Author Topic: Absolutly furious!  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Absolutly furious!
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »
Hope he is better today
Please spay your cat

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 23:26:28 PM »
So I got home and Mitzy is still walking funny. When I went to work he was walking like I expected, trying to walk off the drugs, but he's still unsteady. Like he's almost falled on the bed a few times now when he's lost his balance and he seems to be limping on the paw with the sticky plaster on it. The limp is now barely noticible, but his balance is scaring me.

I rang the vets but my branch is closed and the lady on the phone simply said that she was a receptionist and I'd need to go in to get advice, only the only branch open is like two and a half hours travel away for me by bus.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 23:20:35 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Mitzy and your awful vet experience.  I hope he's getting better.  I understand where your coming from....my boy's are my babies too and it is so hard when they are not well and you have to rely on other people (vets) to make them better for you.  :hug:

Unfortunately I know a few people who don't keep up their cat's or dog's vaccinations - they seem to think once they've had their initial jags that that's them sorted for life.   :brick:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 23:06:09 PM »
sorry to hear about Mitzy, hope he recovers soon  :hug

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 21:17:33 PM »
My sister took Jake the chinchilla in and got google vet while Andy was on holiday. She googled Jakes symptoms and then googled the medicines...My sister did not let her treat him, but was charged a consultation fee anyway. Needless to say, when she comes in we refuse to see her at all. Funny...she's not been in the last few times Andy has been away.... She's only a temp so I reckon they just stopped bringing her in.

Yeah, we've had Andy as our vet since we were like 6. We currently have 30+ animals registered there between the three of us. And recommend them to loads of other people. It's like my sister took her dog in with a broken tooth which needed an op. Andy did the op personally, threw in a free clean for all of the teeth and offered to take out any extra damaged teeth for no charge simply because he hated to leave a dirty mouth. As it was Joe only needed the one removing. But that shows the extent he will go to to look after his clients. No one, but no one has a bad thing to say about him.

Mitzy will get better? I hope he's ok at home....on his own.... *wonders if anyone would notice her running home and bringing the cat in*

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 21:07:46 PM »
If your usual vet is good and you have a good relationship with them through previous visits, then I am sure you can work this out somehow.

Of course, it doesn't help that poor Mitzy and you have had to go through this experience. Time and love are great healers. You will both be fine  :Luv2:

I love the fact that you refer to one vet as 'google'. I presume this person has to look everything up all the time before making any decision about diagnosis?!

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 21:02:43 PM »
My usual vet owns part of the practice, but he's on jury duty at the moment which is why I've had to have incompetent vet (At least I didn't get google vet). He's back on the 22nd. So... I'm hoping he'll be the one to give mitzy his second lot of jabs on the 25th. But unfortunately, Mitzys post op will be by incompetent vet. I told Judy about my utter disappointment, but Judy's a nurse so I don't know if she'll translate that back to head office. But head office will be hearing about it. We put a lot of business their way, not only with our pets but that we recommend them a lot (Andy and Judy are amazing, but google and incompetent vet are a waste of space), so I reckon they'll at least take notice of the complaint.

Mitzy is my baby! I love him ever so much, I've been crying on and off since I saw his cut. And Oh...I went into the nurses office to collect him, opened up the carrier and he just came to snuggle in my arms. My sister tried to hold him, but he struggled and just came back into my arms.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 20:50:54 PM »
I've just caught up with this thread - what a terrible time you've had  :hug:

Of course, your main concern, quite rightly, is Mitzy and his health. You want to make him better and will do whatever it takes. But when he has recovered, maybe in a day or two you could raise your concerns with the veterinary practice (possibly a senior vet or practice manager) and explain that you think that the additional pain (not to mention cost!) could surely have been avoided if the problem had been diagnosed correctly in the first place? Put on record your quite reasonable concerns that Mitzy has suffered possibly longer than he should have done because of this.

It might not do anything other than make you feel slightly better by having the opportunity to vocalise your disappointment (anger?) at the situation but it might possibly cause them to be more attentive in the future / look into adjusting your bill.

Someone earlier mentioned that vaccinations should only be given to a fit and healthy cat - if Mitzy's recent history shows that he's been through the mill a bit, you may also wish to raise the decision to vaccinate now . . . .

Wishing you and Mitzy all the best, and strength to help you both through this distressing situation. It sounds like you have a great bond with one another and therefore I am sure that this is just a temporary blip and you'll both be right as rain asap,   :hug:

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 20:29:46 PM »
*is now in tears*
So I went home expecting the "Swelling" to have gone down seeing as how he had recovered alsewhere. But was horrified by what I found. His dinner was barely touched again so I started to worry and when I called him he didn't come. So I went to the loo and the fan light roused him from his sleep and he came to investigate me. I leave the door open because he gets upset if I'm in the house and he can't get to me.

Well he slowly stalks in and miows...and all the right side of his jaw is cut up and scabby and...I grabbed him, picked him up and cried over him as I rushed him to the vets an hour earlier than my appointment. I don't understand. Vets should be able to tell the difference between abscess and swelling and treat abscess before they burst right? And how did he get it? The vet is insisting that he's been fighting...but...Mitzy has been confined for a month and a bit. He's not been in a fight since before I got him. So surgery...

His teeth were done at the same time and that was clear that his oral problem would have been highlighted if they could have been bothered about him. "Numerous teeth" were pulled. And his neck is all covered in bright red blood on his white fur. My poor baby!!!!!!!!!! *sobs almost hysterically* And all he wants to do is curl up on my lap, and all I want to do is make him better. But I've been forced to come into work instead. I need to be with my baby! But how did he get that? He's not been in a fight for over a month. He's not been with other cats for over a month. Hell he's not even allowed near anything that could scratch him unless I'm in the room. So is it possible that it's a fight wound that's waited a month to form?

When my sisters piggies were neutered they got abscess a month after because the surgeon had messed up. So could it have been laying dormant?

All in all, today cost me...£231.95

So anyone know any good cat insurers?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 14:01:44 PM »
Sadly in my experience a lot of people tend to turn a blind eye to illness in their pets to save money but would never admit it.  People on Purrs are unfortunately the exception rather than the rule. I too share your disbelief and anger at the pet owning public generally. Ignorance can be no excuse. Having said that, I don't know how obvious it would have been to his previous "owners" that Mitzy had a mouth problem.  No excuse for them not having Mitzy vaccinated, chipped and annually checked by a vet though. 

Delighted anti biotics have done their job.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 21:01:36 PM »
Oh I know why they get so full. There's only one vet for like three towns and that vet doesn't have a surgery, so they have to take all the surgery animals over to Barnsley to get the surgery stuff done rather than be able to do it in that practice so they can only take so many over and that place can only do so many a day... It gets kinda busy. Plus they have to leave room for up to three emergencies in the surgery.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 16:31:51 PM »
To be fair to the vet as the vet thought it could wait a month or two if necessary, the tarter could not have been too bad. Also I understand why the vet may not have been able to do a dental for a couple of weeks. I know at our vets we sometimes have to wait a while unless of course it is life threatening as dentals are done last in the day and also they can only do so many a day as the equipment get hot very quickly.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 16:13:51 PM »
Sorry for giving Mitzy a quick sex chcnge!!  :rofl:  Hope he's still doing well.

Bonnie had lots of sores on her back and was biting her back and her owner didn't take her to the vet - the RSPCA found out and she was taken off them BUT it was too late and she had to have her tail removed.  Luckily she is as happy as anything and so loving and can jump and run all over.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 20:04:19 PM »
Yeah, this week is manic, I'm doing 15 hour shifts and instead of sleeping I was down at the vets ^_^

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 20:02:01 PM »
Oh right ok. Sorry, I've had three hours sleep today.

Yeah, after your post I will be making a complaint to the vets about them vaccinating him when there's rules in place that say not to.

LOL! lack of sleep  - know the feeling!  :hug:

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 19:58:02 PM »
Oh right ok. Sorry, I've had three hours sleep today.

Yeah, after your post I will be making a complaint to the vets about them vaccinating him when there's rules in place that say not to.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 19:56:04 PM »
I'm not angry with the vet. I'm angry with his former owner.

Yes I would be too - but what I meant is that I'd also be angry with the vet as per my previous comment, didnt make that clear LOL!

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 19:54:08 PM »
I'm not angry with the vet. I'm angry with his former owner.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 19:50:18 PM »
I think I'd have been a bit cross with the vet too! - I'd have wanted the teeth seeing to first, before any vaccinations, they are not so important, as mouth problems affect the whole system not just the mouth. Madness to vaccinate a cat with mouth problems in my opnion - vets know they lower the immune system, so you'd think they'd want him to be completely healthy before doing anything else. The vaccination manufacturers state that only healthy cats should be vaccinated. But anyway, glad Mitzy is on the mend now.  :hug:

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 19:12:08 PM »
Oh Bonnie is lovely! What was wrong with her tail that it had to be removed?

Mitzy is a boy despite the name by the way. He was thought to be a girl until they neutered him (Only did that because they were going away and didn't want to come home to kittens).

I just can't understand why you wouldn't take care of your baby? I mean am I totally insane? But I would personally go without food myself to make sure my babies were healthy and happy (and actually have done before). I mean they're your family. They're your babies. How can you just not care?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 19:01:19 PM »
I know exactly how you feel.  Bonnie's previous owner didn't take her to the vet and she had to have her tail removed.

The improtant thing is that she is happy and loved now and that is what you will have to think with your Mitzy.  So glad she is ok.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 19:00:34 PM »
He's complaining about the thermometer still. But I was so relieved, he perked up almost instantly.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 18:57:48 PM »
So pleased the anti-biotics have worked and Mitzy is getting cheeky again  :hug:

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
Absolutly furious!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 18:55:13 PM »
Why on Earth do people have pets if they can't be bothered to take care of them? I mean seriously! If you can't be bothered don't get a pet! >:(

So I took Mitzy in for his first round of jabs and was told that he had a tartar build up? But they couldn't fit him in for the treatment for another two weeks, so they could do that and his second round of jabs the same day. I really didn't think anything about it as the vet assured me that he was ok, it was nothing to worry about. I mean I was convinced it was going to kill him, but she assured me it wasn't urgent, but it did mean he probably wasn't grooming properly and eating was harder than normal. She even said that it could wait a month or two if I hadn't the funds in my budget.

Well I was a little angry that his previous owners had now not only neglected to vaccinate a fully outdoors cat, not only never IDed him but had now risked his health by letting him suffer like that. Although it's apparently not terrible, it's still gotta be hard for Mitzy right? So I was pretty angry. But given that it's a £70 proceedure I kinda see why they didn't do anything and let me figure it out myself.

Well I got home and he wasn't feeling right, and I just put it down to his jabs. Everyone apparently gets ill after jabs. But he only got worse. And Yesterday he stopped eating entirely, so I made an emergency appointment. Overnight one side of his jaw swelled so much it broke my heart when I felt it. Apparently the vaccinations lowered his immune system temporarily and the mouth thing plus de-fleaing was just too much for him. So he's been given anti-biotics and perked up almost instantly! He's eating again and a lot more active. Caught him doing a balancing act on the ledge of my stairs earlier.

But my god I am sooooo angry at his previous owners! I don't mind paying through the teeth to make Mitzy better. I'm not mad about that. I'm mad that they were bothered by it! That they had a cat and couldn't even be bothered to take him to the vet once a year for vaccinations! If they had they'd have known about his teeth. Or maybe they did know about his teeth and that's why they stopped taking him? *looks absolutely furious*

I'm so glad he's feeling better now. But Oh I could so get a lynch mob and go do some damage to his previous owners right now!

Link to CatChat