Author Topic: Are your cats vocal?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline summerleft

• Adult Cat
Re: Are your cats vocal?
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 16:40:34 PM »
Some are

Fluffy couldnt meow as a kitten so used to sit and open her mouth but no sound came out, shes now learnt that we love her squeak! and it gets her food haha

clever kitties

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 22:37:44 PM »
Oh yes,  Oliie is very vocal and likes to speak to me all the time whilst following me everywhere.  Harvey on the other hand doesn't have much to say for himself except when he's hungry or when I've caught him doing something/or he thinks he's doing something that he shouldn't be (which is really funny) - even then its just an itsy meow.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 23:01:22 PM »
All my ragdolls are very chatty. They all have their distinctive "chirrups" and "meow".

Tiffy, my 19yr old black cat sounds like he's being strangled when he meows.  :rofl:
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 22:58:33 PM »
Dave now talks a lot more but not to me. he shouts at Chilli when she goes out in the morning and I hear him on the other side of the front door as I go to work. Tonight he was shouting out the window at my neighbours in the garden, I think he wanted to join them. Apparently I am nowhere near interesting enough as he just ignored my attempts to talk to him instead.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 22:52:18 PM »
Dylan is very talkative, we have many a conversation and he chatters away to me all the time and answers me back although he does get very much louder when he wants food. I just got told off because the dry food bowls were nearly empty  :rofl: When I adopted him his foster mum told me he was very quiet and she never heard him, the first night he was with me he started talking to me and he's never shut up since  :rofl: Hobbes on the other hand is very quiet and rarely miaows although as he gets older I do get the odd one now and again.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 21:37:47 PM »
Beavis is very gobby , and is teaching Gizmo bad habits! Jerry favours the stealthy approach! :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 21:36:16 PM »
All our 4 are all very different.  Tom used to be very chatty when me and OH talked to him but not anymore since he became hard of hearing. He can be very loud still but not when we speak to him  :(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 21:33:03 PM »
Jaffa only meows when he has something to say (such as "I want food NOW") but he does have quite a good repertoire of sounds.  Mosi is very talkative and likes the sound of his own voice (which is usually going "WAAAHHHHH" and is rather loud).

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 21:24:12 PM »
Rosie, is very vocal, but only at night/early morning. She is half Siamese and I have been told that Siamese are extremely vocal.

James on the other hand only does 'silent' miaows, but chirrips constantly when he wants to play with Rosie.

Offline Shorty-Leanne

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 07:53:33 AM »
Hmm, this is quite interesting actually, I always thought most cats were somewhat silent, lika Ria and Tia.

My Auntie[and now we see what she means] thinks she has Burmese or something similar in her, because she has the face shape much like one...And then I realised last niht, IF that is the case, it'd certainly explain her vocalness! :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 23:00:56 PM »
Zephyr is very vocal (but he's a foreign so it's to be expected).  Foxy natters occasionally and Rossi never makes a sounds.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 19:40:20 PM »
Max is a very vocal boy, you can have a whole converastion with him where he'll answer everything you say ..... think it might be more to do with the tone of voice though than how scintillating my day has been  :shify:  :shy:  :rofl:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 15:15:08 PM »
Oh YES:
Meow - Hello mum, I've missed you while you've been at work
Meow - I'm hungry mum
Meow - My mouse is under the settee
Meow - why is the bed only half made
Meow - I want my belly rubbing
Meow - I want you to stroke me continuously
Meow - Share your yoghurt with me please
Meow - I love you and I'm glad you're my mum

ETC.ETC.ETC

Mary and Bonnie
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 13:36:52 PM »
Memphis talks a lot. He seems to lack a proper meow just makes this cute little noise. He is at his loudest when breakfast/dinner or a treat are presented to him.

If you stare at him he makes a noise, same as when you talk to him. If you get a toy out to play with him he sort of squeaks, and he squeaky grunts whenever he jumps down from something.

When he's not awake he snores  :-:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
At the moment Chilli does a lot of grumbling but it is directed at Dave! She will occasionally ask to get out but both of them are fairly silent cats. Dave does wander round having a chat with himself sometimes but only sometimes. In fact Chilli is so quiet, once I forgot to feed her  :-[ Every other cat I have known asks to get fed but not her, she'll just wait till you put it out.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »
Bunty talks and churps enough for all my cats - its constant!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
My Dragan was the most vocal cat I ever knew, he would "talk" to me all day.  He sounded like the cat from the clip on Richard and Judy.  Charlie chirps or squeaks when he wants something or is in a good mood.  Guinness had a little meow when she wanted something and poor Madison would open her mouth and nothing came out!  I miss my chats with Dragan a lot

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »
Jameson is a quiet boy, but will chirp at me if he wants attention or food!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »
Sophie only really miaows if she wants to go in the garden and I've dared to close the back door.  Otherwise she chirps to say hello or answer, if you speak to her.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »
Hi,

Yes they are all vocal, Suzie has a very loud miaow, Frankie bumbles around miaowing to himself all the time and to me when he wants to me to lay down so that he can jump up onto my lap and Alfie also miaows to get my attention and makes a lot of noise at meal times.

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
Mogs is very vocal and always has been. She likes to be talked to and answers. Amber is very quiet but every now and then seems to think she should say something and has a yowl then when Im trying to find out whats wrong she shuts up and purrs again.
love
Tab

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
Izzy is the same she meows very rarely and when she does its a rasp more that a meow. :evillaugh: Bella on the other hand meows all the time. If she's settled on my lap and I have to get up she sits on the back of the sofa and meows and meows until I come back  :Luv2:

Offline Shorty-Leanne

• Adult Cat
Are your cats vocal?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »
 :innocent:

Ria and Tia are pretty silent cats, Ria only meows if your going to feed her or she wants a fuss, and even then it's a little meowp.
Tia is much the same really.

But Maggie  :-: she is VOCAL! right now, and for the last 20mins, maybe more, she has been meowing, and meowing and meowing.....She's started doing this is in the morning for a couple of days now. And I'm thinking when she does it in morning it's cos she wants out of the room[still in safe room cos of cat-cat intros] BUT she meows when she sees you/walks in a room/jumps/is hungry/wants a cuddle....Just MEOWS.

At first, much like with Ria and Tia, if she meowed I'd though something was wrong with her, y'know like hungry or whatever, but it's hard not getting myself used to a shrieking cat  :rofl:

Millie is somewhat vocal, but she kitten meowps, and only when you touch her[which is pretty funny]

Link to CatChat