Author Topic: training a cat to go to the loo outside  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: training a cat to go to the loo outside
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 16:52:34 PM »
I measure out that each time I fill Lexy's box its about 1 to 2 inches deep. I use an old chinese takeaway plastic container to measure out and it usually takes 3 to 3.5 scoops to fill it. A 30L bag lasts ages. I've found if I go deeper than that then I'm using a lot more. I don't top up the litter at all, I simply let it run down after I scoop out the wet litter (if you let it dry its easier to scoop if it doesn't smell) and then change it once a week.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 16:43:53 PM »
I have not heard of a clumping wood cat litter so have no idea what you are doing wrong. Perhaps you might try beauty cat or something like that. Also perhaps you are putting too much litter in the tray. Even with 4 trays using the right amount of litter a 30 bag should last a month
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 14:35:01 PM »
i scoop up all the poo and wee, and every morning i throw out the day b4 litter and disinfect and put new wood chip clumping smart cat litter in

when they go to wee and the woodchip turns to dust, i hae been scooping that up as well should i not bother when it goes to dust and just scoop out the number twos - is that where i am going wrong cause i go throw a 30litre bag in under 2 weeks

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:15:39 AM »
Would it be very difficult to change it every other week?

I cannot imagine changing the wood pellets only every other week if you have four cats, mind you I cannot imagine it with one cat come to that. I would have though with four cats it would need to be changed quite often. Although with four cats you really should have at least 4 trays, but a 30k bag should last a month.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »
I have 4  cats and use smart cat wood chip 30kg and it lasts me 2 weeks ( i must be doing something wrong) how do u make yrs last that long?

mmm, it does sound like a lot. You were saying in another thread that you changed it every week. Would it be very difficult to change it every other week?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 10:26:15 AM »
I spend £30 odd pounds a month on litter,

That seems a lot for 4 cats I would have thought 1 bag of the wood pellets coating about £8-£9 in the shops here, although we get  for just over £5 a bag  which should  last at least a month.

Cats Protection advise always provide a litter tray irrespective of your cats age even if they are allowed out, if you keep an eye on what your cat is passing, you can spot many problems, e.g, cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment. It is shown up if the cat uses the tray frequently and or, passes blood, something you would never know if you had no tray.

Last year it was necessary to have Trudie a long term CP cat PTS due to bowel cancer,  I would like to think that Trudie's untimely death has not been in vain as a lesson can be learned from it, and that is the reason why everyone MUST always provide a litter tray no matter how old the cat and irrespective of the fact that it may go out. So many times I am told oh! I have no need for a litter tray my cat goes out now. Had Trudie no access to a litter tray the cancer would have continued to get the better of her and she would have suffered, she looked purrfectly well and  it looked like there there was no reason to take her to the vets,  the only reason we took her was because I noticed she was going into the tray more frequently than usual and there was blood on most pooos and drops in the tray. None of this would have been noticed had we no tray we don't know what  our little ones are putting in the hole in the garden, do we?   

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 08:59:29 AM »
I have 4  cats and use smart cat wood chip 30kg and it lasts me 2 weeks ( i must be doing something wrong) how do u make yrs last that long?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 22:51:17 PM »
I know litter is expensive.........do you buy on line? In bulk often cheaper but dont forget P&P.

My 4 all go outside but when weather is bad or they feeling scared or just dont wanna go out then I always have litter trays around.

I dont think its a good idea for them to be forced outside and indoor litter trays are a must.

I have three who use the trays and one who wont and I get my litter from a shop who gets it for me and a 30 litre bag is £10.20 and usually lasts about a month. Depends on how often they use it. Mine now costs less from the petshop cos P&P was by weight, although I have 20 mile plus round trip to get it LOL. However now I only get two at once cos to reduce the P&P I used to have to get 4 at once when buying on web.

I dont use one that is available in shops, so it has to got specially but I reckon its the best wood chip one around, goes further than the cheaper ones and smaells better  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 19:02:19 PM »
Hi Tania, furbabystar is right, keeping a litter tray is a good way of keeping track of common illnesses in cats that you will never know about if they only use the outdoors, however, if you do choose to want to get your cats used to going outdoors, you can try putting their tray closer to the back door each day and then adding a bit of the earth from outside in their litter so they get used to the smell and texture. (i read this in the cat whisperer book and it does make sense).

But if I had the choice I would still use the litter tray. My sisters cat is prone to UTI and even though he loves being outdoors, they still only let him use the litter tray before he goes out so that they can keep an eye on what he releases.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 18:38:11 PM »
Hi Ya,

There are some advantages of have a litter tray, its the easiest way of spotting problems EG; An Urinary Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection, Cystitis etc or something as simple as Diarrhoea.
I personally would still keep a litter tray.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
training a cat to go to the loo outside
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 14:39:30 PM »
Hi
I spend £30 odd pounds a month on litter, and i was wondering my cats are indoor cats ( they had the choice to go out but they prefer lazing indoors with me) but is there anyway i can train them to want to go outside and go to the loo so i only have to use litter at night times as i would rather spend what i sped on litter on toys for them or a fund if ever they were ill

Thanks

Tania

Link to CatChat