Author Topic: Tell the IOC to Say No to China's Censorship!  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Tell the IOC to Say No to China's Censorship!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 21:18:01 PM »
I am perhaps one of the few members of this forum who has spent a great deal of time in the far east, including China.  I have also worked for Amnesty International.  So I venture to suggest that I know whereof I speak.  Human rights are beyond politics and I see no problem with a human rights post on an animal welfare forum; humans are animals too, after all  ;)

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Tell the IOC to Say No to China's Censorship!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 18:54:25 PM »
If reporters stopped trying to dig dirt and stuck to reporting on the Olympics then there wouldnt be a problem.

Journalists out in Beijing for the Olympics have said that they are having no problem with the slightly limited internet access.......ref  from the Beijing Olympic site and China daily site.

Why do you expect the Chinese to totally change its thinking in a few years and why dont those in  the West who criticize, go part way to meet the Chinese who for the Olympics have come so very far. Before China was awarded the Olympics the changes that have been made in the last 4-5 years would have been unheard of. There will be a lasting legacy in China from all the foreigners and the media reporting and for the first time China has opened its doors to the world. Yes there are limitations, and one would expect there to be because they have been so closed for so long.

This article from an American ex Olympian is very good but cant find it lol but she studies in China and says it all so much better than I can.

The Olympic Charter says that the games must not be politicalized so why are some parts of the media trying do do just that.

What do you know about China and the Olympics and what they have achieved?

Give China a chance to join the world and stop being so predjudised.

I thought that Purrs was also a non-political site so why is it being used in a political way with this petition?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Tell the IOC to Say No to China's Censorship!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »
China never should have been allowed to host the olypmpics in the first place!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/287767058?z00m=15993487
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat