Author Topic: Giving up fostering  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Giving up fostering
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 10:00:52 AM »
Thats so sad Jenny you worked wonders with you little charges.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 21:59:43 PM »
thanks

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 19:12:45 PM »
We all have electricity running from the house and the pens are the Lindee lu pens with runs. Donna one of our fosters has just had a double one installed I think she had a base of 13' x 8'
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 17:21:44 PM »
How are your pens heated and how much space do they take?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 14:48:23 PM »
Cats Protection fosterer's are required to keep each rescue situation in a separate location be it separate pen (provided by CP) or room and on no account are we supposed to mix CP cats with owned cats for however long they are in care.

All fosterer's should be provided with a Cat Care  Standards booklet which is very similar to FAB guidelines by their Co-ordinator

Offline Squeak

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 13:47:35 PM »
It depends on each cat charity.  I used to have them in my house, but as I needed the space I put up pens instead.  It is also more complicated if you have cats of your own.  I deal prodominantly with kittens or mums and kittens so I have a fast turn around in cats.  The kittens are not vaccinated until at least 9 weeks old and so are very vulnarable to getting sick.  My cat although vaccinated could bring something in from outside and pass it on to the kittens.  The cats we get are also from the dregs of society so many come in ill anyway.  All kittens and cats go via the vets first and then move onto foster care.  They must go through 2 week quarantine peiod first and yes if it is adult we would allow it the run of the house.  I also have a 12 week old kitten on its own, so can't bring myself to leave it in the pen all day, so she stays in the house all day and goes into her pen at bed time.

I thought when you foster the cats are allowed the run of the house? Didnt know that they have to have pens. Can someone tell me how fostering works?

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 13:46:07 PM »
Oh right silly me. Are they isolated while the FIV tests are being done?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 13:37:39 PM »
IT varies depending on each charity CC - I dont have a garden, but I have a spare room that has been made into a 'cat room' rather than pens. Mine are isolated for the first two weeks, then whehter they come out depends on them really - Finn has only had 2 periods out as he walks round my house yowling, yet is fine in his room (until you leave him, as he wants to be with you all the time - but let him out, and he ignores you!!). You need to have some way of isolating cats in case they do have something, or if they are aggressive towards your own.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 13:33:28 PM »
I thought when you foster the cats are allowed the run of the house? Didnt know that they have to have pens. Can someone tell me how fostering works?

Offline Squeak

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 13:25:34 PM »
Its such a shame that you cannot make another plan.  I started fostering in my house and now have a double luxury pen in my garden.  I couldn't dream of giving it up.  There are just so many cats that need our help.  I have a mum in my pen at the moment who came in on New Years Eve.  She was found in a sealed cardboard box in a business park and she was 8 weeks pregnant.  I named her Eve (obviously) and she has subsequently given birth to 5 kittens who are just over 2 weeks old.  Two of them have already been reserved.  What would she have done without me?  The more fosterers we can get the more cats we can help.:'(

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzy, Brandy, Kitty and Toby the Springer Spaniel
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 19:16:21 PM »
Hi Des

Yes I am going to help them in other ways if I can.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 19:12:28 PM »
I am sorry to hear this Jenny, will you still be able to help your local CP out with other things?
Please spay your cat

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 18:09:05 PM »
Because it would mean the wall would be up to the pavement and no other house in our road has a wall up to the pavement. It's pathetic I know, but that's what the New Forest Planning dept are like. Another neighbour moved their fence out to the pavement (to widen their garden) but lost their appeal to keep it there. I could understand if it was to do with traffic visability, but it isn't.

I can have a hedge, which I have planted, and I was going to knock the wall down and put a fence up on the inside of the hedge, but planning dept have told me that I will be made to take the fence down if I do!! Even though the fence won't be seen once the hedge gets thick!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 17:28:12 PM »
Apparently moving my wall won't be 'in keeping' with the other properties.

How can just moving it  and putting one exactly the same not be in keeping?

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 17:18:24 PM »
I haven't looked in much lately as the Teddy Bears have been taking me over! I want to expand by taking on Party Planners all over the UK so I have been advertising for people who may be interested in doing Stuff-a-Bear Parties. I am also getting corporate orders and need a stuffing machine, hence why the spare room needs to become a working room. I already use another bedroom as an office, which also doubles as a guest room. The garage has been converted into a stock room and the loft is being cleared and boarded out as I need to put more stock in there!

I will still pop in now and again to see what's happening. ;)

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 17:09:18 PM »
Aww the kittys sound adorable, wish I could take them :(

Sarah x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 16:52:30 PM »
Oh how sad .... you won't be leaving us though will you Charlie_Bear  :'(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 16:37:54 PM »
Apparently moving my wall won't be 'in keeping' with the other properties. It will cost me over £1000 to appeal and then I could still lose so it's not worth wasting the money.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 16:27:19 PM »
What a shame cannot you appeal to someones better nature?

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 15:40:13 PM »
There's no where in the garden I could put one. I have a small strip of land outside my garden wall but I have been refused permission to move the garden wall out otherwise I would have room to put a pen.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 14:47:43 PM »
Is there no way you could have a pen in the garden?

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
Giving up fostering
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 14:35:40 PM »
The time has come for me to give up fostering. I have only been doing it for 14 months, but I desperately need the use of my spare room as I am expanding my business.

I have two lovely long haired black kittens that are 6 months old. They are the daftest soppiest cats I have ever come across. They both love being fussed and cuddled and would sit on you all day if you let them. They have had ringworm and a couple of bouts of flu but hopefully they should be ready for rehoming once they have had the all clear from the vets.

Sadly they will be my last cats for the time being, but I have enjoyed fostering.

Link to CatChat