Author Topic: Mobile vet re grooming kylie's clumps  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Mobile vet re grooming kylie's clumps
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
Well it took the vet about 20 seconds with a small pair of scissors and cost nothing  :evillaugh: - she did in when Kylie had her eyes sorted out  :Luv2:

I sort of expected some redness underneath but there wasn't any  :Luv2:

One more thing, I was impressed with the new vet as she asked after Alice and asked if I had needed to give her any more Metacam recently  :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 15:47:48 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 16:51:08 PM »
Those little wahl blue trimmers are great for teenyl knots, but theres no way they'll cope with large mats. The other one I suggested will manage largish mats.

By the way Chapelhouse shop is operated as a separate commercial entity to the rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 16:00:30 PM »
I had those blue ones but they did nothing on Stars fur, not sure if persian fur  is softer than dlh fur but it just didn't cut her fur

the one we have is something like this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705716/Trail/searchtext>PET+TRIMMER.htm

It looks like you get the trimmer free with it.

Anyway, I will go to Wahl on Friday and see what they have - they are usually cheaper than going to the shop. They also sell random things like cat dishes  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 15:49:05 PM »
TBH Smoo's fur has never had those lumps in it fortunately. But I can imagine they'd struggle. I thought they might be ok doing it a bit at a time. I know chapelhouse do a range of them so it might be worth an email to them too.

There's a DLH at the other rescue I help at and we've been tackling these monster lumps with a pair of the blue clippers but she'll only take a bit of grooming at a time before getting bity so it's taking time anyway.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 14:59:02 PM »
I had those blue ones but they did nothing on Stars fur, not sure if persian fur  is softer than dlh fur but it just didn't cut her fur

the one we have is something like this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705716/Trail/searchtext>PET+TRIMMER.htm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 15:49:55 PM by Dawn F »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 14:43:44 PM »
Thanks - Gillian recommended these once before but I'm not sure that they will be powerful enough for solid clumps. Wahl UK is about 15 minutes from here and they have a shop so I will ask in there. Not sure if they will be able to advise but I can try. I'm tempted to get the expensive ones but they will end up sitting in a drawer. I have no intention of letting it happen again and there is 0% chance of me ever having a long haired cat  :scared:  :evillaugh:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 14:35:25 PM »
I have these and they're ace. You might need to follow Dawn's advice for bigger lumps though. You can find them a bit cheaper on the net or but them from PAH but this way I got to help a rescue and you get free replacement for life!

http://www.chapelhouse-persians.co.uk/battery%20powered%20clippers.htm
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 23:34:04 PM »
I wouldnt go down sedation route either.

I couldnt get Kockas tangles out cos didnt have enough hands but the vets were able to do it without sedation.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 22:57:59 PM »
I took Spangles to the vets for this last month, I held her up, veterinary nurse trimmed her and cut all the knots out. Total cost £9, I certainly would not have her sedated for this...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 19:49:03 PM »
The vets said she will end up with a bald patch - I am quite capable of doing that myself  :evillaugh:

:evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 18:46:35 PM »
Thanks Gillian,

I told her I need to speak to my partner. I don't think Dennis will want her sedated either. I just need some help to hold her still and I'm sure I could do it myself.

The vets said she will end up with a bald patch - I am quite capable of doing that myself  :evillaugh:

I may just swallow my pride and go next door.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 18:47:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 15:38:30 PM »
I wouldnt have her sedated Mark - as Dawn said, its just easier/quicker for vets to sedate them, in most cases though its unnecessary. I've had cats referred to me by vets and I've always been able to shave/cut knots off with no problem, even though these cats have previously been sedated for the procedure several times at the vets. The reason vets have referred cats to me is because either they, or the customer has become concerned about the amount of times the cat has to be sedated, just to get rid of knots.

For just a bit more than the price of that one off 'grooming' session Mark, you could invest in some professional clippers - these are the one I use http://simply2.co.uk/clippers/clipper%20pages/moserarco.html and they work on really big mats. Battery powered and with a spare battery plus charger.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »
yes its a proper pet one, with the clumps star had they were rock hard and so up close to her skin we couldn't cut them off from the root we had to shave the clump until it got thinner and thinner (like cutting a loaf of bread or something), it happened while we were in italy no idea what is was but they weren't normal knots

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »
A proper pet one?

I don't think clippers would work with hard clumps?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:11:47 AM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »
its a wahl clipper set we got it from argos about £30 almost like a mens haircut thing with lots of different combs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
What did you use to clip her?

I wish I could get OH to hold her down while I clipped.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
I suppose its easier for them if the cat is sedated, we shaved Star ourselves thought it would be less stress for her, if Gillian was closer i would have got her in  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Mobile vet re grooming kylie's clumps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »
The vet called me and said she would do it but under sedation. I told her I don't believe in sedation unless absolutely necessary. I told her the pills really affected Kylie when we moved. She said she doesn't use pills. She said she uses and injection to make them sleep, does the job, then another injection to wake them up - anyone familiar with this? - she said she checks their heart forst to make sure sedation is safe.

Call out £20
Jabs £18.50
Trimming - dependent on time but around £20

So approx £60 to get clumps out.

It's not the cost but I will need to speak to OH about sedation before going ahead.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:41:24 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat