Author Topic: Silly question, but how do you know if a cat wants to go out?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Silly question, but how do you know if a cat wants to go out?
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
Jess must be different then he only meows when he wants dinner not anything else  :-:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 01:04:17 AM »
Silly question, but how do you know if a cat wants to go out?

DUH!

Your cat will come up to you and say 'meow meow, mew mew-mew meyyyyow'.
Some people just don't know anything, do they?  :rofl:

And not forgetting if you take no noice or are talking they then say

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and bite your  :censored:  ankle   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

xxxxxxxxx

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 22:40:53 PM »
Well ian doesn't that mean i want feeding, please stroke me and fill up my water fountain as well LOL ..

I keep all my 4 in they all stare out of the cat flap and windows ..but show no desire to go out ..my previous little girl Snarf would howl and scratch at the door unless i let her out ..and that was how i knew she wanted out !
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Ian@cpstoke

• Kitten
  • Human cat slave
    • MUZIQUE - The Disco Roadshow
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 20:52:28 PM »

DUH!

Your cat will come up to you and say 'meow meow, mew mew-mew meyyyyow'.
Some people just don't know anything, do they?  :rofl:
Ian.
Cats Protection - Stoke & Newcastle Branch.

www.cpstoke.co.uk

Offline tigress

• Adult Cat
  • Tigger
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 22:37:13 PM »
Hi Jess's mum

I don't know if this may help but I would wait until it's a bit warmer leave the door open on a slight jar, he should gradually get used to it and may be just sit there and look out.  If then after a while he feels safe he may venture out.  I have one that will sit by the front door when it is open but won't go out, how ever he will go out the back.

all the best

Lynn
xxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 16:03:37 PM »
When we come in he has never made a bolt for the door and when we open the door(s) he runs away from them not towards them.

I don't think it sounds as if Jess is anxious to go out - I'm sure he's fascinated by all the noises and movements outside though.  Blip isn't allowed out the front and (touch wood) makes no effort to go out through the front door, but she often sits and looks out that way.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 14:44:51 PM »
(When I tried to rehome a kitten from my local cats protection they turned me down saying they don't like cats/kittens being kept indoors)

That is silly in my opinion, most branches have cats at times that it is necessary for them to be indoor only.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Duncan and Findlay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 14:36:37 PM »
We've had Duncan out with a harness before, but it never really seem to work well. We're in a quie-ish - but built-up area, and we're not happy about them being out at all. Maybe if we moved to a quieter, more open-spaced area - then we'd review that, but definately not where we are right now.

In our old place, Leo would be in and out like a yo-yo. There wasn't a catflap for him to use, but instead Deborah tied a string of bells around the inside doorhandle. Leo worked out pretty swiftly that if he jangled the bells, we'd come and let him out. Which we did. Often!

No system for him to come back in, as it was a shared vestibule - so we put a catflap on the shed and made a comfy hammock in there for him. So, when he can't get into the house, he'd go there. At teatime and at night, I'd just call for him and in the darkness you'd hear the catflap flapping and Leo meaowing all the way to the door, exciting to get back in! Brilliant stuff!

Still miss that guy.
You don't choose a cat, the cat chooses you.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 14:07:41 PM »
Thank you Ela, Jess is going to stay an indoor puddy

(When I tried to rehome a kitten from my local cats protection they turned me down saying they don't like cats/kittens being kept indoors)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 13:17:51 PM »
Does this mean he wants to go out or not?

Pass, before you do make a decision perhaps you will read my indoor/outdoor debate on my site www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk. You can then decide what you think is in your little ones interest based on the advice and your knowledge of the local area.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »
Jess has always been an indoor kitty had never been out with his previous owner and we have no plans to let him out but I was just wondering as he seems to sit for hours on the door mat by the front door I think this is because its warm (we have laminate flooring) and he sits on the back door step and looks out at the garden and at night looks at his reflection, but my hubby thinks he wants to go out. When we come in he has never made a bolt for the door and when we open the door(s) he runs away from them not towards them.

Does this mean he wants to go out or not?

Link to CatChat