Author Topic: Changing type of cat litter - any suggestions?  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Changing type of cat litter - any suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
i've order classy cat from zooplus (and some of your orjien sp? for star and her waistline problem!!)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »
I only realised last night. The upstairs tray had PAH own ultra clumping in. I bought one to keep litter in upstairs, rather than having 2 open bags. I'm sure there was a smell before though. Maybe it is to do with being warmer as you say. Our basement is quite cool. The kitchen get quite warm but it is a huge room whereas the bathroom is more enclosed (12' x 10') so could be holding the smell?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:43:37 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 14:02:12 PM »
at least it's not just my nose!  I'm tempted to try something else I know that you can't expect litter trays to smell of baby talc for long but I was hoping for a bit longer than this!  Maybe its because its hotter upstairs - well it is in our house anyway???

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 14:00:26 PM »
Mark, Sam someone tell me!!!!!!

Really odd but I have started noticing it in the upstairs bathroom. I keep going to scoop it and there's nothing to scoop. Not a strong smell but more a stale smell. I don't notice it with the other trays though.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 13:30:06 PM »
We just switched from Sainburys clumping to sophisticat pink... which seems to stain Smoke's paws a bit pink.

Not sure that should happen but I've been calling her Miss Pink Paws.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 13:25:09 PM »
anyone tried classy cat from zooplus?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
Mark, Sam someone tell me!!!!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
I got tigerino for the upstairs tray - what am I doing wrong I put it down on Wednesday and had to change it all on Saturday because it was really smelly - not something that happens with chick crumb - I'm scooping every day but am I doing something wrong??

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 18:30:32 PM »
I second the golden grey or tigerino nuggies from zooplus if you decide that clay clumping litter is what your'e after.  I have empty plastic tubs from buying it at PAH (or sophisticat premium choice from tesco which also comes in a plastic tub) and they are great for emptying the big bags of golden grey or tigerino into.  Both the golden grey and the tigerino are way cheaper than most of the clumping clay litters available in shops over here.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 17:49:37 PM »
I got some Oko Plus in PAH, changed the litter when I got home and both cats tried to get in the same tray at once,

LOL!  :rofl: that made me laugh, had they been crossing their legs waiting for you to come home with the litter?!!1 LOL!  :evillaugh:

They must have been - the door had been open all morning for them to go out but for some reason they would rather use the tray! Luckily I hadn't put the lid on yet or they wouldn't both have fitted without standing on each other!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 16:13:12 PM »
We have tried tons with our guys and they are happiest with Tescos Value stuff its weird, plus it doesn't clump, isn't heavy and the smell is no existant really.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 15:44:38 PM »
I got some Oko Plus in PAH, changed the litter when I got home and both cats tried to get in the same tray at once,

LOL!  :rofl: that made me laugh, had they been crossing their legs waiting for you to come home with the litter?!!1 LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 23:06:16 PM »
I recently changed to the Oko Plus and I am very impressed with it, it clumps really well and there is no smell and the bonus is it doesn't get scattered all over the floor like the standard litter I've been using. My boys took to it really well and I think it's quite soft on their paws too so they like it.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 16:09:12 PM »
I got some Oko Plus in PAH, changed the litter when I got home and both cats tried to get in the same tray at once, so I guess they don't mind the change! Pleased with the clumping action too, certainly a lot better than the old stuff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 13:14:52 PM »
If you want to try ultra-clumping, PAH sell it in a plastic container. The wees turn into solid clumps and can be taken out. Since I changed to ultra clumping, I wouldn't go back to any other as the smells have gone now - I was using catsan before but it didn't hold smells very well. If you like it, you can order tigerino or golden grey from zooplus.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 13:10:49 PM »
Thanks! I'm just about to go over there for some more food so I'll have a look for that.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »
Oko Plus is a clumping litter available from PAH and it is very good, traps odours and also safe if a cat eats it. It is just like World's Best Cat Litter but much cheaper.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
That sounds pretty good, although ideally I was looking for something I could get from PAH as its about 5 minutes down the road!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »
Golden Grey or Tigerino nuggies (both from zooplus) are excellent .  They are actually very fine litters but I use both and have to say I get less on the carpet then when I was using the "courser" types.

They seem expensive but due to the wonderful clumping ability and ability to keep smells down they actually work out cheaper.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Changing type of cat litter - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:27:49 AM »
We currently use the pellet litter that looks like its made from recycled newspapers or something, the cats are happy using it but as it is non clumping, its pretty hard to remove wet stuff from the tray without having to totally change the litter, which would work out very expensive. If there is more than one wee in there, chilli won't use it for pooing in and goes on the mat next to the tray. It also doesn't cover smells well.

I'd like to change to something clumping, but it would have to be fairly large grains as the little box is on carpet, it has a mat under it but most of the grains would end up on the carpet! Anyone have any recommendations?

Link to CatChat