Author Topic: kitten needs 6 month vet check and tests??  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: kitten needs 6 month vet check and tests??
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 22:33:46 PM »
Our boys have been offered blood tests at time of neutering , like Helens. However Kitten checks are free to a year old for new patients. Sounds like your vet is trying to make extra cash ot me! :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 22:12:28 PM »
When the boys were neutered at almost 6 months there was the option of blood tests but I think that was just a standard extra offered prior to any operation. It was thought Riley might have a heart condition as he panted after heavy play so I had the blood test done for him (turned out there was nothing wrong with him  ;D).  I asked whether  his brother Lu should have the bloodtest too but they said there was no need in a young healthy cat.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 21:56:58 PM »
It might well be a computer generated mail shot. I'd call the practice manager and ask them if they do send out mass mailings like this. A young kitten should need a full blood panel unless you suspect he's unwell.  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 21:52:54 PM »
Sounds more like a letter that should be sent to a senior cat owner. He would have had a check over when neutered, i really dont see the point of running bloods on a healthy kitten  :shify:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 20:46:24 PM »
NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE IT !!!

I personally wouldnt bother, Sounds like vet is trying to make money !!
Change vets xx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »
Personally, I think this is your vets way of making more money. My preference is to take a cat or kitten to the vet when ill. Make sure you do regular deworming and defleaing and it is recommended by most that you have yearly boosters. Otherwise, unless it's part of your insurance scheme, just take at the first signs of illness.

Thought: change vet; you may have one who is more interested in making money than caring for your kitten/cat.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
kitten needs 6 month vet check and tests??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »
Hi I have a 8 month old vaccinated, neutred male kitten, a cross breed.  Who seems to be very fit and healthy to me.

My vet has written to me recormending a 6 monthy check up, also recormended is a diabetes urine test for £10, blood tests for general health at £39, and of course they will charge me a consultation fee which is £28.
Do I need all this for a young cat, it all costs so much. 

Link to CatChat