 PM »
From looking around I can't find it and have been trying for some time but I guess it's possible. The powder is available over here and that can be mixed with wet food. Personally, I crush the tablets and mix into a paste with a few drops of water and syringe to Layla and that does the trick.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 21:14:25 PM »
Is that paste available on any US site that would sell to the UK or even US ebay? (would it be legal to post it over here?). Paste is so much easier than a tablet. I would love to get Swampy some as there's no other treatment for his chronic cold.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 21:02:35 PM »
The gel that HunterHarleyMum (Val) mentions is not available in the UK- my vet has been on the case and we definately can't get it over here. My vet has recently advised me that a regular dose of up to 500mg is fine if your cats have regular flare ups.  As Gillian said though, definately build it up slowly.

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 18:21:38 PM »
Hi rachael1981

We recently had another discussion about L-Lysine in this thread....

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,17704.0.html

I use Vet Solutions Viralys L-Lysine supplement for cats.  I get it through my vet.  It is a gel that I just put on my finger and my cats lick it off, just like using hairball remedy paste.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 17:46:32 PM »
I've just bought the 500mg capsules from yourhealthfoodstore.co.uk but am unsure how much to give the kitties? I have 3 of them and would like them all to start having it so will be sprinkling it on their food - should i give them one capsule each?

The dose I used to give my cats with herpesvirus, if thats what you are giving it for, was 250mg per day, up to 500mg (for no longer than a week) per day during a flare up.

BUT - if they've never had lysine before, build up to the dose gradually over a period over several days to a week, because all amino acids can cause tummy upsets if given in a straight off large dose.

Offline rachael1981

• Adult Cat
L-Lysine
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:54:51 AM »
I've just bought the 500mg capsules from yourhealthfoodstore.co.uk but am unsure how much to give the kitties? I have 3 of them and would like them all to start having it so will be sprinkling it on their food - should i give them one capsule each?

Link to CatChat