Author Topic: Midnight yowling  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Midnight yowling
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
Sorry to be blunt, Celestrine, but she's stopped yowling because her season has finished. Thanks to you, this will be her last season so you, and her, won't have to go through that again.  :)

Good luck with her.  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline celestrine

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 22:02:39 PM »
Just an update:

She's stopped yowling! Hurrah! Perhaps it was just the shock of moving away from her home and away from her two grown up kittens. She still meows in the morning when she's hungry but it's nowhere near the same awful crying yowling sound.

Tomorrow she is going to the vets to be neutered, hurrah!

She still bites herself in various places and (bizarrely) sometimes on her feet! However, I think the fleas she had when I got her have cleared up and she seems to be a much more happy kitty. She even plays with things now! I will ask the vet about the biting. Will she get a paper collar to stop her biting the stitches? I can't remember from my last cat as I think I was only about 7 when we got her!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 16:09:31 PM »
Oh my l... any direct rehoming cats that i advertise on our catchat page have to be neutered before hand (unless to young and then i try and make sure the cat comes into our care).... Indeed i am actually quite strict with people that cats have to be neutered and at least vac.. I generally dont direct rehome kittens.. with at least them being seen by our vets...

Any rescue that doesnt at least make sure that female cats of the right age are spayed isnt really doing their job.. In four years one we have had  1 female cat the vets thought was spayed and she wasnt but we paid for her to be done as soon as she came into season...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 20:19:32 PM »
I am really surprised this CP branch didn't get this puss neutered. My branch's policy is that we won't advertise a cat for rehoming until this has been done. Neutering should always be the cornerstone of any welfare work.  :sneaky:

Ringworm is more prevelent is some parts of the country than others. It's extremely rare were we are and I don't think we have ever had a case. Classic ringworm territory is areas with a lot of marches and bogs.

You say this bald patch in on her neck? Could it be from a collar she used to wear?  :shy:

Offline lilynmitz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 15:37:24 PM »
Hi

How long have you had her?  My latest rescue cats made quite a fuss when I shut them in the kitchen diner at night for the first few weeks, but mostly settle down now until I get up (or 9.00, whichever comes sooner). 

She might also be able to see other cats outside and is worried about them - my Lily goes bonkers when she sees through the window other cats in the garden, although she's a bit more chilled about it now.  Covering the window might help, but I think it's nice for them to be able to bird/mouse watch at night.

She might be a bit bored - try cat nip mice, balls with bells etc, as they are better at entertaining themselves with those than ones that need us to drag/throw/swing them about. 

Re letting her into the bedroom at night, I can completely guarantee she won't stay on the floor and not on your bed!  HOwever, if you do decide to let her in (as I used to with all my previous cats - mostly cos they bullied me into it!) you will soon get used to having her on the bed and not notice when she moves about, and after a while you won't be able to sleep until she IS there.  However, it doesn't work for all people and with all cats so if she seems to be settling ok with the current arrangement, best leave sleeping cats lie!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:07:31 AM »
some cats have allergy to fleas, just one flea will set them off I'm sure the vet will be able to put your mind at rest, you can frontline cheaper online - we have links via rescues and the rescue gets a bit of commission - somebody help with the link!!!!

Offline celestrine

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 15:45:42 PM »
She already is chipped, I got that done straight away when I had her first vaccination. I'm also happy to say that for the last two nights she has let me get some sleep! Nevertheless I'm still going to ring the vets first thing tomorrow and book her in.

This is such a good forum, it makes you feel a lot better when you are worried about your cat!

Oh, and on that subject, while she was rolling around today I noticed a small patch of missing fur on her throat, the skin looked irritated. I will ask the vet to check that out too, I hope it is not ringworm, but she won't let me look under her chin to check!! Blimey. Perhaps this is why she grooms such a lot and bites herself? The vet said it was probably fleas (which she did have and I have treated) and she has stopped scratching as much, but she still does scratch fairly regularly :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 22:09:22 PM »
Shes man hunting out the window, would be sensible to get her chipped at the same time as her spay too  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 14:19:44 PM »
I'm fairly sure that will help, cats are most active at dusk and dawn and if she thinks all the boys are outside the window playing she is going to make a fuss!!  once the hormones are sorted out I'm sure she will be more than happy to let you sleep!

Offline celestrine

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 14:15:04 PM »
Ah, when I said she was from a rescue that wasn't 100% accurate. The owners advertised her for a new home via cats protection but they looked after her until she was rehomed, so she never actually stayed with the cats protection at all, I picked her up from the previous owners house. Don't worry though, I knew she wasn't neutered (or vaccinated) and I'm sorting it out - she's had her first shot already and the vet said it would be OK to neuter her either in between the two shots or afterwards. I think i'm going to go for the in between option if it means I can get some sleep!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
it is probably because she isn't spayed - what rescue did you get her from, normally they would do that for you?

Offline celestrine

• Kitten
Midnight yowling
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »
Hello

Happy to say that I've now adopted a lovely 3 year old female from a rescue! While she is brilliant in most respects, there is one thing that is really starting to cheese me off - she constantly yowls in the middle of the night! At night I shut my bedroom door and leave her access to the kitchen at one end of the corridor and the laundry room where the litter box is. I often find that she jumps up on the sides on the kitchen in order to look through the blinds and outside, and makes an awful racket between about 1am and 4am. I'm starting to get really tired!!

Could this be because she is not yet neutered? If so, this problem will be sorted out in a couple of weeks.
Could it be because she wants to come into my bedroom? I don't really want her to sleep in my bed as I think it would freak me out in the night. I wouldn't object to her sleeping on the floor in there but there is no guarantee she would stay there!
I don't think it's a medical problem as she is young, and went to the vets last week.
Anything else I could try?? Help!
Edit: Just thought - is it because my cat is bored and doesn't play enough? I have tried balls on strings, balls of paper, paper bags, cardboard box obstacle courses, ribbons, all sorts, and she just looks at me as if to say "i'm too old for that"! :(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:30:48 AM by celestrine »

Link to CatChat