Author Topic: Can I have some help please?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
Re: Can I have some help please?
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 21:00:16 PM »
The cat tree is beside my bed/in front of the window. Mitzy sleeps on one side of my double bed and he can get onto the cat tree from the cat bed (Yep his cat bed is on my bed. He likes it as before he used o sleep on my pillows so I figured he wanted extra padding and his bed is softer than my pillows, instant switch).

But won't those sticky paws make it sohe can't lay there? He lays on my sofa arm, then sits up and scratches.

My mum owns a pet store so I just order things in that I want, I'll try ordering a catnip spray if it's better than the drops.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 20:35:03 PM »
Sticky Paws do work, I've had to covered the corner of my sofa in them and Max doens't go near it when they're on there  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 19:44:31 PM »
Catnip drops arent very good, you need a good quality spray, zooplus sell a bottle, pricey but its ultra strong and like an essential oil floating in water, makes them  :Crazy:
I dont rate kookamumga that PAH sell

Where do you position the cat tree? Location is important as scratching is also a territorial marker, often why doorways get attacked.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:33 AM »
There are things called sticky paws that you can stick on your sofa to stop him scratching  (alternatively double sided sticky tape works) ... bascially cats don't like the sticky feeling and won't scratch.

you can also try trimming his claws (or ask your vet to do it when you go and see him) ... this often helps.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 23:35:21 PM »
I do move his paws in a scratchy way. I've even sat there scratching at it myself to show him.

I'll try the spray. Thank you.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 23:32:37 PM »
When he scratches instead of just taking him to the scratchpost you could try taking him over (straight away or the effect is lost) to the scratch post and moving his paws in a scratchy motion on the post itself.

I'm lucky that my current two cats are very good and don't scratch but my childhood cat had the odd go at the doormat.  I sprayed 'Pet behave traing spray' on the mat and she never bothered with it again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canac-Pet-behave-training-spray_W0QQitemZ220270194804QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220270194804&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 22:48:26 PM »
I can't really put the scratching posts where he's scratching, but I'll try the towel rubbing.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 22:44:15 PM »
I'm no expert but my thoughts on the matter are that his scent is completely ingrained in the carpet and sofa and that combined with the habit makes it pretty hard to break. I would be inclined to position the new post next to one of the areas already being scratched. I would also maybe get a towel, give the carpet and sofa a good rub then rub the new post.

just some suggestions I'd try. Someone might have better suggestions.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 22:40:01 PM »
I have catnip drops but he's not interested in them.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 22:39:21 PM »
Does he like catnip, as I heard spraying a scratching post with catnip can help.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
Can I have some help please?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 22:26:15 PM »
So I bought Mitzy this great scratching post, three tiers, with a hamock and a circle thingy and managed to persuade him that it's nice and he does sit on it and watch me and look out the window and use it as a stepping stone onto the windowsill. BUT he won't use it as a scratching
 post, just a seat. Instead he uses my stairs carpet and my leather sofas arm to scratch at. How do I persuade him that scratching happens at the post, not on the furniture and carpets?

Currently whenever I catch him scratching I either say no and he stops or if he doesn't I go and put him on the post. But...when I go to get him he usually stops and moves away from where he's scratching. And it's always the same arm and two steps.

Link to CatChat