Author Topic: Howling at the door.  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
Re: Howling at the door.
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2007, 14:15:18 PM »
If somebody took him to be done behind my back I would have been breathing fire at them.

I am sure no one on here would ever do that, as it would be illegal and cats lovers would not do anything illegal even if thought in a cat interest. ;D

I wouldnt have thought so Ela but I was merely responding to this comment:

Would it be wrong for me to get him neutered without her knowing?

:innocent:

ccmacey

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 13:22:36 PM »
My cats have had fleas before so I know it's not ill treatment, these things just happen. I dont know why he's coming for food? I'd never seen him before my kitten was in season. He's a friendly cat, although my cats hiss at him they dont fight, I think he's scared more than anything else. He just walks into my kitchen stright to the cats food but I dont like that cos my cats might catch something, you cant be too carefull. I think she may of left the color on so I could take it back. I dont know what it is but every where I live I seem to have cat's coming for food. He's at my door now so just going to see him, me and my big heart.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 13:07:08 PM »
Really sorry you feel you wasted your time and are stressed about it.  You did a great deal more than most people would and should pat yourself on the back for that. It is possible though that you might get the family talking about it amongst themselves and something may still come from your efforts.

It must be very upsetting if he is calling around for food.  I know you mentioned he may have fleas but tbh my lot have had fleas over the years especially when we have had hunters as they pick them up from birds. Even this time of year it is easy for the central heating to start the little blighters off again unless you spray the house as well as use frontline or whatever so a cat having fleas doesn't mean he is ill treated in my book. However you have now mentioned him coming around for food which is more of a problem. Do you suspect he is not being fed properly coz that's a different thing altogether.  They may have put the collar back on him so that no one else thinks he may be a stray which shows some concern about the little fella.

ccmacey

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
Thanks peeps I phoned last night and didn't really get anywhere, I said I hope you don't think I'm being rude by saying this but have you ever thought about getting him neutered? And she said what's that? So after a long explanation about the health factors, the fighting he will be getting into and the risks of him straying from home to find a mate, she Say's oh I don't know about that he's never had an operation before. And then said he's my dad's cat and he wont do that.

:-: :-:

What can I do? Its been a waste of time and I'm stressed now  :brick:

And he was back round mine last night for food with the color I'd put on him.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 11:29:18 AM »
How did you get on CC? The main prob with doing it behind her back is in case something happens to him while under - if she has rang you, you have the chance of getting through to her amicably.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 10:05:11 AM »
If somebody took him to be done behind my back I would have been breathing fire at them.

I am sure no one on here would ever do that, as it would be illegal and cats lovers would not do anything illegal even if thought in a cat interest. ;D
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 23:59:08 PM »
Hope it went well cc?

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 23:05:33 PM »
Hi ccmacey hope the phone call goes well.

I would just like to add, a few years back I had a male cat and he was about 5 years old when I got him neutered.  I didnt really know much about cats and that it was the best thing for him health wise and for fighting etc.  I would not have said I was any less a cat lover though!  If somebody took him to be done behind my back I would have been breathing fire at them.  However, a friendly bit of advice, if positioned correctly as Rosella has posted, would have been well received.  I cannot remember exactly, but I got him neutered when I moved home.  My next doore neighbour had a few cats, mostly Main Coone. I may well have took him for neutering following her advice but cannot be sure. :-:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 15:34:21 PM »
Very best of luck!!

ccmacey

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 15:12:42 PM »
Ok Im going to phone her. Wish me luck!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 14:50:08 PM »
Hi CC

I agree that she may not be a cat lover but stroking her ego will do no harm and may do some good. I think she is less likely to be offended by a neighbours open concern rather than feel someone living nearby has gone to CP behind her back and therefore more likely to listen to you than CP. You said her message on your phone had no unfriendly tone in it so why assume she will be unfriendly? 

If anyone took one of my cats to the vet for an operaition, ...... well mmmmmmmm lets just say I would not be happy.

Must go coz Freddie says he needs some TLC

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 14:33:29 PM »
e-mails sent to you

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 14:30:23 PM »
The mentioned cat was done in the end ;)

Ok so Im thinking what if she simply says no, this wont help the cat in any way. Would it be wrong for me to get him neutered without her knowing? As I havent yet mentioned it she wouldnt know who has done it. Im a right s****y arse! I just dont want any come back or nasty phone calls etc. Would the CP pay for the op if I said he is stray? Surely once it's been done I can let him out free to go back to his owner.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 14:16:03 PM »
Thats the point if she was a cat lover surely she would of had him done by now.

Some people just don't think and because a cat cannot get pregnant they don't worry. Also you would be surprised by how many times the man of them family won't allow the cat to be 'done'. Although I personally would not stand for that.
I think Rosella's idea is excellent, I would also point out they are more likely to get testicular cancer and FIV. Sometime I say that I know it is a lot to take in Just now would you like me to put it in writing so you can look at your leisure. Loads of folks then come back and ask for a voucher. I have copy info if you wish. I personally would not mention the fleas until you have the owners in the palm of your hands re the neuter. In fact if anyone takes a cat to our vets and it has fleas the vet always rings the owners.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 14:33:11 PM by Ela »

ccmacey

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 14:03:38 PM »
Thats the point if she was a cat lover surely she would of had him done by now. I also think he's got fleas cos Ive been bitten and I flea mine. Would she even notice if I just got him done myself? But I cant do that can I with him being someone else's cat.

I once took a neighbors cat to the vet because he was limping (the owner wasn't in for me to tell her) and when I got back she came over concerned and said thats good you took him cos she was scared of him, she didn't even dare pick him up. I suggested getting him neutered and she said what's that getting the jab's?  :-:

I will do anything I can to help a cat I just don't want to be told to  :censored:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 13:48:37 PM »
Ah I see. Doh!  What about ringing her and saying something like

I do hope you don't mind me ringing but I'm the person who put the collar with a note on your cat. Thanks for getting back to me and putting my mind at rest as, like you, I'm a cat lover too and have cats of my own. It's just that I haven't yet had one of my cats neutered so he is in season and I have had a few cats come howling at my door as a result including yours. I am planning to have my cat neutered shortly, happily for free on CP funds, and wondered if you were aware that they offer a free operation. Only trying to be helpful and hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

Whether or not you are having it done for free doesn't matter of course it just helps to bring CP into the conversation.  Just a thought. 

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 13:37:38 PM »
Ela sent you pm.

I just dont want this person to think Im rude and she could just hang up and that would get us nowhere. Ive had a look at the cats rear end and he hasnt been done.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 13:26:26 PM »
Sorry Ela don't get the email thing
If I had your e-mail address I could have given you advice that perhaps cannot be posted.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 13:14:22 PM »
My little demon Dingle, who passed away in 1997 aged 21, was a devil for howling like a banchee at my neighbours door. The reason she was so loud was because she was pretty deaf. The reason she howled to get in to the neighbours was that she smelt food i.e. chicken. Even though she had chicken at home virtually every day of her long life, she just loved it. She wasn't chipped altho I am better informed now and all the boys are chipped. I'm not sure what it is about this cat's looks or behaviour that makes you so certain he has not been neutered or why you are so cautious about contacting the owner.  Our Dingle had off days when she looked a bit rough especially as she got into her late teens and I would have taken no offence at someone obviously looking out for my cats interests.  I think I would ring her and explain that you weren't complaining as such but tell her what has been happening and have a chat. 

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »
Sorry Ela don't get the email thing? I was just thinking that if I passed her no. on to the CP she might think that rude and then not get it done anyway? And then I wouldn't be able to help with transport if she hasn't got her own. I think it would sound better coming from me? What do you suggest?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 12:33:05 PM »
Perhaps you will e-mail me

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 12:28:53 PM »
Right Ive had a message left on my answer phone this morn saying "you left a message on my cat, he's not stray". It wasn't nasty toned or anything. Now I'm just wondering how to phone her back and ask if she will think about getting him neutered without sounding rude or patronizing? Like I said the cat to me seems about 8+ so if she hasn't had him done by now I doubt she will? I would be willing to take the cat to and from the vets if she hasn't got transport. Should I just leave it now or what? Surely all she can say is yes or no. :scared:

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 09:56:57 AM »
Ok Ela I will do that. My OH said he was at the door this morn without the color, and I have had no phone call. I will be out most of the day as its my sons birthday so I will see if he comes back later and try the color again, if nothing I will get things started. Thanks.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »
You could ring all rescues within a 5 mile radius and also national lost /found registers and ask the lost and found officer if such a cat has been reported missing and put it on the found list.

And where would he stay while waiting on this list??

If it were us we would ask you to feed it and if it needed to see a vet again tell us immediately, obviously if a rescue had somewhere to put it while it was on the waiting list they would have room for it anyway. Waiting lists at this time of year usually are much shorter than other times of the year as traditionally Jan/Feb and also Sept/Oct are our best months for homing adult cats.

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 22:39:41 PM »
And where would he stay while waiting on this list??

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 22:37:12 PM »
So if he comes back with the color on do I assume he has no owner? Maybe he just hasn't been home? I put some food out for him and he didn't wolf it down. I would feel awful if I had taken someone's cat.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 22:18:13 PM »
You know what some people are like. So if I do take her to vets and she isn't chipped what do I do then?

Tell CP you have done everything you can to find the owner. They should then pay for the cat to be neutered, our branch  would also pay for it to be treated for worms and fleas and put it on our list of cats waiting to come in.

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 21:48:18 PM »
Yes very sure, he's got balls.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 21:46:02 PM »
CC  dont want to sound rude but are you certain that Harry is a he

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 21:36:45 PM »
There have been 2 male cats hanging around my door now, meowing their heads off. The older 1 from this morning is actually male. I have put a paper color on him saying if I'm yours please phone this number to let them know I'm not stray. The lady from the CP told me to give them her number to get him neutered, so if someone phones thats what I'll do, hopefull I wont get my head bit off and told to mind my own business. What I cant understand is why are males hanging around when its a male in season??

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
Thats the point Ela, its the first time i have seen this cat and I haven't been living in this area for long. She (if it is a she) obviously hasn't been spayed so therefor I doubt she would have a chip? She looks about 8+ so I doubt the owners would bother now. You know what some people are like. So if I do take her to vets and she isn't chipped what do I do then?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:14:25 PM »
Please read very carefully what I write and draw you own conclusions. If that were me and you had advised me that you had made every effort to try to find the cats owner and had also put a collar with a message on. I would immediately authorize you tale the cats to the vet for MOT testing, flea and worm treatment and neutering.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:58:17 AM »
Would a male be hanging around to fight? I just spoke to lady at CP and she said find out who's cat it is then they will get her done, how can I do that? This cat also looks old poor thing to be going around not spayed for all those years. Its got no color on, should I bring her in and take to vets to be scanned?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:53:58 AM »
Sounds like the other cat is female  .... I'm sure as soon as you get Harry done everything will calm down.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

ccmacey

Howling at the door.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »
Without a sign, my little Harry is becoming a man! Woke up last night to lots of deep meowing and calling. The noise was coming from Harry, and I could hear another cat making noises too, I thought it was 1 of my others. Got up this morn to the same noises and realized another cat is at my door! Howling its head off. The problem is I don't know what sex this cat is, why would a male be hanging around? Or could it be female? It looks old and has gray hairs. Harry is booked in for next week but in the mean time I wont be able to let my others out cos they will fight wont they? My other cats are up in arms and acting all strange because of the way Harry is going on and with the other cat at the door trying to poke its head through the letter box. How can I get rid of this cat? Its hanging around the back garden too. Could it be female? I don't see why a male would hang around with Harry leaving male scents, unless it wants to fight! ARGH what do I do?

Link to CatChat