Author Topic: HOMED - Snowshoe Loving Home Waiting for Siamese/Oriental Type (Northants)  (Read 19385 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
great news Max!  how old is she, can't wait to see photos

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
Just popped by to thank everyone for all of your help and support.  Yesterday we adopted Tao, a young adult snowshoe, from a rescue centre in Northamptonshire.  She is settling in well ... I will post some pictures soon. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Loving Home Waiting for Siamese/Oriental Type (Northants)
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 18:06:54 PM »
Good point MM, but isnt that a chance we all take when we take on a nice puss cat let alone a pedigree? Some breeds are obv more sought after then others, but still wouldnt make me keep a cat indoors just becuase it might get stolen.. I would hope to think that the neighbourhood Max lives in is honest!

Yes its arisk with any cat but any idiot  :censored: can spot a ped from a mile off and know they can sell on.  You cant know everyone in a neighbourhood.
Cat & dog theft is sadly on the increase and i for one couldnt live with myself if id made it easy for them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 13:54:49 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 00:16:06 AM »
http://www.catadoption.co.uk/category/siamese/

Any good?

Hmmm....never mind. Noticed that was from August LAST year. Bedtime, I think!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 00:28:02 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 23:37:02 PM »
I am sure you will find the right cat but you just need to be patient  :hug:

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 23:35:47 PM »
Dont worry Max, its hard sometimes when peeps interpret what has been said cos so many interpretations can often be found.

I have two birmans who go outside but dont roam, they are pretty and one of them used to. Think its too much like hard work for him now and he far prefers to be on a lap or bossing me about  :rofl:

Thanks Gill, and everyone else who have put forward my views (more eloquently than I!).  I have tried at all times to have been honest, but am almost regreting it now.

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 23:32:54 PM »
Because I am out is why I want a confident cat, who I know will go and find the company she needs when we are not there.

That bit is key as far as I can tell - Max is saying she knows the cat will seek attention from people (presumably her neighbours) when she's at work, and that's OK. I tend to agree with BC, it's all down to how to how you interpret what you read.

I also agree with Sharon - anyone who has a pretty cat may get worried that someone will take a liking to their puss.

The 'when we are not there' is key.  It is mine (and my parents) experience that cats like Tiggy will go and seek out other human company, however they usually come back when their owners return, for it is an extra special bond they form with them.  Yes, we worried every day that someone might take a liking to our cat, but I could never have deprived Tig of her freedom, to me that would have been very cruel and selfish of us.  We always considered ourselves lucky that Tiggy chose to live with us, rather than keeping her prisoner.  She could easily have gone off and found new owners, but never did ... we must have been doing something right ;-)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 23:31:09 PM »
Dont worry Max, its hard sometimes when peeps interpret what has been said cos so many interpretations can often be found.

I have two birmans who go outside but dont roam, they are pretty and one of them used to. Think its too much like hard work for him now and he far prefers to be on a lap or bossing me about  :rofl:

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 23:21:52 PM »
Blimey ... I didn't mean to start off a huge debate.  I just want to give a loving home to a cat similar to Tig ... who was perfectly happy, safe and loved here for 10 years.  I don't particularly want my cat to wander but accept that it's inevitable that she will.   I wanted to show that I have considered this and the neighbourhood is safe for her to do this in.  All my neighbours know me well and would know that she was my cat ... they would all look out for her when I can't.  Like I said previously, I could easily have lied and said I am home all day and I would then be a perfect siamese owner.  But I'm not'perfect' ... who is?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 21:18:15 PM »
Given Smidgen's fan base in the neighbourhood, I should keep him indoors if I wanted him safe from theft, but don't because he would be desperately unhappy restricted in that way, and the back garden does not lend itself to enclosure (low - 4 foot - masonry walls etc).

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 21:16:36 PM »
Because I am out is why I want a confident cat, who I know will go and find the company she needs when we are not there.

That bit is key as far as I can tell - Max is saying she knows the cat will seek attention from people (presumably her neighbours) when she's at work, and that's OK. I tend to agree with BC, it's all down to how to how you interpret what you read.

I also agree with Sharon - anyone who has a pretty cat may get worried that someone will take a liking to their puss.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 21:10:51 PM »
Good point MM, but isnt that a chance we all take when we take on a nice puss cat let alone a pedigree? Some breeds are obv more sought after then others, but still wouldnt make me keep a cat indoors just becuase it might get stolen.. I would hope to think that the neighbourhood Max lives in is honest!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 20:32:53 PM »
Having a pretty/eyecatching friendly cat wandering about at will is asking for trouble, the pain people go through when their pets go missing is horrible it just seems crazy to open it up further.

I always think of the kitten lottie posted about who was cut out of her run, people go to great lengths to take whats worth money and her owners would have believed their set up to be lovely and safe for their pride and joy only for some  :censored: to cut their way through 2 layers of wire.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 20:22:28 PM »
with all due respect MM, I think that either interpretation is appropriate ... I would not be inclined to take the view that Max is planning to encourage this behaviour, but simply accepts it may be an option the cat would choose. However, it has been my experience that any cat is perfectly happy to have time alone, no matter how affectionate they are when you are there with them ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 20:14:00 PM »
I dont get why you would want a cat as a pet but want it to go looking elsewhere to get attention whilst your out 

I don't think Max is saying she wants the cat to go looking elsewhere, just that she knows it's likely to and accepts it as part of the cats personality. ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 19:38:11 PM »
I dont get why you would want a cat as a pet but want it to go looking elsewhere to get attention whilst your out 

I don't think Max is saying she wants the cat to go looking elsewhere, just that she knows it's likely to and accepts it as part of the cats personality. ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 19:14:11 PM »
I dont get why you would want a cat as a pet but want it to go looking elsewhere to get attention whilst your out   :-:  Surely offering a home is offering everything that the particular cat needs/wants  :shy:
Could easily wander into the wrong hands or you problems with inappropiate foods being given that causes stomach issues,people that feed cats milk and ham wont believe its wrong and are not easily stopped  :tired:
A high percent of siamese live happily indoors as many breeders stipulate it these days.

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 10:48:16 AM »
I know this may sound bad, but in my experience with Siamese i dont see a huge problem with rehoming a cat with someone who works during the day.. Siamese are truly no different from the usual moggy at all, they may be alot noiser much more companable and human orientated but routine is everything.. Just because they are siamese doesnt precude them from being a animal that we call independant as thats why we love cats so much due to their independant nature...

As long as the cat didnt have any health issues, whats wrong with rehoming any pedigree cat with someone who works routine  9 to 5(and i may add not every single hour of the day or night because then what is the point of having an cat or any kind of animal). Outside access yes very important...Okay we wouldnt rehome a kitten to someone who works during the day, but adult cats?>

Siamese are no different from any other moggie, and they have been around for a few year hundred years and everybody has been working for several more hundred years, so i dont understand why things are now different..

Still, very opinionated stance here and i realise that Siamese rescue do alot of work for rescue siamese, indeed they took an FIP Siamese a few mohths ago Mia Mia that was due to be PTS. So now qualms about work at all, i just want to voice MY opinion here.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
you can't really win, I had too many cats!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 20:38:38 PM »
try this link here, there seem to be a variety of organisations providing rescue opportunities for the breed. When you hit a brick wall in one place, it is well worth trying others where you may get a more receptive response

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/pedigree.html

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 20:26:51 PM »
Thanks Caledonia, unfortunately the Siamese Cat Welfare do not agree and have said they will not rehome a single cat to us.  We might not be 'perfect', but we do offer a loving home with great neighbours with the added bonus of giving the rescue the opportunity to free up a space to help a cat in a FAR worse position than living with us.

I must admit I find this a little frustrating - we would much rather take a rescue cat, but if no one will let us have one because we work, then what alternative will we have other than buy a cat.  Then we will still have a cat, and the cat we could have adopted will still be stuck without a forever home - it just doesn't seem right to impose such blanket rules.  Also, I have been completely honest and open, but I could easily have lied and said I was home all day, and then got the cat.  But that just isn't me - I am trying to do the right thing, but it is frustrating.

Sorry to dump all that - when everyone on here has been really helpful.  I think it is just a case of finding the right cat in the right rescue - hopefully here's the place I will hear about it.

I keep looking at Fawn's photo.  We are away this weekend on a camping trip, but if she is still available next week, we will definitely call.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 17:41:33 PM »
I hope you find what your looking for soon - it can behard looking for the right cat.

I agree about Siamese/Orientals being quite fine if left alone druing the day - maybe I was lucky with Bertie but he was an indoor cat who did not tolerate other cats. He was fine on his own all day and when my brother (who lived with me at the time) was off during uni holidays he confirmed that all Bertie did all day was lolll in the living room window and sleep - which put my mind at ease. bertie was very content and mush less demanding than Mr Edgar - my boisterous Ragdoll!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 15:15:24 PM »
Thank you - I hadn't thought about a reference from the Vets.  But this is something we could easily obtain.

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 15:05:48 PM »
Because we are part of CP when Melissa was homed i got the local CP to do homecheck and i also asked for vet reference. Not sure if Siamese rescue would be able to go along with that..

The rescue that Fawn is with is very small, and if they tell you about HCs etc then mention that you could give vet references etc.. The very fact aht you are experience siamese owners should be something they consider.. But smaller rescues sadly dont have the resources to home out their local area.

Melissa was a very nervous Siamese but travelled well, but as you say not alwasy the case.. Feliaway spray does help though.

Good luck and also try the pedigree listings on Catchat..

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 14:52:20 PM »
Thanks Sharon, that's reassuring to know. 

My last cat was a poor traveller and got very stressed even on the shortest journey to the vet.  Both times when we moved homes and faced journeys of an hour and an hour and a half she cried out pitifully for the whole journey.  It was extremely stressful for her (and us!).  We always said that if we moved again, we would have spoken to the vet about a sedative because she really was so stressed.  Mad thing was she loved getting into cars - and we even tried driving her round the block not in her basket to see if it was the confinement rather than the journey, but you still couldn't get farther than the end of the street before she would start howling!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 14:54:19 PM by Max »

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 14:33:45 PM »
Have to say Max only a few weeks ago i rehomed a Siamese (Melissa if you can find the thread) to a lovely lady in Loughborough, that was over 3 1/2 hour journey from Kent and she has not got a lovely home..

Unless a poor traveller i dont see distance being an issue with cats that are okay, just water, lots of talking to and fo course enough ventilation.. Many cats just go to sleep!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
The overweight cat is female - but as you've mentioned your neighbours would kybosh any dieting you tried to maintain!

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
I'm going to sound really fussy now - but these are all boys and we do want a girl.

We will ring about Fawn - though she is quite a distance from us, and we wonder if it's fair to put her though a 2 and a half hour journey if she is a timid cat, but we'll be guided by what the rescue says.

We've tried the Siamese Cat Club Welfare, but the cats on their pages that we are interested in are down in Bromley and they said they couldn't homecheck so far away, also wouldn't let a single cat go to people who were out all day.  We are willing to take a pair of cats, but the ones we've seen are all singles.

Our experience is as Blackcat describes, that these cats form a special bond with their owners.  However anyone's company will do if they we are not around, hence why I would always let them have their freedom.  It wouldn't be right to keep them as indoor cats.  Because I am out is why I want a confident cat, who I know will go and find the company she needs when we are not there.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:28:01 PM by Max »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
Funny, Sam! I went on a rep site I use and the c.hoc.olate  point was in the rehoming section so I PM'd the contact details to Max. :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:14:22 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
There is chocolate point boy free to a good home here:
http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1031480176/b1819c65.html

Have you had a look at the SIAMESE CAT CLUB WELFARE TRUST & BALINESE CAT SOCIETY pages on catchat 

http://www.catchat.org/sccwt/cgibin/prtoc.cgi

Also check out the "breed specific" rescues http://www.catchat.org/adoption/pedigree.html

Some orientals here need a home:  http://www.oca-cats.org.uk/cat_welfare.php 

Black Oriental Shorthair
a lovely boy who could maybe live with one other cat or in a single cat home. for more information phone Pauline Crawshaw for more details 0114 272 5318 or mobile 07773817445
situated in Sheffied

or try these guys

http://www.siameserescue.co.uk/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:49:29 AM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
I have had many siamese/orientals, burmese and abyssinians over the years and they really don't need human company all day long - mine have never had it and apart from Pavarotti, they have all be well-adjusted happy cats. While they do form a special bond with their owners, they are not so totally people dependent that they suffer from being at home while their carers are at work.

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »
Good point Millysmum! However, i think in Fawns case it wouldnt be so much of an issue as she has been used to people being out at work during the day.. and is abit of a nervous siamese.

So what about these two FRED & MAX who ARE STILL IN RESCUE after nearly 9 months and they are not even old (app 5yrs old).. Unbelievable.. Bengal cross, everything proof but need a rural home... I find it hard to believe that they are still with this rescue... They have to go as a pair and the rescue is now saying they will rehome anywhere in the UK!!!! Sounds to me like a match..

http://www.catchat.org/topcats/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=5&MMN_position=8:8
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:38:53 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 21:08:16 PM »
Is leaving a cat of a breed who are well known for loving human companionship, alone allday with free access a good idea  :shy:
Its something to consider as a cat who wants company and doesnt get it will look elsewhere for what they want/need.

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 19:38:31 PM »
Hello Max
Welcome to Purrs.
Cats in Crisis in Kent (not far from me Canterbury) have  2yr old Siamese called Fawn who needs to be rehomed to someone with Siamese experience.

Folkestone CP have a young Bengal who also needs to be rehomed with someone who has experience of oriental breeds. Both need to be only cats. The Bengal Maia has been with them for a while and so has Fawn from the other rescues.

You can find listings for both on Catchat Kent (east) pages. Being a lover of Siamese myself i know what it feels like not to have such noisy puss cats around.

Best of luck!

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 19:32:41 PM »
I wouldn't say an outright no.  However, bearing in mind that we are both out all day, it would make it difficult to monitor and regulate any diet.  I know full well that our previous cat would eat at neighbours houses (and it would be no good me telling them not to feed her - I know they wouldn't take any notice!).

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 19:22:43 PM »
Maxine,

Would you be prepared to take on an oriental with a weight issue? I know it's an odd question!

Offline Max

• Adult Cat
We would like to offer a loving home to a female Siamese/oriental type cat.  We are experienced Siamese owners having had a tabby-point Siamese who shared our home (and bed!) for 10 years.  My Mum and Dad also have a Siamese.  We have been on our own for a year now and we are getting lonely without a vocal puss to talk to and boss us around!  We would prefer a younger cat (though not a kitten), as even though we know you could get many years of companionship from a oldie, we don’t want to put ourselves through all that heartache again too quickly.

There are just the two of us, we don’t have children and no children visit either.  Also, no other pets.  We both work full time, although my hubbie has some days where he skives off – oops I mean works from home!  But we live in a house in a lovely quiet neighbourhood, where there are lots of retired people at home all day who love to say hello and give fuss.  We would not want to keep an indoor cat, and have a cat flap so our friend would be free to wander as much or little as she liked – except at night when we would like to make sure she is kept in safe!  We have a small garden which is very safe.

We live in Northampton, but are prepared to travel any distance for the right cat.  The right cat for us is an outgoing vocal lady, who loves fuss and sitting on laps, a bossy girl who would like to be the only cat in the household.  We have not been home checked, but are perfectly willing for anyone to visit, and we can show you lots of pictures of Tiggy and you will see how much she was loved and looked after.

We can be contacted via this forum, or PM – we have also passed our contact details to the administrators.

Thank you for reading this.  We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Maxine

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:31:55 AM by Max »

Link to CatChat