Author Topic: Fred's gone!... NOW HOME.  (Read 9106 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Fred's gone!... NOW HOME.
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 23:19:30 PM »
So pleased he is home  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 02:43:54 AM »
Thanks lots Sam. I just logged into those sites to update and noticed you had done it for me. I've been taken up with getting my brood settled back in. There  has been a little hissing from Samantha. She was so bad tempered earlier that I had to spray her with water from a small plant spray which I use for wetting my hair (makes it curl!). She wasn't pleased, but it cooled her temper.  :evillaugh:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 22:30:14 PM »
Hippy ... hope you don't mind but I updated your threads on thehovel and catchat to let everyone know Fred is back home.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 22:33:08 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 06:20:04 AM »
Thanks for the edit. It's reassuring to know that they do sometimes come home, even after over a week away. He is grounded until he's bonded more to me and learned his name. Victoria is over the moon.

It's hard to know when to give up looking for a lost cat, but certainly under six months is maybe too soon. I'll google how long the record is.

Thanks everyone. I've called the colony in my garden The Bramble Cats! I have the CP on side to help with TNRing them. Myself and a neighbour are providing food. She's named most of them. The woman at CP knows a vet who will ear tip, but he's quite a distance from me, so she's told me to give her a ring in two weeks and she might be able to help with traps and trapping etc.

Not promising anything except that I don't mind them living in my overgrown garden. Pat, a neighbour, is really fond of them and the way they keep down the rats etc.

As for Fred!  :naughty: :Luv:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Fred's gone!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 20:23:38 PM »
Woo Hoo what excellent news .... so pleased he is back home safe and well.  I have edited your title for you :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 20:10:35 PM »
Great news  ;D

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 16:58:04 PM »
Brilliant news hunnie  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 16:56:30 PM »
only just seen this - glad he saw sense at last!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 16:43:26 PM »
So glad he's home, I take it he is now grounded for a period

We have Pebbles grounded currently he did 28 days out, 10 in the garage and is now on week 3 on the inside! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 22:49:16 PM »
Excellent news - good lecture too!!!  :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 22:46:40 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit late with the update, but I've been so relieved that I can't stop snoozing.

He's home! On saturday night, when it was pouring with rain, I was in the kitchen making something to eat and had the door open incase 'Sir' wanted shelter from the rain. And in he walked, straight passed me, into the lounge and upstairs to see Victoria!! So I locked the door and flap and gave him a gentle lecture: "little pusscats who don't come in when they're called don't get let out!!!" He seems glad to be home.

I think the message has got across to him. Earlier I called Polly and Fred ran upstairs to me!!  :rofl: Maybe he's being tooo enthusiastic. My old ladies are glad to see him, and he's purring like a motorbike.

Thanks for the support. I now have about a hundred 'Wanted' posters I was going to put through more door. I'll keep them incase there's a next time.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 22:48:18 PM by Hippykitty »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 13:00:52 PM »
Any joy HK ... is the elusive one still evading capture?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
at least you still know he is ok, don't you wish you could talk sense into them sometimes!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 00:00:51 AM »
Good idea, Sam, will try this. I hope I can be quick enough to close the door before he legs it!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 20:50:15 PM »
oooh what wonderful news ... if he's hanging round the door could you try luring him into the house with the aide of a long piece of string?  You know what cats are like ... they like to hunt things  ;) if you can hide behind the door and get him to come in then you can shut the door behind him.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 17:51:23 PM »
Hes close to home so i would try the food plan first , if you dont get him that way then id opt for a trap.

Im glad you have victoria chipped, as for the collar id still say a quick release one is best, its important they stay on but doubly important they come off when needed too.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 07:37:54 AM »
He's hanging round my overgrown garden, which has lots of brambles arched over to form little nests underneath. There seem to be lots of ferals living there, maybe because a neighbour has been feeding them. They have a certain resemblance to the original colony. This morning I saw Fred hanging out with a young tom my neighbour has called Socks, because he's a tuxedo style black and white with white socks. Fred was aware of me, and the house and took advantage of the munchies I was trying to lure him with, as was Socks! I wonder if he prefers being part of a colony than being a house cat?

Victoria seems torn. She loves her brother, but has also become fond of the comforts of home life. She's going out regularly to see him and staying out longer and longer. I'm wondering if I should shut her in. The trouble is, this would prevent Fred from getting back in if he wants.

Samantha and Polly are being kept out of the way in my bedroom, with food and litter. I think Sam may have been playing a part in this.

Fred isn't chipped, though I've had Vic done recently. I'm a little concerned about what would happen to him if the colony move on in the autumn/winter when the brambles are less lush and the students return.

I appreciate the comments about using a trap, but I think I'd catch every member of the colony except him. (Thoughts of TNR are popping into my head...but this involves so much complication. I've been down this train of thought before and chickened out.)

Cats! You feed them, take them to the vets, get them neutered and vaccinated, give them lots of love, and what thanks do they give us? They go out and play with the boys!  :Dont know:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
Perhaos you can borrow a trap.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 01:31:56 AM »
He's alive and has been in my lean-to.  ;D

Sam has been acting oddly, thought she wanted food. So I drew myself out of sleepy state and went down to feed her and found Fred in the lean-to at the back. Sam attempted to drive him away (I wonder if the little Bgger has been doing this?) so shut Sam and Polly in my bedroom, opened backdoor wide and put a pouch of food in there. When he made an investigation of the kitchen, I made the mistake of trying to grab him. He's still hanging around. Have left trail of munchies into the lounge and hope he'll get curious. If not, it could be a case of putting food just inside the backdoor late at night, and shutting S and P in bedroom and hope he develops a sense of security and comes in. Or I might ring round and borrow a trap, though this wouldn't be the best way to regain his trust.

Have back door open at moment. All those burglars!
Had Victoria chipped today. She hated the injection, it seemed to hurt her. Have bought her swish collar (elasticated, thought more important that the collar stays on....???) and will put this on when she's forgiven me about the vet. She's out cavorting with Fred at the mo.

At 4am yesterday morning, I had a phone call from a neighbour - who gets up very early - swearing she'd just seen him in her 'back passage'. Looks like she was right. I got drenched looking round the gardens, feeding yet more ferals at dawn today!

Will be glad if he decides the weather is too bad to stay out and comes home!  ;D I can get some sleep and not risk the chance of having my bones jumped while I tour the streets at night (or locked in local looney bin!).

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 21:52:12 PM »
The local ferals think I'm wonderful, going round the area with munchies at 10pm!
  :evillaugh: Hope you find him soon...

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
Hugs hunnie x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:17:51 AM »
Not yet. Masses of leafletting and some false leads. The local ferals think I'm wonderful, going round the area with munchies at 10pm!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 00:40:58 AM »
Any news?  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 13:12:09 PM »
I would place the trap in your garden and do it later at night once the ferals in your garden have eaten - we had to do this when trapping some of our ferals and usually set the traps in the garden about 10.30pm and checked them when we got up at 6am

Good luck and don't panic we took nearly 6 months to catch our Diva and she was fine :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:49:58 AM »
Thanks. Where should I place the trap? If I put it in my garden I'd catch every feral but him! Do you think his original colony area would be better, even though the colony are no longer there?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 15:35:38 PM »
Get a trap from some where and start putting his favourite food in it and hopefully he will go in the trap and be home soon

Return home vibes coming from  all of us at the Clan Cats :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Fred's gone!... NOW HOME.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:58:26 AM »
Fred, a large black and white ex-feral has gone. His sister, Victoria had gone for a walk through an open window the same evening, but she came back safely. While I was settling her, Fred went, and hasn't returned. This is his first time outside since he was trapped in November, when he was about four months old.

He has been gradually taming and I was in the process of teaching them to use a cat flap as I was considering allowing them out soon.

He has been gone 3 days from the Selly Oak area of Birmingham.

He knows his name but is still reluctant to be handled by me.

I have leafleted the area and put posters up in shops, the swimming baths etc. I have no idea whether he is still alive; he may have reverted to feral, although the colony don't seem to be in the area he was trapped from anymore.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 20:24:42 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Link to CatChat