Author Topic: 1st step to becoming a PAT cat - harness picture!  (Read 2965 times)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Re: 1st step to becoming a PAT cat - harness picture!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »
Harna, It's great that it fits and that he is such a pro wearing. My boys hated them - it really was never going to happen.

He looks very smart in it. Glad it could be of use. I've got a black one if you want to have a change of colours or need another for one of your other puddies. It's just sitting amongst a bunch of ignored toys!

Hope all goes well at the therapy test.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 17:24:42 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2:  stunning pics Harna ... mind you, you are working with some pretty gorgeous models  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 23:11:55 PM »
PS: good on Sir Tobster for being such a top fundraising cat - I am sure that his personal appearances are appreciated by many. He looks very content with his role and the basket seems like a good idea - although I think it would have to be more of a hamper for a big cat like Wilf!  :Luv2:

(just looked back at the pic of Wilf with his harness on - heavens above, you're right - he's got blimmin *mad* whiskers in that picture, hasn't he!  :rofl: )

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 23:00:23 PM »
What a sweetheart the Tobster is! And beautifully modelling, too!

It's actually quite funny because until this week when I've been trying Wilf with the harness, I've never seen anyone out with a cat on a lead before - and then yesterday, at the end of the road, I saw a woman walking a cat like a dog with about 4 'free range' cats ambling along behind her! I did a double take!

And odd you should mention Wilf's whiskers because I have *just* this minute downloaded this recent pic!

Wilf

"Noosh
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 23:04:47 PM by Harna »

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 22:54:36 PM »
Harna, I just luuuuuuuuuuurve Wilf's whiskers! :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

The Tobster is a pretty dab hand at using a harness too.

He doesn't do PAT work, but he does put in appearances at Ely CP fundraising events and the Wood Green pet service, where he's more than happy to let peeps stroke him.

Also, he will walk on his lead and harness - once we walked down the High Street in Ely and well, it was aMEWsing to see peeps' reactions as a cat going for walkies... :evillaugh:

Anyways, here is Sir modelling his harness and wicker basket. :Luv2:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 22:43:02 PM »
Okay - I managed a quick snap - you can just about make out the harness through all the floof!  :Luv:

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: More advice on cat harnesses, please!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 21:41:11 PM »
Thanks Harna.

My raggies are pretty special, but don't let them know I said that.

:shify:
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 20:21:05 PM »
(aw, thanks Philip!  :Luv: Yours are pretty gorgeous too!  :Luv2: )

Quick update:

I want to say a *huge*
  :T: :H: :A: :N: :K:   :Y: :O: :U:
to the lovely Tiga who kindly gave me a harness to try Wilf with  . . . . thank you Tiga - it's a perfect fit!

So, I let Wilf sniff it first and then gave him a treat. Then, after a lot of fussing and stroking and a couple more treats, I gently and carefully put it on him. No problems. I'd read an article that said that some cats forget they can stand/walk when wearing a harness and just crouch on the ground - but Wilf appears to be very motivated my food (hmm - a trait that I have too . . .  :shy: ) and had absolutely no problem with it. So I just let him wander around the house - he behaved like he didn't have it on! So, feeling brave, I attached the lead. Oh, great game, thinks Wilf and immediately starts batting the lead around, pouncing and jumping on it. After a while, I picked the lead up, stood a couple of paces away from him and shook the treats. He trotted over. I stepped back - he followed - again - he followed. Ta-daaaa!!!!  :wow:

And then we walked around to my next-door-but-one neighbour, who Wilf often visits by popping through her back door. He was really happy to go through the front door to see her this time and spent 20 minutes lying on the rug, on his back, purring.

So, I think he's okay with the harness! (maybe his previous owner had one for him . . . .,??)

Anyway - step one of the readiness for PAT assessment complete!

Thanks again, Tiga, for the harness - I have tried to take a photo of Wilf wearing it but to be honest, it's lost under all his fluff!!

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 20:06:18 PM »
Hana...

Your cats are simply stunning.
 :Luv:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 21:24:16 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 19:44:37 PM »
Ah yes - my pursuit of an alternative lifestyle  . . . that was a discounted link as we are looking for woodland . . . . .  :shy:

Once I saw all the little thumbnails, I was brave enough to click on them to take a look at some larger pictures. I was also nosey enough to have a look at some of the member photographs (does that sound rude, the way I've typed that?!  :evillaugh: ) As I said, there is some great artwork there . . .

Not sure about breaking Purrs, just always too busy posting to look elsewhere!  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 19:37:57 PM »
I would just love to live there.........................................sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

However I love your cats which have just appeared  :rofl: :rofl:

You click on the images to make em bigger, did you discover LOL.

I dont know why but peeps never seem to click on these buttons and so much is there...........why arent peeps curious  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

maybe they think it may break Purrs  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 19:36:12 PM »
right, that's it - I'm definitely off for a drink now - I have no idea what;s happening as that pic is supposed to be UNstretched and the right way round. There be gremlins at work so I shall retire for the evening in case the 'puter explodes . . . . .    :-:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 19:34:26 PM »
oh?  :Crazy:

don\t know what or where THAT link came from!

I wanted to put THIS in . . . .

Anoosh & Wilf

where on earth . . . what am I doing . . . . is it too early for a glass of wine and a sit down  . . . .  :Crazy:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 19:31:22 PM »
wow!!   ;D

I had never clicked on any of those buttons!!!

What a talented bunch of individuals - Gill - I am *really* impressed with your work!

Hmm  - maybe I should look into posting up some pictures of my eclectic work!

http://www.kerthua.co.uk
'Noosh & Wilf

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 19:22:05 PM »
Click on the little button called gallery above the posts and then on our own work or something........I think Timothy is a few in on the top line  ;D ;D

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 19:16:00 PM »
thank you - he's an incredibly easy cat to photograph!   :)

but. . . . um . . . what do you mean by 'artist fingers'? Sorry - not been around long enough to work out all the regular poster's peculiar peccadilloes!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 19:10:45 PM »
What a great picture of Wilf and I feel my artist fingers twitching  :rofl:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 16:58:13 PM »
wow - thanks for all of the responses!

It's great to see pictures too - Ellie looks very content; my Wilf is a very placid and easy-going cat so I anticipate that he will be fine with it too.

Tiga - thanks for the offer; will PM you!

Sheryl - walking *jackets*??! Suddenly the world has expanded for me!!!

Thanks for all your help!

Wilf

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 15:26:22 PM »
I use walking jackets on the Bengals and have no problems - a Bengal Breeder friend of mine makes them and she will make them to measure if your cat is larger.

I have got a couple of photos of Raffiki in his and will post them at the weekend.  The Bengals absolutely hate a normal harness but are good as gold in their jackets  :rofl:

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 15:18:00 PM »
I take one of my ragdolls Elle out for walks on a leash.

I just make sure it fits her securely.

I have 4 ragdolls and she is the only one with the right temperment for it.

So I would suggest ensuring it fits securely plus only using it on a cat with the right temperament.

Also the way cats are there is a risk of the harness getting caught up under their legs so its useful to hold the lead so the connection to the harness stays above the cat. As you can see in the pics, this can be difficult.  :rofl: I was sitting down when these pics were taken.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 15:19:25 PM by Philip »
[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 15:09:16 PM »
I've got a harness you could try. Riley is almost 6 kgs and it fits him with room to spare. Neither of mine like the harnesses so you are welcome to try it. I have no clue what type of harness it is - they go under the chest and around the neck. Whereabouts are you?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 14:59:21 PM »
I think Sheryl uses harnesses on her bengals as well

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 14:57:48 PM »
6.5 kilo is very big and my harness would not fit on Misa, even if he had let me try better...he is also about that size and very fluffy.

I can only suggest you ask Team Swathelheim.........cant spell that grrrrrrrr cos Lottie has Norwegiian Forsets who are much bigger and am sure she took Bilbo out in a harness.

I am not sure whether LInda uses harnesses for her bengals cos they also are quite big. I think she is Linda Bengals .....will check names and suggest you pm them for advise.

Team Svartalfheims and Linda (Bengalbabe)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 15:01:20 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
1st step to becoming a PAT cat - harness picture!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »
I've been reading some other threads regarding cat harnesses but there are a couple which, frustratingly, don't really come to any conclusion!

Following on from my previous post, Wilf is going to be assessed as a Pet As Therapy cat. This means that (if he is accepted) he needs to wear a harness when visiting people. He also needs to have his assessment wearing the harness - and so before I set this up, I need to get him used to wearing one. . . .

Do you know, I had no idea there were so many different variations of harness out there! 5 point, 8 point,  jacket . . . .!! Which one would you recommend?

Wilf is 6.5kg and very fluffy. I won't necessarily be walking him on a lead but obviously will need him to be safely in a secure harness . There are some on zooplus for about £4, but I'm just not sure. . . .

Does anyone have any valuable advice? And does anyone have a harness that they would be prepared to pass on for a try-out  - of course I would pay / donate to charity and pay postage, etc. . . . .

?????

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 22:41:57 PM by Harna »

Link to CatChat