Author Topic: Long journey  (Read 1514 times)

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Re: Long journey
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 21:59:28 PM »
Update
I built the cage as discussed - 2x2 grids square an 1 and a half tall, just to fit nicely in the car.  I put some Rescue Remedy in the water the day before, but who knows how much she drank!  And I think I might have managed to get half a drop on each ear...
She was so well behaved during the journey - she whinged and miaowed a lot which I liked because at least then I knew she was OK, and also slept a lot.
Very sad leaving Taz behind at my mum's this morning  :( but I know she'll have a much better life there eventually and that mum will give her the best possible care and attention.  Now I'm home again I can see that Silvie is already happier to have her house back to herself.  By the time I left mum's Taz was hiding under my duvet during the day but coming out at tea time to eat, chat, play and explore all evening - it was great to watch, she's such a fun cat!   :)

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 21:16:49 PM »
Absolutely, I have every intention of doing so - I bought more of them as well!  I must have similar paranoias...  ;)
Much better to be over-fortified than take the risk that she could get out and under my feet

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 21:03:30 PM »
I would re-enforce it with some cable ties just in case, have paranoias over things like that  :shify: :shify:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 22:19:39 PM »
I have a plan!  ;D
I have asked around a few friends and am not confident of finding a crate/cage to borrow.
However, to fill the hole that Taz will leave, I would like to get some guinea pigs.  I have been building a cage for them and the stuff you make them with (sort of modular wire mesh shelving) will also be perfect to make a large cat cage out of - and then when I'm done transporting Taz in it, I can use it for the guinea pigs!
Sorted - will go and buy it tomorrow - and a smaller litter tray to put in it.  Will feel much happier without the prospect of having to let her out or leave her in the normal carrier for all that time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 19:48:53 PM »
Definately a dog crate, would never reccomend letting a cat loose in a car  :scared: :scared:

Good luck  ;D

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 18:40:02 PM »
Thanks guys, really helpful.
I will begin my search now for a dog cage or something similar which I can borrow.  :)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 17:13:20 PM »
I definitely wouldn't get her sedated - cats can have strange reactions to sedatives, sometimes they get more active instead of less.  As she travels well on short journeys she'll probably be OK on a long one provided you plan in advance. I have never used the Bach remedies but when we brought Korky out to France last year I used Feliway spray in his cage an hour before setting off.  Mind you, I don't know whether it did any good because on the way home I forgot it and he didn't seem to behave any different.    The dog cage is a good idea - thats what we use.  If you haven't got one perhaps you could borrow one.  We put a corner litter tray in it although in truth Korky will only use it when we're stopped (obviously doesnt feel comfortable 'balancing' on the move) so we also put vetbed on the bottom of the cage.  If he does wee it goes through and the surface of the vet bed stays dry and cosy. The golden rules for travel are plenty of water, minimum food and frequent stops.  That said, every cat is different.  We struggle to get Korky to drink at the best of times but he will always eat, so although we provide water (which he doesn't touch) we also give him his normal amount (or even a bit more) of wet food with a bit of extra water added to keep him well hydrated.  He also seems to relax more when we're on the move than when we're stopped so we only stop as often as we would for ourselves.  You know you're cat best.  Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »
if possible, use a larger cage, like a dog cage, so she can have a litter tray - but do limit her food, you dont want her being sick as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:49:04 AM »
I swear by Bach's Rescue Remedy, I would put a few drops in their water the day before to help.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 00:20:32 AM »
Haven't gone on a long journey (thankfully, going to the vets is bad enough!) but I have had success with Rescue remedy after one of my cats was severely freaked out.  I rubbed two small drops into each ear, I'd guess an hour before the journey would be fine.

Quite a few people on here have done long journeys with their cats (a few have driven to France) so hopefully someone will be along with tips on travelling.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Long journey
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 23:53:34 PM »
I am taking Taz to her new home at my mum's next week.  It will be a 5-6 hour drive and I am slightly worried how she'll deal with it.
I don't want to get her sedated as she has coped with shorter journeys (20 mins or so) well with not too much complaint.
I have Feliway spray and will use that in the carrier.  I have also heard that Bach Rescue Remedy can be helpful.  Has anyone else tried this?
If so, can anyone tell me how much to use, when (ie how long before the journey), and how (ie in food/water)?
Also, how do you guys deal with the whole litter tray thing in such situations?!  Taz is an extremely lively wee thing and I anticipate trouble in catching her again, even if I let her out of the carrier inside the sealed car!  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat