Author Topic: How to build trust with my cat?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
Re: How to build trust with my cat?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 15:01:08 PM »
If I try to stroke him he lowers his back etc and ducks down. He does come to me sometimes especially at night and early mornings but during the day he doesn't ever want to know.

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 14:24:27 PM »
It just takes time and lots of interaction with playing, scratching, talking, treats. I have found with my first two rescue boys that they quite quickly realised I wasn't actually going to hurt them but a lot more time to actually trust me enough to let me scratch their tummies and for them to sit on my lap. I would agree with giving him space and not forcing yourself on him. Let him come to you.

Right now I have a new girl who is very timid and I am going very slowly with her. Just letting her come to me. I am also finding that using peacock feathers (From Purrs shop) are working well, in that she feels more confident with a bit of space but I can play with her using the feathers.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 13:42:46 PM »
Jess was also very nevous and untrusting to start with.

After many hours of hard work playing, feeding and cuddling on his terms we've got there and now he adores me.

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 09:26:40 AM »
I got a rehomed cat who was  very upset.
play with the cat, spoil them, give them loads of attention, and just love them.  It will come.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:12 AM »
How long have you had Him ??
are you being a bad slave ??
in my experiance for gaining trust I would recommend you " Spoil em Rotten !! "  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:51:29 AM »
What is he doing that makes you think that he doesn't trust you? There are plenty of trust building exercises you can do with your cat. Some work better than others and some faster than others depending on what the problem is and why.

If kitty doesn't trust you just because he doesn't know you, then just a bit of time and affection will work.

FirstlyI would just give him his space. Don't overcrowd him and just let him get used to you. Watch him. As he comes closer to you reward him. Reward small steps. Stroke him and just let him come to you. When he's comfortable around him groom him and play with him. Grooming and playing is how cats socialize with each other naturally and helps form strong bonds, but you have to do it all in the cat's time.

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
How to build trust with my cat?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 00:58:56 AM »
I don't think my cat trusts me is there any way I can build his trust and make him more fond of me.

Link to CatChat