Author Topic: Hoping to become owned by cat soon...  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
Re: Hoping to become owned by cat soon...
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 07:30:10 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs.  Any time is a great time to adopt a cat imo!  But perhaps that is just because I love them so much  :Luv2: 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 23:54:01 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I think January will be a great time to adopt a cat  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:08:01 AM »
Hello Rachel.  Welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:  Glad to hear you're thinking of giving a home to a rescue cat.  You'll find lots of useful advice and friendly people here, all of whom will egg you on shamelessly into the  realms of cat caring slavery  :naughty:  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:22:12 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 19:28:19 PM »
There will be lots (as always all year round  :( ) in january as it get slow around xmas and theres lots that just arent wanted when family are being visited  :(

Its sensible to wait until then if your being crunched  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 17:41:45 PM »
Hi Rachel and  :welcome: to Purrs,

Glad to hear you are considering a rescue.  In my opinion anytime is a good time to adopt a kitty ... however the winter months are slightly better as there is less chance of a new kitty escaping through open doors and windows.

You're right about this forum being useful ... there is loads of advice on tips on all things "cat".  

All the best

Sam
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rachel_East_London

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 17:38:41 PM »
Thanks Christine  :). Yes I've already had a little browse of some of the East London/Herts based cat rescue places, but without trying to get attached to any pictured cats as (hopefully!) come January they will have a happy home.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 17:32:30 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Rachel and congratulations on your decision to adopt a cat.  You will be able to adopt a cat at any time of year - we adopted Blip in December, as it happens.

Squirrels shouldnt be too much of a problem - they can be very bold but an adult cat will be able to cope.  Have a look at our rescue and rehoming section as there are several rescue members near(ish) to East London.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Rachel_East_London

• Kitten
Hoping to become owned by cat soon...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 17:18:58 PM »
Hi to everyone, have just found your forum and it looks really useful... Am hoping to adopt cat before too long, we have recently moved somewhere with a garden (with trees!) and space for cat, but unfortunately am feeling credit crunched at the moment so it'll probably be January. Is January a reasonable time of year to take in a rescue cat? I know it's not kitten season but it should be fine for adolescent and adult cats, I guess?

The only thing that worries me is we have seriously aggressive squirrels round here, a neighbour's cat was trying to chase one the other day in my back garden, it got a real fright when the squirrel ran down the tree and chased it across the garden! (I shooed the squirrel and fussed the cat to cheer it up, it was not injured but embarrassed).

Link to CatChat