Author Topic: Those with one cat..........do yours settle well during the day?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Those with one cat..........do yours settle well during the day?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 21:11:51 PM »
The breeder shouldn't be letting her kittens go before 13 weeks new zealand or no new zealand!  and should keep them for a week after the second vaccination to make sure there's no reaction to it.  They usually  have the vaccinations at 9 weeks and 12 weeks which is why they aren't supposed to go to their homes until 13 weeks.  Although it sounds plausible, the breeder should have thought about her trip to new zealand when she decided to mate her cat and worked out when they would be ready to go to homes.  She may be a perfectly good breeder in every other way (although the lack of litter training makes me wonder) but it's not a good way to get started with her first litter.  It makes me wonder where else she's cut corners.

Cats should be litter trained by that age but it sounds like little Tipsey isn't, although even a litter trained cat can have a few accidents when nervous in a new home.  They are usually trained by mum at quite a young age.  Jaffa was 8 weeks when I got him and he was litter trained.  Just keep on doing what you're doing as she seems to be getting the hang of the litter tray.  The crying is probably because she misses mum and her siblings.  She'll have always had a warm furry body to cuddle up to and now she's out in the big, wild world all on her own - you're her mum now!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 21:02:16 PM »
Yes shes been vaccinated.  She had her second vaccination on monday morning and we picked her up that afternoon.  The lady was going to new zealand to visit her daughter on tuesday so thats why we got her a week earlier than we had planned.  We've got pedigree papers of her parents, grandparents etc.

But i must admit i did think she was litter trained and i think the lady wasn't honest with us there. 

That is shocking. I am not sure whether to be more horrified that a breeder is letting her kittens go to new homes the day they had their second vaccinations or that she's selling cats that aren't litter trained! On your cats pedigree it will say either FIFe, GCCF or TICA if the breeder is actually registered. Might be worth contacting the organisation that she registers kittens with so they can have a word with her so she doesn't do the same the next time she has a litter.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 20:59:25 PM »
I think she is missing her family and yes her age may be something to do with it but moggies leave home from 8 weeks, but pedigrees are more sensitive LOL.

Sounds like you are getting there with the training and 4 days is a very short time for such a young kitten.

Has her crying started to improve?

I am sure she will settle down, given time but there will come a time soon when she is crying cos she is going into heat and will need neutering. If she is only 11 weeks then I dont think that will be the current crying cos its too soon.

have you got a picture of her, Tipsey I mean. Must stop calling her, her  ;D

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 20:49:59 PM »
Yes shes been vaccinated.  She had her second vaccination on monday morning and we picked her up that afternoon.  The lady was going to new zealand to visit her daughter on tuesday so thats why we got her a week earlier than we had planned.  We've got pedigree papers of her parents, grandparents etc.

I presume the breeder is listed.  Although it was her cats first litter.  All we were concerned about was that she came from a good family home.  And she did.  She was there with 5 cats, a dog and the lady had grandchilderen who regularly played with her.

But i must admit i did think she was litter trained and i think the lady wasn't honest with us there.  Not in a nasty way, but i think she was afraid we may change our minds.  We wouldn't have done.  It just would have been nice to be more prepared for the training.

So do you think it may be her age that's the reason for being not fully trained and crying alot?

I know right about her settling down soon.  Fingers crossed she'll get the toilet training sorted and then she can run about the whole flat.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 20:38:10 PM »
Thats what I was thinking too. Not only is she vaccinated but do you have her pedigree papers? Is this breeder registered?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 19:50:34 PM »
Hmm.. 11 weeks sounds rather young for a pedigree cat.  They aren't supposed to go to new homes until they're 13 weeks old.  Is she fully vaccinated?

I wouldn't worry about her being confined to one room while you're out.  If she's not fully litter trained that is probably best for a while.  She'll be fine and probably will sleep most of the time youre gone.  She'll get to know what time you go out and what time you get home and will adapt her routine to fit around you. 

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 19:47:10 PM »
Her name's Tipsey.  Shes got a blonde tip on her tail and sometimes she looks a little bit drunk when shes running about  :rofl:

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 19:45:30 PM »
She's 11 weeks, almost 12.

She is a pedigree bsh and we were told by the breeder she was litter trained.  But she clearly isn't.  She doesn't have a clue what the litter tray is even though i'm using the same pellets as the breeder.  Shes starting to wee in there now which is great.  But still poos on the sofa if i'm not there to catch her.  I don't understand how she hasn't learnt the skill from her mum and sisters. 

We want to give her the run of the flat when we go to work next week so she'll feel less trapped and alone.  But with her not toilet trained we're reluctant to do this.  Maybe we can get her fully litter trained over the next few days.  I really don't know how long these things take.

ps.  I'll get that box of chocolates for the neighbour!

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 19:20:08 PM »
Go round to your neighbour and give her a box of chocolates, apologise for any noise and explain the kitty will settle down soon.  They may then find it hard to make a complaint if you are being nice to them!

Karen

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 18:55:39 PM »
I  believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that cats who are indoor can sleep up to 18 hours in the day...not surprising they live so long!
Ha - nobody bothered to tell that to Jaffa and Mosi  :rofl:  I come home to cushions on the floor, dvds knocked off the shelf - they definitely don't sleep all day!

kittykat - how old is your little one?  When you return to work I'm sure she'll get to know your routine and be ok on her own.  There are toys such as panic mouse that you can leave running all day that might help occupy her but I'm sure she'll find something to entertain herself with while you're gone.  Just leave a selection of toys out and change them each day so that she's not got the same ones every day.  She's probably crying when you're there for attention but will realise that won't work when there's nobody home.  Just be prepared to spend lots of time playing when you get home!

And for the record - Mosi is 1 and he still doesnt manage 7 hours sleep a night!!  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 17:30:05 PM »
How old is your kitten?

I thought it was a pedigree and would have thought it would be litter trained when it came to you. Whats its name, if you told us I have forgotten  :innocent:

I have never had a kitten and my first cat was a stray and  probably dumped, who decided to stay so I never had any problems.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 14:23:47 PM »
I'm sure you'll do fine. It broke my heart the first week when Lexy stayed in the one room, and cried for me, but I made the mistake of sleeping in the living room with her the first night so she would be comforted...it took me nearly three weeks to get her to not want me. BIG MISTAKE!

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 14:12:49 PM »
Thanks Dawn.

Yes my neighbour is awful.  She had another neighbours dog evicted for noise.  So i'm obviously worried.  I think she would have trouble getting a cat evicted but i still don't want the stress of her threatening it.  We're moving to a house later in the year (fingers crossed) so life will be alot easier for us all then.  Plus lots more room for our little one to run about in.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 14:05:44 PM »
in my experience they do quieten down as they get older, my bengal Tilly who was 13 weeks when I got her became much calmer after spaying when she was 4 1/2 months she is still fairly vocal but nothing like she was then, she also had a few litter tray problems, our bed was fair game for quite a while!  She was banned from the room for a while and now sleeps on the bed all night without problems, so once your little one learns that she should use the tray and not the sofa she will be fine.  I understand why you are a bit stressed though, having a mean neighbour must be horrible

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 13:56:59 PM »
Thanks to you both for your replies.

I've got 4 days before i'm back at work so i will try my best to ignore her crying.  Its so hard hearing her cry because shes just a baby.  I just want to go in and cuddle her to reassure her.  But like you say, once you do this and they know the crying gets a reaction, she won't stop.

I don't think it helps her being stuck in one room.  But I can't let her explore until shes pooing in her litter tray.  We'll try our best to achieve that over the next 4 days.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 13:51:24 PM »
We've had Jess for 3 weeks, last week my Hubby was off with Flu and he said that he didn't see Jess for 4/5 hours he was asleep in his bed (under our bed) or on our bed.

Like Kittybabe says we know Jess has been asleep as his toys haven't moved and when we come in he pads down the stairs yawning and stretching like we've woken him up :innocent: I think he spends alot of time sitting on our woodern headboard looking out the window as well.

Jess is left from 10-11 hours a day and seems fine when we get in the first thing we do is feed and pllay with him before dinner and then after dinner we play some more. The only thing is I don't think he sleeps though the night too well he decides he wants to play with his noisiest ball when we get into bed which makes a right racket on woodern flooring  :doh:

I'm sure that your kitten will be fine and adjust well and just needs some time to settle in.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 13:49:16 PM »
Aw bless, thanks!! Lexy is very proud of her seat in the house thank you!

I think that there are others here who can tell you what to expect for your little one.

IMHO I think that you are doing the right thing in getting her used to you not being there all the time.  Don't be surprised if she reacts though the first couple weeks after you get back to work.

Lexy initially would start running up and down the house making a huge racket between 4-5am each morning and then up onto my back in bed so that I would wake up. Because she got a reaction she just kept doing it.

No matter what you little one does that is attention seeking, I would say that you should ignore it and not react to it so that she stops. Of course this totally depends on what she is doing. If you worry about her behaviour in any way, this is the best place to come to ask for help.

We have some brilliant people on here who have had cats for years and will be able to give advice too! :)

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 13:43:36 PM »
Thanks kittybabe.

Its only her first week here so i suppose im expecting far too much too soon.  I need to give her more time to adjust.  I play with her for nearly 3 hours in the morning.  Then she'll be left for 6-7 and then we fuss and play with her form 5 until 12 when she gets sleepy.  I hoped this would mean she'd sleep the night and the 7 hours she'll be left.  Hopefully she will do soon.

By the way, that picture of Lexy on the computer is so so cute!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 13:36:09 PM »
From my experience of having cats in the past, Lexy is the first I've had as an only cat, and she was 3 when I adopted her. I know she sleeps most of the day when I'm not there, as she drives me nuts in the evenings wanting loads of attention!  :rofl:

Her toys are not moved from the morning so I know she has been sleeping.

You will find that as a kitten she will probably play lots with her toys but will probably sleep most of the time.

I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that cats who are indoor can sleep up to 18 hours in the day...not surprising they live so long!

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
Those with one cat..........do yours settle well during the day?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »
We've had a kitten three days.  I'm off work all this week but return next week so i've been leaving her alone for increased hours each day.  Yesterday she slept for the whole 5 hours i left her and didn't make a sound.  But today shes meowing SOOOO loudly.  Firstly i hate to think shes upset.  And also, I live in an apartment so my horrid horrid neighbour will probably complain if its a regular thing.

Shes my first cat so this is all new to me.

Those with one cat, did yours cry at first and do they get used to it? 

Do you think she will be happier when she has the run of the flat rather than being stuck in one room?  (shes not litter trained yet so i have to keep her shut in the lounge for the moment)

I'm hoping she'll be litter trained soon and then she'll be happier on her own during the day being able to explore different rooms and furniture.

Link to CatChat