Author Topic: Stronghold + Milbimax  (Read 11215 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Stronghold + Milbimax
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 16:44:03 PM »
NOAH websites info sheet on Milbemax says:
No studies have been performed with severely debilitated cats or individuals with seriously compromised kidney or liver function. The product is not recommended for such animals or only according to a benefit/risk assessment by the responsible veterinary surgeon.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 10:23:59 AM »
No idea Desley. My vet gave me the information about Milbemax when Clio my CRF cat was still alive. It is also listed on the product details on web.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 21:52:31 PM »
That is interesting Teresa, explains why Milbemax is still a POM - you have got me thinking of what wormer Snowy had, as she had raised liver enzymes. I know everybody since has had Milbemax (can get Drontal cheaper, but end up with cats foaming at the mouth, so well worth the extra couple of quid!!). Out of interest, do you know what woudl happen if a CRF/liver issue cat was given Milbemax?
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 17:31:27 PM »
I use Stronghold and Milbemax a few days apart and on vets advice and have never had a side effect.
As a matter of interest most wormers are tested at 10 times the recommended dose with few if any side effects.

Milbemax should not be given to a CRF cat or one with compromised liver function without vets agreement.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 15:47:12 PM »
I dont' routinely use STronghold though, I just use it a couple of times a year.

Desley, Blip didn't tolerate Frontline very well, but she seems to have no problem whatsoever with Stronghold. I do believe Teresa is a Stronghold aficianado too and, if I'm right, she's dealing with a much larger 'sample' than I am (if that makes sense).

Edited to add: it'd be interesting to hear people's experiences on this issue...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 16:03:18 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 15:39:02 PM »
I have used both in the past, as long as there has been a gap between - both came via the vet. I dont' routinely use STronghold though, I just use it a couple of times a year.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 19:06:40 PM »
Cheers, Milly's Mum.  :) Our vets are remarkably good, so I was puzzled by what that vet said to Michelle, more than anything.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 19:03:32 PM »
Its possible Ela, do you mean Droncit?

I certainly do, sorry I knew it began with a D and was rushing to post just before we had to take Badger to see his uncle Eric (vet)

I still cannot imagine you could use Stronghold and Drontal at the same time, that is like double roundworm treatments.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 19:13:40 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 18:43:45 PM »
Christine i wouldnt worry, i think it was probably in the context of not at the same time, like you can a frontline and a drontal.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 18:39:02 PM »
Our vet has prescribed Stronghold monthly and Milbemax every three months for Blip. I don't administer them in the same fortnight...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 18:29:52 PM »
Its possible Ela, do you mean Droncit? Thats the spot on for tapeworm.
I use drontal/milbemax with a stronghold but as the dates dont come near each other im not overdosing. Worming preps dont linger in the body anyway and spots ons live in the sebacous gland in the skin so i think its ok.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 18:27:40 PM »
Do you think someone is talking about Drontal Spot on as Stronghold does not cover tapeworm? Although I personally would not give 2 preparations on the same day. By giving Drontal cat tabs it would mean double dosing for certain worms.

No she was saying if you use STRONGHOLD SPOT ON you musnt use MILBIMAX WORMING TABLETS

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 18:26:00 PM »
I dont know any more lol

I happened to pop into a Vets this afternoon (wasnt my vet i was just passing) to get a worming tablet and the VN said "Do you use Stronghold because you cant use Milbimax if you do " - i actually use Frontline so it want a problem so i didnt ask anymore, Sorry

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 18:24:17 PM »
Do you think someone is talking about Drontal Spot on as Stronghold does not cover tapeworm? Although I personally would not give 2 preparations on the same day. By giving Drontal cat tabs it would mean double dosing for certain worms.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 18:18:15 PM »
I'd be interested to know more too - Blip has Stronghold and Milbemax at present.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 17:48:55 PM »
Why? Please tell!
I thought with a space inbetween it was ok

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Stronghold + Milbimax
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 17:44:57 PM »
I learnt something to day -