Author Topic: Cat Carrier  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Cat Carrier
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »
It varies from cat to cat really, I took Phoebe to have her stitches out in a different carrier to being spayed, and she much prefers the plastic enclosed one (I did forget somethign to cover her with though), but there can be advantages with the wire ones, if you have an awkward cat, the vet can do certain things in them, and Molly was microchipped in the wire one (she dislikes being picked up).
Please spay your cat

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 00:36:39 AM »
I managed to get a good carrier on Zooplus - had a look at the total cage ones but my vets is really small and if there is a dog in there I think my cat's would feel too exposed.  I've had it lying out in the livingroom and they seem to really like it - I got one of the largest ones so that there is plenty room for Harvey.   Feels a bit more secure than the ones I have already for them too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 13:21:17 PM by Angeladeedah »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 21:38:54 PM »
I to had concernes over the plastic carriers because my kitten goes mental when he is in his carrier

Definately would be a wise buy then!
I cover mine with a towel if they wish, milly likes to look out just incase i dump her she can find her way home  ;)

Catbird

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 16:15:39 PM »
I am also looking for a cat carrier because my kitten has out grown his plastic one. 
The metal ones recormended - does the cat not feel a bit exposed with there being no cover?
I to had concernes over the plastic carriers because my kitten goes mental when he is in his carrier

If you are talking about the metal sort of cage-y ones, Dot has one and she is fine with it, she actually prefers it to the plastic ones, which are all enclosed.  Dot's a house cat and has never shown any interest in the great outdoors, so I thought she might be a bit freaked by it (it was bought on the vet's recommendation because as a Maine Coon, she's a big lass and I didn't like the look of the plastic clip things on the other type of carrier) but she was totally fine.  The only time she got worried was when there was a very loud and barky dog in the waiting room with us.  I had brought a towel with me, actually for fear of arse-explosion  :sick:, and draped that over the side of her carrier facing the dog and all was well.  The cage carriers are really robust and it is dead easy to get the cat in there - open top, insert cat, job done, with none of that distressing bleeding and use of Anglo Saxon.  You just need to bung some cardboard (Amazon's parcel stuff is particularly fine) and an old towel in the bottom of the carrier.

Hopefully your kitteh will be fine in such a carrier too.   :)

C.

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 14:51:28 PM »
I am also looking for a cat carrier because my kitten has out grown his plastic one. 
The metal ones recormended - does the cat not feel a bit exposed with there being no cover?

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 13:25:34 PM »
Thank you for all those ideas.  I will check them all out.  It's quite difficult with him being such a large boy!  I think even once we get his weight down, he'll still be big because he is generally a large sized cat.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »
I would reccomend a wire carrier especially for such a heavy cat. I dont trust plastic ones enough, one clip goes and it doesnt bear thinking about.

Metal cote make the regular size ones for a decent price http://www.catbaskets.co.uk/products.html

They come in bigger sizes too http://www.k9capers.com/shop/products.asp?cat=218 about half way down gives you the wire types, theres 10% off too until monday  ;D

Iv used both companies and i would use them again.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
Pets at home do some good carriers ... very sturdy.  http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-1+cat/category-is-1l+travel/category-is-1l02+plastic+carriers/

Or try ebay.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:40:45 AM »
I always recommend people buy the largest carrier possible when they adopt from me, the Argos one for £13ish can fit a nearly 9kg cat in quite comfortably.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Cat Carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 23:01:09 PM »
Hiya.  One of my boys is too large for his carrier - he fits in it and can turn around but the vets keep giving me row (although the vets is 2 minutes along the road from me so he's never in it for very long) so I need to see how about getting another one for him.   I didn't bother before but he has just been diagnosed which a heart defect so he will be at the vets quite a bit now.

How do you work out what the best size is to get?  He is a rather large boy - both in weight and general size (he weights 8.5kg - which we are currently seeing a nutritionist for).

Link to CatChat