Author Topic: What are they looking at?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
Re: What are they looking at?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 17:58:31 PM »
Oooh I just love that story!  Gosh, I wish I had a ghost in my house too!  It's really an amazing story and your house sounds lovely.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
Harna what an amazing story.  In my old house I used to feel someone sit on the end of the bed.   Certainly wasn't the cats cause they used to sleep beside me not at the bottom.

It was a nice feeling - as if someone was watching over me.   

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »
Yes, I think it was most definitely soothing to her - at least she never complained about it, she just asked who it was . . .

The day we moved into the house, the old couple who lived here hadn't quite fully moved out. So they had a couple of boxes in the front room and to avoid box mix up, we started moving our stuff up to the empty upstairs. My father was walking up the stairs with a box and I was following him with a very heavy box when he just stopped, halfway up the stairs. He said that there was someone walking into one of the bedrooms - he had seen her feet through the spindles on the bannister. For some bizarre reason, he refused to go any further and insisted we go back down the stairs. I must point out that my father is a very straight person, not prone to making up jokes or messing around . . . Anyway, I went up and knocked on the door of the room. No answer. I went in and the room was completely empty. But ever since then (and that was 14 years ago!) when my father comes to visit he refuses to go into that room - even though it's my daughter's bedroom! He has to kiss her goodnight on the landing . . .  And the room, before my daughter came along, had ben converted into my photographic darkroom and sometimes the light used to turn on on it's own (not very convenient in a darkroom.)

But I have to stress that this house has a really happy feel about it - there's no way I would have stayed here so long if I was worried or troubled by any 'presence.' The old couple who used to live here were very upset to leave as they had been here for some time and had raised their children and been very content here. I always think that the memory of their happiness here has just lingered and that if there is any kind of spirit presence (which I'm still not convinced about!) here, then it is obviously not threatening . . . . .

But I', completely off-topic now - sorry!  :shy:

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 23:32:29 PM »
Oh Wow!  What a sweet story Harna!  How nice your daughter had an little old lady friend who came to stroke her hair in the night.  I wonder if it was soothing to your child?  I think it is amazing how children have been know to see the things we can't. 

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 23:25:55 PM »
Ooooh, that story made my hairs stand up on end!!  :wow:

Mine stare and jump at walls too and there's nothing there....then they start making funny meowing noises.  It sometime freaks me out if it's late at night. 

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 23:07:57 PM »
Our old cat, Leo, used to suddenly stand up and turn in circles in the middle of the room, tail quivering and meowing - in the same way he did when circling our legs when we were about to feed him. We'd only lived in the house for about 3 months and one day we bumped into the previous owners, an old couple who had had to move to a bungalow. We jokingly asked them if they had seen any ghosts in their old house and they went *really* pale before finally admitting that they used to be 'visited' by the spirit of the woman's mother . . . . . .and then fast forward 10 years and our (then) 3 year old daughter asked us who the old lady who came to stroke her hair in the night was . . . . . . .     :Crazy:

But usually, my three cats are transfixed by dust motes (you know, the bits of dust that dance in the air to remind you that it's time to have a whip round with the duster and polish . . . .) :shy:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »
Ours do this at the stairs it freaks me out lots.

Hubby likes to joke about ghosts and things which always freaks me out!

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
My lot do it aswell.   Summer mostly.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »
Same here, Charlie stares at the wall sometimes. 

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 18:52:04 PM »
the staring into space indoors is making me think we've got ghosts... :-: Anyone else noticed this?

I know exactly what you mean.  My cats don't do that but one of my chihuahua's does.  It really is weird and I often think that she must be seeing ghosts!  lol  I really do.  There is something there for sure that I can not see.  Spooky huh? lol

Offline lilynmitz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 18:16:42 PM »
Could be they've spotted a light reflection on the wall from your wrist watch?  This happens to us with Lily, and that's usually the cause.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 16:38:23 PM »
OK, so you're playing with the cats - maybe some ping pong ball antics or 'pull the fake mouse out of the shoe' game and they both suddenly stop what they're doing and stare at the wall.  You check and there's nothing there.  What are they looking at???  I can understand the staring out the window when there are plenty of interesting things happening, but the staring into space indoors is making me think we've got ghosts... :-: Anyone else noticed this?

G

The explanation is more prosaic  :)  They're not really looking at anything as such.  Cats get a sort of sensory overload from time to time and they have to stop to let their brains catch up with what's been buffered (in essence).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
What are they looking at?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 16:30:34 PM »
OK, so you're playing with the cats - maybe some ping pong ball antics or 'pull the fake mouse out of the shoe' game and they both suddenly stop what they're doing and stare at the wall.  You check and there's nothing there.  What are they looking at???  I can understand the staring out the window when there are plenty of interesting things happening, but the staring into space indoors is making me think we've got ghosts... :-: Anyone else noticed this?

G
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Link to CatChat