Author Topic: Hello from cornwall  (Read 6302 times)

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
Re: Hello from cornwall
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
Hi, I'm a newbie and we're from Cornwall too.  We live in St Austell.  We have just adopted a 14 year old cat called Toby from Truro cat protection league.  We've had our home visit and we're going to pick him up Saturday afternoon.  The time is dragging I can tell you.  We've already got his bed set up and we've been talking about him, so our two and a half year old son is prepared as he can be for Toby's arrival.  Mind you, he did tell me this morning that he only likes "Toby and Bodmin".  Good start  ;)  Never mind me, I'm just his mum  ;D
McIntyre Quad

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 18:32:33 PM »
I am in love with Circles - poor  little soul   :Luv2: :Luv2:
I hope whoever did that to her gets their comeuppance and literally rots  in hell  :censored: :censored:
So glad she has you now and you are obviously doing a fantastic job with them all.
Its wonderful there are people like you around .
I have never been to Cornwall - cant leave my cats now to go on holiday - maybe one day ! It is a place i have always wanted to go though .

Interested to hear about the vitamin c - will mention that to my vets - i rather give that than have them on Prescription diets , due to some things i have read about Hills Prescription diets online.
My Smartie has suffered from crystals and been on Hills c/d for a while , but am starting to query it - although since being on it -he hasn''t had a flare up -touch wood!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 18:34:38 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 15:07:04 PM »
You could also try the homeopathic remedy berberis, that works well for cystitis.

Just to say as a general point: always consult a vet if you have concerns over your cats health, whatever they are.

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 14:15:17 PM »
Oh crystal - you are such a star!  Poor little Circles is such a luck little kitty to have a home with you.  :Luv2:

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
You could also try the homeopathic remedy berberis, that works well for cystitis.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 10:27:22 AM »
That's good, and I hope you find a vet you have confidence in, there is nothing worse than a poorly animal and not trusting the vet.

Thanks for that, it is really interesting, I have tried to give cats cranberry, but it didn't go down very well!!
Please spay your cat

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 23:46:32 PM »
It is worth phoning the office and chasing them up as well, I have been told they are always desperate for fosterer's long term and short term.

I am aware of the risks of testicular cancer as I am with my smaller animals that cant be done, I always look out for any changes in all my animals as I do at work, where we deal with a lot of different cancers. When I find a vet I have more confidence in then I will look into it again.

Apparently with vit c, the body absorbs what it needs the rest goes into the bladder for the body to get rid of, while its in the bladder the urine is more acidic or alkaline which stops infections from forming like cystitis and stops crystals forming, just like we use cranberry.

Offline Tinamary

• Adult Cat
    • Aviary website
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 23:30:38 PM »
Will do that thanks.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 23:25:28 PM »
head office and shelters are in Cornwall, but they have volunteers all over the country, might be worth you requesting some info to see if you could help in your area. i have only had a few calls in 2 years, but some areas will be busier than others.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tinamary

• Adult Cat
    • Aviary website
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 23:23:46 PM »
Do we have a cinnamon trust in Cheshire, i have heard of it before but never seen one up here.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 23:18:01 PM »
Interesting, never heard of Vit C for cystitis

Poor Ollie, I take it you know the risk of testicular cancer cos he can't be neutered, and to keep an eye out for signs?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 23:25:57 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 23:14:24 PM »
I have heard through the fostering side of ct that csytaid hasn't work for a few cats and they are now on vit c with great success, I know that csytaid works on most cats but it didn't on sproket, he did go longer without having crystals when he was on it.
The CT isn't all that well known,it is hardly advertised.

I would like to introduce Ollie.
He is now 4, he has brain damage and ongoing respiratory problems and a dislocated hip. He was found by himself in a dustbin at about 1 week old maybe slightly less. I hand reared him, which was hard with his problems it took a while to start as he didn't know how to suckle. When he started to walk, he walked on his knuckles, so his legs and feet were massaged everyday and soon he walked normally, until somehow he dislocated his hip when he was about 5 months old, unfortunately with his respiratory condition having an anesthetic is too risky, he also hasn't been neutered, after the fight he had to live i couldn't risk it and because of his brain damage he doesn't act like a tom cat, he has no idea what they are for! ( he is also a house cat, never near any unspayed female) He has never been in any pain with his hip and it doesn't bother him at all ( when he gets older he could get stiff joints). He is smaller than the average cat, his growth is stunted, never meows or hisses except when going to the vets.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 22:47:32 PM »
I am surprised Cystaid hasnt worked, it is the first time I have heard of it not working - my foster with stress related cystitis did really well on wet food only and Cystaid (and I had up to 6 cats while he was here, a nightmare stopping him eating the others food though). Cystease is supposed to help, but there is a new med called Zylkene (or somethign like that, a search on here will bring it up). I have only done a small amoutn of dogwalking, not many people have heard of CT here, and I also foster for another charity, so they are my main priority in terms of getting the word out.
Please spay your cat

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 22:43:28 PM »
Hi
I have tried Cystaid, without much success, i am looking to find a new vet as mine offers no help except catheterised each time ( which can only happen so often) or pts. Lovely to hear from a cin trust dogwalker, an important part of the charity.

Hi Roz
It was lovely to speak to you, and will be again soon.
I don't volunteer for the trust, we that work at the sanctuary's get paid, its only min wage but most jobs with animals are. The sanctuary is an old farm in the middle of the countryside that backs on to national trust land, we have fantastic views, no close neighbours, great places to walk the dogs and we have 8 fields of our own. I work with cats, dogs, goats, 2 moorland ponies, 1 ex showjumping horse and one  Arab ex racehorse. What more could I want in a job. Our sanctuary's are unique right down to the BBQ we have for the dogs.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 22:16:39 PM »
What sad stories, at least they are safe and loved now. i have only dogwalked for Cinnamon Trust so far. Have you tried Cystaid for Sprocket?
Please spay your cat

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 14:01:00 PM »
Hi Tracey,

How lovely to see your posts...but also how sad.  It was lovely speaking to you the other day and now I have faces to put to some of the little loves you were telling me about.  Poor little Circles..bless her.  And Simba...so distressing.

But they have all now found their heaven on earth which is wonderful.

Welcome to Purrs :welcome:

You are in very good company....and it is so good to have a representative from the Cinnamon Trust on Purrs.  We all know what great work the CT do but I don't think we have ever had a member who is a volunteer worker at their HQ and national sanctuary in Cornwall.

Lots of love to you and all the babes,

Roz
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 14:05:44 PM by Roz »
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »
 Hi Tracey   :welcome: to purrs, all your cats are gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv: I love fluff monster :Luv2: what a beautifull little girl.  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 01:03:09 AM by pappilon »

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 23:47:31 PM »
Thank you for your comments. Circles is lovely, but unfortunately there are many cruel people out there. I will download the rest of my cats tomorrow a couple more with horrendous backgrounds.
I don't get any help with my finances. I choose to take on the animals so I don't expect any help. None of my animals go without, I am always buying stuff for them. (just got my order from the shop)!!! So most of my wages go on petrol to get me to work and my animals, as I work 45-50 hours a week I have no social life but to be honest I perfer animals to most humans. I have just had a weeks holiday its been like a busmans holiday.

Offline Tinamary

• Adult Cat
    • Aviary website
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 23:30:01 PM »
Oh my goodness i think you have just broken my heart with the story of Circles.
I cannot believe that people could do something like that.

Do you get help with finances for your cats.  You deserve to.

What a great job you do.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 23:26:14 PM »
Ahhh poor circles ..... how can people be so cruel.  She looks like a happy little soul and I have no doubt she repays your love and devotion 10-fold  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 23:13:38 PM »
This is Circles, not the prettiest of cats, shes about 7, a badly inbred Persian, she was thrown at a wall when she was a kitten and then kept in a rabbit cage with 3 siblings for 3 years.
When found the were in a disgusting state, all had surgery for ingrown nails and to remove teeth as there were too many in their mouths. They were all shaved and treated for skin infections. Circles has brain damage, it was advised to PTS but you only had to look at her and she would start purring there was life in the eyes.
She walks in circles, cant manage a litter tray ( we get round that), has some trouble eating as her face is so flat, constant runny nose which can get really messy as the nose is right between her eyes.
But to see her play and run upstairs shes like any normal cats, and she will scream for her cat milk!

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 23:01:31 PM »
Im from camborne about 20 mins from truro.
My husband doesnt have much say when it comes to taking in animals, he just rolls his eyes. But hes as daft as me when they are home. We have just taken on 2 baby rats ( his idea)!
Simba is my husbands fav cat.

Offline Tinamary

• Adult Cat
    • Aviary website
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 22:54:44 PM »
Hello Tracey
What lovely cats you have, I think i have fallen in love with Simba.
Where in Cornwall are you from, i love going down there.  My brother is at Mount Edgecombe and i have family near Truo.
Sounds like you have your hands full with your lot and your husband must be like mine.  Mine says nothing when i turn up wtih another box that makes an animal noise apart from, "which cage needs making up".

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 22:52:53 PM »
Maizie is from the national animal welfare trust. She is 7 and very, very sweet and gentle and loving. She just has the softest fur and is small and chunky.

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 22:48:55 PM »
This is fluff monster, not sure how old she is, I found her when I was out looking for my missing cat 5 years ago, she was extremly thin and her fur was all matted and covered with fleas, no-one claimed her so here she stayed. She is very quiet and I hardly know shes here,  she is getting on a bit now.
I think Im about half way through my cats now.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 22:42:18 PM »
OMG they are all gorgeous ... I love little Fox  :Luv2: and Simba is adorable.  He is obviously a very sensitive soul but it sounds like he has well and truly landed on his paws with you.

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 22:35:36 PM »
This chap is Simba hes 6 and has had 3 other homes before coming here, he had been hit by cars in two of the homes, the 3rd home couldnt cope as he was peeing on the bed.
He has psyhcological problems the bed wetting hardly happens now but he does self harm when he is upset or unsettled and he has at times ripped his face and neck apart ( sorry) and he can do it in a short space of time and is shocking to come home to a cat covered in blood, fur everywhere. Sometimes it does take much to set him off, a bang from next door to moving furniture. I can now spot the signs and get the homeopathic remedys ready which work really well and outbursts dont happen as much and most times are mild.

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 21:53:20 PM »
This is gizmo, also 11 years old and she is sprokets sister. There was another sister but she dissapeared 5 years ago, I did everything to try and find her and have never given up.

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 21:50:09 PM »
Pleased you like them.
Nice to hear from a cinnamon trust foster parent!
This is sprocket he is 11 years old and he suffers from struvite crystals, even on a special diet he ends up getting blocked which means another stint at the vets. I have spoken to another vet who sugested giving he vit c daily, so far so good.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »
Aw what a terrible start to their lives but they are safe with you now.  What beautiful little faces  :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »
Welcome to Purrs, can't wait to hear more about your cats - I am a registered fosterer for the Cinnamon Trust, but have never taken one in yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »
Hiya Tracy and  :welcome: to Purr's

Good on You!!! for all the work you do  :)

and I cant wait to see photo's of all your Furry critter's  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 23:47:22 PM »
Love em  ;D

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 23:42:58 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.
I am sorting out some photos but could take awhile.
Just to get started, I have pics of my two newest editions to the family, Ziggy (b&w) and Fox (ginger & White) both male they are aprox 3 months but still quite small as they were the runts of the litters. The kittens and thier mothers were taken away from the owner due to neglect.
I hope the pics show, aint done this before!!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 19:30:27 PM »

If an animal needs a home, thers usually room for one more at my home.

Hi Tracey,

Welcome to purrs.

You may well regret saying the above  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 18:52:54 PM »
Hi Tracey  :welcome: to Purrs,

I think you will fit in very well here.  Can't wait to see pics of all your furry family that sound wonderful.

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 18:44:06 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Tracey, and we look forward to hearing about your extended family  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 17:57:12 PM »
Welcome and yes cannot wait to see photos

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 17:39:20 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Tracey

Well done to you for taking in all your rescues - I'm sure they love their home with you.  Wow - what a handful you have there.  What a great job you have aswell!!

Can't wait to see pics (home and work).

TT

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
Hello from cornwall
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 17:32:15 PM »
Hi
My name is Tracey, live in cornwall and I am owned by 12 cats, all rescues and most with health issues from brain damage to psyhcological  problems ( I tend to take on cats that would be very hard to find the right home for).  I used to help out at a local cat rescue, but now I work as an animal carer for The Cinnamon Trust at one of the sanctuarys for elderly and termanilly ill animals.
I also have other animals, 12 rabbits, 1 g.pig, 1 gerbil, 3 robovski hamsters, 4 rats, 7 chipmunks, oh and a husband!!
If an animal needs a home, thers usually room for one more at my home.
Look forward to chatting with like minded people.

Link to CatChat