Author Topic: Not using the tray..  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Not using the tray..
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 18:58:34 PM »
Your a good slave  ;D

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 21:41:54 PM »
Ah I see.. I didn't know that! Will make sure the bean bag is thouroughly cleaned tomorrow and will walk a couple of mile to get the litter she likes. Hopefully all will be back to normal.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 20:49:02 PM »
When they nurse from their mum they can get infected with round worm, the cysts can live in muscle tissue and activate at any time which is why regular worming is advisable as they can re infect themselves instantly after being wormed  :sick:

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 20:46:12 PM »
Seems normal.. Solid enough and I haven't noticed anything obvious. Will disect some of the next sample..  :sick:

She is an indoor cat and has a very strict diet as she is FIV+. Just wondering, where would she get worms from?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 20:17:40 PM »
She should just wash normally, whats her poo like?  :evillaugh:

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 20:11:09 PM »
Is it likely to be worms etc. if it only happens after using the litter tray? I would have thought she was trying to clean her bum..

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 19:33:39 PM »
Bum rubbing - could beworms, anal glands or hair passing through.
I would worm her with a quality product and pop her to the vet for her glands to be checked, a VN should be able help you with that  :evillaugh:  when tabithas are full i can smell them  :sick:

Bean bags feel like litter under foot so an easy place to choose. I would try her with her normal litter in her normal hooded tray, normal litter in an open tray and an extra open tray of a nice fine grain clumping clay litter. Tesco sell one called sophisticat choice and other supermarkets do a version, must be extra fine tho, closest to the texture of sand.

Also, you need to clean her accident spot with either a premade pet stain remover or biological washing powder/liquid. Must be bio or it wont break every thing down  ;)

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 19:04:39 PM »
A couple of updates..

Tilly has just left a poop in the litter she didn't appear to like, although she didn't seem too happy about having to do it. Again seemed reluctant to put all four paws in.

She has also picked up the bad habit of wiping her bum on the floor. I've never seen a cat do this. She is only doing it after using the litter tray and shows no signs of other irritation. In other words, I'm not suspecting worms. Any ideas how I can stop this and help Tilly in her toilet troubles?

Steve
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 19:08:11 PM by Steve&Tilly »

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
Not using the tray..
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 17:37:38 PM »
Hi All,

I have a 2.5 years old Tortie called Tilly.

Unfortunately she has had a couple of toilet related problems the last few days. Luckily her usual favourite place to pee is the tray, but her second 'go-to' place is a faux leather bean bag. It's probably the best back up she could have as she tends to make a little indent where the pee stays and then it's pretty much wipe clean though, of course, it would be nicer if she used the tray. So I have been sure not to chastise her when she makes the mistake.

Here is what has happened so far:

A couple of months ago, and a few weeks after getting Tills, she was using the hooded tray (minus the door) without any problems so i thought I'd try the door on. I guess she couldn't find the tray so that was the first time she used the bean bag. The second time was only a couple of days after that and I believe it was because she was scared of a computer chair that was near the tray. So we moved it away from the chair and she had been accident free for a long time.

I am always sure to remove solids as soon as they arrive, however I think last week I left the rest of the litter a bit too long and Tilly used the bean bag. I went out to the local pet shop and bought some new litter and replaced the dirty load. I thought I would take this opportunity to try a different litter as the one I had before was not available anywhere locally and I had to order online. I got another wood one and she used it for the next day or two with no problem. Yesterday and today she is back to peeing on the bean bag. Interestingly she has always used litter for solids. I have noticed since that the new litter is pine scented, which may be confusing Tills. It's also non clumping and doesn't claim to be kind on paws.

I understand that there are a few glaring mistakes there that I will fix. I have bought a second tray and some unscented, kind to paws, paper litter for her tonight and will order some of the old litter to arrive day after tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone could give me any ideas what exactly she doesn't like about the litter. I observed her today going to the litter tray and digging around with one paw (leaving three outside), so she is aware of the tray. This leads me to believe that maybe it's either the feel of the litter or the depth? Please let me know if you have any tips or ideas for me.

Much appreciated,

Steve

Link to CatChat