Author Topic: Just got a rescue cat and I want another - please help..  (Read 985 times)

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
Re: Just got a rescue cat and I want another - please help..
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 18:39:13 PM »
Thanks LeighK. I did actually get another one, but that's a whole new post!  :Crazy:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
Re: Just got a rescue cat and I want another - please help..
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs In Our Hearts,

I'm no expert but I'd be inclined to let him properly settle in for a few weeks, get used to your home and gradually get his bearings outside before introducing a second cat by that I'm not suggesting that you need wait months but at least until he has found his feet so as to speak.  I know this means doing things twice around as you said but I think that it might be a bit hectic and less worrying than trying to keep an eye on them both at the same time. As I said I'm no expert although I have had outdoor cats and have done quite a few introductions over the years. IMHO there's no guarantee that introducing a new cat will go more smoothly were you to get him a buddy straight away than if you waited a short while as it depends so much on the cat/s' natures  if anything I'd have thought that it might add to the confusion at a time when your new cat is getting his bearings. I do however think that two cats do make for excellent company for each other especially when one (me that is not one of the cats ;D)  is out at work. My experience is that it is easier to introduce a female cat to a male cat or vice versa than two males but then again it depends on how territorial and tolerant your first cat is and when I introduced Frankie to Alfie I took a few days off of work to be around in case fur started flying but I'm happy to say that it never did and Frankie just slotted into the scheme of things very well and they've become great mates but as all my cats are indoor cats as two of them have FIV I didn't have the added concern about them going out but that in turn means that one has the concern as to how are they going to get on together when they spend all their time in and around each other's company especially when one is at work.

I'm sure that you will get better advice here shortly.

Kind regards

Leigh

Oh and good on you for giving a home to a rescue cat
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:17:45 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
Just got a rescue cat and I want another - please help..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 22:39:43 PM »
Hi guys,

Some advice is what I'm after.

I adopted a rescue cat on Tuesday and I already want him to have a buddy. Do you think it's wise to introduce another cat so soon, or let Nobo settle in first?
My only concern with letting Nobo settling in is that he's an outdoor cat, and needs to remain indoors with me for a few weeks (so I've been told). If I bring a new cat in a few weeks down the line, then I'm starting the whole process over again. It's difficult enough keeping an eye on Nobo, ensuring he's not trying to unlock the door  :rofl:

I'm not a fan of having any cats outdoors but I also think it's cruel to keep them in, esp when our Nobo is obviously keen to get back outside.

Help please.

Lynds  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 22:40:39 PM by Lynds »

Link to CatChat