Author Topic: I'm a first time meowmy  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
Re: I'm a first time meowmy
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 02:02:01 AM »
Thought you may like to see a more recent picture. He be sleeping shhhh
The other photos are like a few weeks old, he's much fluffier now. Even though it's not really clear on the photos. He's sleeping at my feet on a blanket. And it's a webcam piccy. I was showing my sister.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:03:15 AM by Amo_angelus »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 03:15:41 AM »
thats good  ;D

I can go to bed now and stop worrying  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 23:28:35 PM »
I buy frontline

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 23:19:52 PM »
Flea treatment from vets is safer than any used from a petshop unless they are selling frontline............there are reported cases or some cats dying from over the counter (petshop) spot on flea treatments.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 23:04:49 PM »
I don't know. I never buy pet stuff over the counter. I get it from the whole salers as my mum owns a pet store and we can get anything so long as we know who makes it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 22:58:40 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Misty looks lovely  ;D

Did I read right that you are using a spot on flea treatment? If so I am sure its one from the vets or Vets Uk isnt it  ;D  Ok I know yuou can buy frontline over counter now  :rofl: :rofl:

What I trying to say clumbsily is its not a spot on, normal over the counter stuff is it .......sigh, think I tired lol,  Bob Martin is what I was trying to think of I think  :shify:

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 22:39:09 PM »
I monitor CCTV Surviellance cameras.

Ragdolls are beautiful cats!

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 18:27:52 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs.  :welcome:

I'm the resident ragdoll slave curently owned by four raggies and a black moggy.

Mitzi is lovely.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 18:30:37 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
What is it you do AA?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 00:09:17 AM »
Oh it's a really lovely composition. Plus the colours are very warm. I'm sorry she passed away.

I was good at days, and I'm good at nights, so long as I don't have to do both I'm fine.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 00:04:18 AM »
Your siggy is lovely! Such pretty kitty poses. (Of course all the kitties in this thread are lovely, but that ginger tabby one is beautifully composed.)

I'm completely nocturnal, so I'm always awake at 3am :P

:thanks:  She was my childhood cat, got her when I was 10 and sadly lost her last year.  The pic is actually a scan of an 'old fashioned' printed photo but it's my favourite one of her.  She was so beautiful  :Luv2:  The other two are my baby boys Lukey and Riley (you'll hear a llllllooooott more about them if you stick around :evillaugh:), I adopted them after I lost Tiggy and they are the best boys anyone could ever ask for  :)

I'm nocturnal too, when I work an early shift I have to be up for 5:15am and it absolutely kills me  :tired: Nights are a walk in the park in comparison!

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 23:58:06 PM »
Your siggy is lovely! Such pretty kitty poses. (Of course all the kitties in this thread are lovely, but that ginger tabby one is beautifully composed.)

I'm completely nocturnal, so I'm always awake at 3am :P

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 23:54:17 PM »
I work shifts too so often post at random 'o'clock  - you never know, we might bump into each other at 3am  :evillaugh:

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 21:34:34 PM »
I always post at daft o clock, it's just a case of knowing what to post. I'm not very chatty when I first join a forum, but once I start making friends I start to open up.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 21:30:14 PM »
I have a feeling AA will be posting at "silly O'clock" just to test my theory now!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  But as others have said we are "international" so you there's always a chance there will be someone lurking  ;)

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 21:03:09 PM »
Oooh that would be nice.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
Granted probably not at 3am ;) but you'll usually find someone here lurking until about 1:30am if not later, and we have an early lot too ;)

and dont forget we span time zones  :wow:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 08:15:33 AM »
Granted probably not at 3am ;) but you'll usually find someone here lurking until about 1:30am if not later, and we have an early lot too ;)

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 20:17:28 PM »
I work nights, so most of my posting is done during the night or early morning so I doubt I'll ever get almost instant answers, but by now I'm kind of used to that.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »
Hi AA and  :welcome: to Purrs,

Sounds like you are a very responsible, loving cat slave and Mitzy has certainly landed on his paws being adopted by you.  As the others have said you will always get answers to any questions you may have (however silly they may seem).  There are lots of really helpful sections on the forum which I'm sure you will discover in time and as this forum is very active you are pretty much guaranteed to get a response almost immediately.

I'm sure you will have a great time on here.

All th ebest

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxxx

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 22:16:33 PM »
I already have a dangly toy like that. It has a feather on the end and two padded fishes. I think I have more fun with his toys than he does. Needless to say I spend a good ten minutes playing with them while Mitzy sits there watching me with this wierd expression on his face as if he's saying "What on earth are you doing? You crazy mad hooman" The only thing he plays with is the reflection of my watch, which had me in hysterics as he kept headbutting the fridge trying to eat the reflection. Mainly he gets affection and we race each other up and down the stairs. He seems to like racing me. He does it every time I go.

I'm no expert but since he started getting fluffier when I changed his food I believe it's directly responsible. See he was on whiskas (Have you read the ingrediants for that? Meat and animal derivatives min 4%? That's disgusting!) and he's now on highlife where the ingrediants are (for the tuna one which is his favourite) Tuna min 55% squid min 5% (the salmon one) Salmon min 26%, with about four other named meats. The turkey one also has a min 55% meat content. I believe that extra min 50% is doing the world of good for him.

As for his colouring? His nose is ginger and his ears are tabby. White and ginger.His left ear is mainly ginger, his right mainly white.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 22:02:57 PM »
Big  :welcome: to Purrs and well done for taking on an 8 year old.  He's gorgeous.

Mmmmm  :censored: chimneys have been the bain of my life with every newcomer. We have chimney openings in all rooms  >:(

Interested to hear that Mitzy is getting fluffier.  That's exactly what happened with our Freddie. Also a white/tabby cat. Vet said the longer fur length was an indication he was now living the "Good Life"  :) .  You might be interested in this thread showing Purrs Puds before and after

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,11380.0.html

Can't see what colour Mitzy's ears are. Hopefully they are tabby like Fred's but, if white, I'd be concerned at his penchant for sunbathing as white ears/noses need protecting to avoid sun damage.

You may also want to try toys out periodically as cats like to wind us up and love a toy one minute and hate it the next and vice versa.  Esp when cats first arrive, they will be nervous and not feel ike playing much with seemingly noisey/"aggressive" toys.  He probably also feels a little down about being kept in but you are doing great to have kept him in for a month. Keep it up no matter how much he whines until his vaccinations are working. 

Anyway, suggest you keep giving the "useless" toys a whirl. he might surprise you. Play is a really good way of bonding with a cat. Have you looked in the Purrs Shop? The shop donates all profits to rescues and has a laser toy but the Creme de la Creme in our house is of course the infamous Da Mousey. It's superb  :wow:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 22:12:39 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 21:17:58 PM »
Oh he get's plenty of attention while I'm in the house. I feel so bad when I go to work though which is why I bought so many toys. Shame though he doesn't play with any of them >_<

At the moment I've done my best to block of the chimney. I'm waiting for my dad to come and actually block it off with some wood, but for now there's a baracade there. I have the vacume cleaner a bag of aubiose (which nearly reaches the top of the chimney) and one of the pet carries on it's end with the door up. He can still get to the chimney, but usually after standing up against the pet carrier and judging the jump for a few minutes, but I usually catch him before he goes over, if not then just after before he's even got into the jumping stance to go up the flute.

He gets so many fusses and cuddles and now I've discovered the ne toy I didn't buy is the only one he'll play with. A laser light. He loves chasing the reflection on my watch. So I'm off to get one of those when I get paid too. He's much fluffier now than in those pictures. I started changed his food over from whiskas to high life and ever since I did he's just been getting fluffier and fluffier. I never knew a cat food could be so...make such a change to his condition.

His  previous owners say that he's more of a sun bather than anything else, and indeed when I first met him he was laid on the patio sunbathing.

but when I take him in I'll certainly ask the vet to check him over and do everything. I've had this vet for most of my life (since I was about five) and trust him implicitly, so I trust he'll tell me what I need and will do it all, although most of it is going to have to wait till I get paid, but I figured the rest can wait so long as he has his vaccs. There's about twenty cats on my road and my sister says even if they're vaccinated they can still carry it and pass it along and Fred and Princess specifically love to follow me around and demand I stroke them. At the moment I'm washing my hands vigerously everytime I come inside just in case.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 17:03:06 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and yes, you have definitely come to the right place.  There are some useful info sections on the forum, which you have probably spotted, as well as the wealth of experience of our members  :wow:

There are also some other useful websites with information for new cat owners, such as Cat Chat www.catchat.org which has a health and behaviour section and Wizz Cats http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 17:04:18 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 14:08:57 PM »
 :welcome: he's a gorgeous kitty  :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
As long as he's  getting lots of attention, although he will be keen to get outside, he will settle down to being inside for a few weeks. The 2 jabs will be 3 weeks apart and then you need to keep him in for a further 2 weeks to ensure they have taken affect. I assume he's neutered?
I would suggest putting something over the chimney so he doesn't climb it and just keep him entertained. Although you feel mean for keeping him in, it's for his own good so you're doing the right thing! :D
In terms of de-fleaing and worming, get the vets to worm him when he's having his jab and then make sure you get another tablet to take away with you for next time. A cat of his age should be wormed about every three months, especially if he's an outsde cat as he may turn out to be a mouser!
Although I personally think most cats prefer to be outside cats, some cats live perfectly hapy inside all the time so don't feel too guilty, you're definately not being cruel, you are doing the right thing as a responsible owner.
Let us know how it all goes! :D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
Certainly a cat with that many years without access will chomp at the bit to get out. I think that definiately wait to let him out until you get him chipped too. Collars come loose as you will find if you search around the forum so a chip is a good way to counter that happening. He certainly looks like he'll have fun on his adventures.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »
He's not chipped yet. I hadn't budgeted for the vaccinations so I'm getting them done before I get his chip done, but he's got a name tag with my phone number already (I went a little mad on buying him toys so he wouldn't be so bored while he was confined to the house, meaning I only have money for one or the other until payday which is the 28th). I have spot on to keep him insect free.

I think it's really incredibly cruel to try an keep an outdoors cat of 8 years indoors in a one bedroomed flat. Especially as he keeps trying to climb the chimney to get out so he can't go in one of the rooms, and he can't go in another room when I'm not in as he'd be straight out of the door.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »
if letting him out is a problem you can try and keep him indoors - lots of people do

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:47:08 AM »
That's good that he's been indoors that long. We'd normally recommend about 4 weeks to keep a new cat indoors so they get their scent at home.   You've done wisely to wait until he's vaccinated, chipped (important if you haven't already) and flea/worm treated. That way you know he's in good health.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
About a month. His owners told me he was covered but couldn't find his medical card with the dtes for his next jabs, so I asked my vet if there was anyway he could get the records, he told me to get Mitzys vet details and he'd be able to get his records transfered across, so when I asked his previous owners they said they don't know where he was registered, they'd moved over 4 years ago and not got him registered at the new vet and had forgotten his previous vets. So I've booked him in for them with my vet at the earliest convenience. Which Mitzy is not impressed with.

Which gives me a little more time to try and work out how to go about letting him out.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:44:05 AM »
Hi and welcome, you'll normally find someone with the answer to your question here! 

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

You've certainly joined the right forum, everyone has opinions and advice and we welcome the same back.

Mitzy is gorgeous, what a babe!!  Glad to see you posted pics early ;)

So how long have you had him then?

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
I'm a first time meowmy
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »
I'm a first time meowmy, and the first to admit that I don't know much about cats at all. I was mainly relying on my boyfriend and sister to help me out whenever I had a question. But he's now an ex and she's never had cats. So I'm joining this forum in the hope that whever I have a question I can get an answer easily.

I have one cat, he's an 8 year old ginger and white tabby called Mitzy. He's supposed to be an outdoors cat, but I was told he was vaccinated only to find out that those vaccs are 4 years old, so he's been put under house arrest longer than I had planned while I get his jabs done. He's in on Thursday for them I believe. Meanwhile he's plotting on climbing the chimney to get out and play. So please bear with me if mid post I seem to loose my train of thought, that's me distracting him...and myself in the process. He's a very sweet, loving and cuddly cat. He's very curious too. But I do have some problems and questions.

As for me? I'm  21 years old, come from Sheffield and as you may be able to tell, like latin. My screen name is latin, it roughly translates to cherished angel. I say roughly, because I can only do rough translations as I haven't been learning the language very long. My sister chose the English name, but I figured that was probably well over used so the Latin one was made and I've not had any problems with it.

So would you like to meet Mitzy?

He's currently sat on my computer desk watching me type ^_^ So if there are random blurbs of incoherency...I had to rescue my keyboard.

Link to CatChat