Author Topic: Suggestions to stimulate appetite?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Suggestions to stimulate appetite?
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »
Glad he is managing to eat something.  Hope he continues to improve

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 22:06:30 PM »
Cheers for the thought HK. I so appreciate any suggestions but... I don't cook and have no liquidiser or syringe. I am hoping we are a bit away from that yet.

Just opened a pouch of Tesco Luxury Chicken with Beef and made him get out of his pit  ;) and walk 8 feet to his feeding station where he ate a couple of spoonfuls which was a bit of a result as he had turned his nose up at grated cheese, primula, fresh chicken, AD and bacon tonight.  So I'll try him with a bit more of that just before bedtime and with luck that'll see him thru till early morning. I hardly dare say it but his appetite has improved a little if I find the right food to tempt him.  Am hoping vet can do something to help a bit more on Friday so he's OK by end of the month or OH and his dad will be off to Bruges for 4 nights without me.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 18:58:38 PM »
Maybe this sounds a bit eccentric, but why not make him some cat-friendly meat soup, liquidise it, then syringe-feed him? Just a thought. It would work for a cat who is easy to nurse and doesn't get stressed with this.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 07:59:42 AM »
Fingers crossed it is the start of something.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 22:34:30 PM »
I hope that this is the start of his appetite coming back  :hug:

I agree something is better than nothing and my vet advised that I let Kocka eat what ever she wanted........wanted!!!!! lamb freshly roasted etc...........a bit above my pocket sadly.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 21:47:27 PM »
.....I just hateeeeeeeeeeeeeee the smell of Ad after feeding it off a finger for years LOL, .....

Well I know exactly what you mean Gill and no mistake  :sick:  A week is plenty never mind years....

Got very worried about our boy today but he just came downstairs a little while ago and (I know I shouldn't have but....) I gave him a bit of fatty streaky bacon that was wrapped around my chicken; he loved it and ending up eating a few bits, OH followed him back upstairs and gave him more of the disgusting stuff. I then brought up shredded chicken pieces that the bacon had been wrapped around and he ate some more off the plate. He had also had some of Yorkshire ham from OH's sarnie for lunch (relatively quite a bit by all accounts) but the salt content of all this usually would make him  :sick: but not so far...

I don't give a hoot atm that it is not good nutrition just so very pleased to get something in him. Thankfully the others arerather partial to AD  :sick: so not gone to waste yet. Fingers firmly crossed that this isn't a flash in the pan. He started his beta blockers today.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 19:16:47 PM »
Has to be said, Toby was an exceptional cat. My cousin said yesterday he never demanded attention, but you always wanted to give it him. It's true, he never pushed people which made him all the more endearing.

I hope Tom's appetite is a little better today.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 17:28:11 PM »
Kocka would not touch liquivite and I just hateeeeeeeeeeeeeee the smell of Ad after feeding it off a finger for years LOL, It also stains and she was a grey   blue cat and when she cleaned her face with her paws after eating it, they got stained brownish.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »
Thanks very much for info everyone. Tom shows interest in his food but eats only very very little when offered.  Mainly AD watered down slightly direct off fingers (getting fed up of the smell) but anything else we can get down him.  Will also look into liquivite.

Those links look very interesting Helen. Will look in more detal tonight. Thank you.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
I would actually go for a/d rather than liquivite, not had any success with liquivite.

I think it depends on the individual cat really. Tobes drank liquivite when he was off his food, which is why I mentioned it. You could always get a tin of each and see how Tom reacts to them. Hope things are improving, Rosella. :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »
I think Lynn mentioned low dose valium type drugs to stimulate appetite as well?

I think the main thing is to eliminate toxins so the cat has a natural appetite. In Clapton's case, the gurgling etc stopped on the Fortekor stabilised him and helped him clear toxins. He eats more than the others put together thesedays - he loves his grub  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »
Very tricky one, if the steroids dont seem to have improved his appetite. SEB would have been another one of my suggestions, and the third would be a tablet appetite stimulant, Rosie was given that when her globulin was sky high, I forget the name of the tablet though, and not sure whether I kept the box - it did work for a couple of days though, but she was a butter to medicate. i would actually go for a/d rather than liquivite, not had any success with liquivite. I would give the vet a quick ring and ask when they would expect to see the steroids kicking in and helping his appetite.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 21:39:32 PM »
How's Tom doing today Rosella? Have you tried giving him liquivite? It's not ideal in the long term but it might help at the moment. :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 21:28:06 PM »
Poor little Tom  :(  Really hope the meds start to perk him up soon  :hug:  Have you seen this? http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

I don't know if it would be suitable as Tom's nausea seems to be anaemia related but have you thought abut Slippery Elm Bark... http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB1 

There is a section on anaemia on the CRF site, might be of use too - http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms.htm#RBC_production

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 20:42:47 PM »
Just to clarify;

I've no intention of writing Tom off. Nor has my vet. It's just that, due to his age (19 at Christmas), I don't plan on any invasive investigations of underlying causes.

Do you have any experience Desley of Anaemia in elderly puds and what I might try?

There are 3 types it seems and, for various reasons, vet thinks it likely we can rule out 2 of them leaving the last one meaning Tom's bone marrow isn't producing sufficient red blood cells for whatever reason (none being good) and insufficient oxygen circulating his body. To confirm this would involve a biopsy of Tom's bone marrow which I am not prepared to put him thru. 

Could be that rapid heart rate due to heart trying to compensate.  The steroid injection Tom had on Thursday is used in the treatment of Anaemia as well as to try and stop muscle wastage and improve appetite. Vet showed me the drugs book listing the drug, its uses and potential side effects. I start beta blockers tomorrow (very low dose due to poss side effects) to try and decrease heart rate as it is too fast; could lead to high blood pressure and damage to heart. 

The vet is a listening vet thankfully and I am of course open to raise any suggestions with her. Tom goes back to see her on Friday for a progress report or before of course if I can't get him to eat a little more than he is. Again seemed to notice a slight improvement earlier today but doesn't last long  :(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 20:44:48 PM by Rosella moggy »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »
I hope he starts eating again soon, and I would be dubious about not trying to do anything about the anemia, as that will make him feel constantly yucky.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 23:56:31 PM »
Thanks Gill

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 23:55:01 PM »
i hope the injection kicks in soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 23:52:31 PM »
Thanks for tip HK but am currently happy with my vet at Lordswood.

Sorry if my post was unclear. I've no intention of writing Tom off. Nor has my vet. It's just that, due to his age (19 at Christmas), I don't plan on any invasive investigations of underlying causes. In particular, investigations into cause of anaemia can involve doing a biopsy of bone marrow which is a non starter.  Also whilst vet has said she could refer him to a cardiologist, doesn't seem much point if I won't allow anything invasive as vet is putting him on beta blockers to slow heart rate in any event.  I just wish the steroid injection would kick in and get him eating a little more.  Haven't noticed much improvement yet.  I thought I did yesterday but not good again today.

We are managing to get a tiny bit of AD down him and a few RC dental kibbles (go figure) a few times a day. I know he's partial to Yorkshire ham so will be getting some tomorrow but don't like him eating too much ham due to salt content.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:16:08 AM »
I know that you live not far from me, which vet do you see? PM me if you want. I really recommend seeing Martin Bate at the Oaks. Don't see one of the other vets there. How old is Tom? It seems a shame to write him off because of his age.

When Polly had vestibular disease I gave her sliced turkey from the local butcher's. I had to hand feed her. Hated going into the butcher's, I'm veggie, but discovered they sell cream cakes!

:hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »
Many thanks for that. Puts my mind at rest (ish!). I'll give it till Monday then when we start beta blockers to reduce his heart rate.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »
It was a while ago but from what I remember, it wasn't a sudden thing. His appetite started improving the next day and gradually got better over a few days.

I think I gave him chicken & other things he likes to get him going. I tried all the fancy little cans but he isn't interested. Whiskas chicken in gravy works wonders - the one in cans that smells like an ashtray with big chunks in  :sick:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 09:43:19 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »
Laurobolin is name of steroid. How long did it take to kick in Mark with Clapton

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:57:10 AM »
The same with Clapton - the steroid injection worked miracles and he hasn't stopped eating since  :)

Otherwise, I have heard sardines in tomato sauce is supposed to be a good one to tempt fussy eaters.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:45:29 AM »
if its the same injection Leigh's Suzie had hopefully he'll start eating for England!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Suggestions to stimulate appetite?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »
Suggestions very welcome as Tom is off his food. Think related to anaemia making him feel sick.

He was given a steroid injection yesterday which hopefully will start to kick in soon and get him eating.  Not doing investigations as to underlying cause due to Tom's age.

Link to CatChat