Author Topic: Essex home needs lazy, soppy cat - up to 15 years considered (Uknown Outcome)  (Read 8777 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Presumably this is sorted now so will move and lock    :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Essex home needs lazy, soppy cat - up to 15 years considered
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 15:21:12 PM »
Hi Nicola,

I'm sure there are loads of cats in the Essex area who would answer to your description.  Many cats are branded as not good with dogs or children but often they have never associated with either.  In my experience dogs and cats get on fine together unless the dog is one of the more aggressive terrier breeds or fighting breeds. In fact, it is usually the cats who rule the roost.  If you buy a gundog breed (loads to choose from....) I don't think you will have any trouble at all.  And at the moment you don't possess a dog so who knows what will pan out in the future.

Historically, I always had dogs until my hubs bought me my first cat.  And then I couldn't imagine how I'd ever lived my life without one!!  But this was a complete surprise.  It was not something I had been pining for...(it would have been if I'd known how smitten I was gonna be).  So the dogs just had to come to terms with their new friend.  Well, within an hour the kitten was snuggled up with both of them and trying to suckle one!  That was some years ago now and Emma was my beautiful and incredibly gentle English Setter who became a sort of surrogate mum...and seemed to love it!  She passed away seven years ago but all my dogs and cats have got on famously and still do...

I know many other peeps on Purrs have both cats and dogs...and children..and experience zero problems.  I wouldn't mention your future ideas when visiting the shelters but wait and see which one of the little babes captures your heart.  And take it from there....  :Luv:

There is definitely a little sweetheart in one of those centres waiting for a visit from you.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Roz

P.S. Whereabouts in Essex are you? Have you tried the Pussycat Lodge near Brentwood?  Jenny runs it and is a lovely person.  Here's a little excerpt from her website which I think is just delightful:

'When things just get too much Jennie reminds herself of a Christmas when a little feral cat from a pen roof, too frightened to venture into the house previously, was waiting for her on Christmas morning under the tree playing with a fir cone, a sight as welcome as any Christmas present. It's moments like that that make it all worthwhile.'

http://www.pussycatlodge.co.uk/

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 20:22:49 PM by Roz »
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »

Sharon took a call about a pure white senior cat that is deaf and has been abandoned. A man is looking after her temporarily after taking her to the vet. We could probably get a photo on Friday if you are interested.

This is the one that nobody was in when we got to the house after arranging to go over. People are so annoying we try to help the cats but people are selfish and ignorant.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 18:12:45 PM »
The grey looks like it has a deformed shoulder at that angle! Horrible floor its walking on  :sick:

Hope the white cat is ok :wish:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 14:16:03 PM »

Sharon took a call about a pure white senior cat that is deaf and has been abandoned. A man is looking after her temporarily after taking her to the vet. We could probably get a photo on Friday if you are interested.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 17:11:49 PM »
These 2 come as a pair - one of them has just had an ear removed as she had a cauliflower ear  :( - she is fine now  :Luv2:

The grey is gorgeous but they won't separate her from her friend.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 17:12:28 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 17:10:40 PM »
I went to Rhodes Minnis sanctuary open day today. They have a lot of older cats. Some needing meds and some needing special diet and others just getting on a bit. There was a lovely black & white - it said on her form that she wasn't suitable for younger children but she was showing off for everyone, kids included and loved the attention. There were also some other lovely oldies. I mistakenly started taking photos of boarders until someone pointed it out to me  :-[

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
Hi Nicola,

I don't know much about rescues in Essex as I am in Kent. I know my mum ended up with a totally unsuitable cat from CP in Essex - she asked for a companion lap cat but ended up with a skittish one that isn't that friendly with her and won't sit on her lap. After 2 years, she obviously wouldn't part with her but I know she is disappointed as she made a point of asking for a friendly laid back cat after my dad dying as she wanted company.

I know Millysmum is Essex based so she might have a better idea. If you didn't mind travelling, there are plenty of rescues in Kent. I am a volunteer with Canterbury CP.

I don't think it does anyone any favours, least of all the cat if owner & cat don't suit each other.

Like any other place, there are some idiots working in rescue but the cats shouldn't have to suffer because of it. I know Bryony had loads of trouble with officious staff at an RSPCA centre but put up with it to get her 2 kits.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:51:23 AM by Mark »

Offline nicolawilson

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 21:29:06 PM »
I would consider a pair but am actually a bit upset with this centre as had been in e mail contact and told that there were some suitable cats there but drove all the way there and none suitable  As per my criteria I would like to have a dog and children in the future and there were none where this was possible.

Am getting a bit down with my search as keep being disappointed and getting hopes up unnecessarily

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »
Hi Nikki,

Would you consider a pair? - these lovely 12 year old friends are being overlooked  :(

http://www.catchat.org/danaher/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2008051102

Or lovely 3 legged Elvis  :Luv2:
http://www.catchat.org/danaher/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2008052701

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:30:54 AM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 14:09:29 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Nicola.  There are a few rescue members on here quite local to you, so fingers crossed.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline nicolawilson

• Kitten
I'm looking to adopt a cat - its taking forever to go to individual sites. Have had a recent let down on one I really liked so can home immediately!

Criteria:

- Easy going
-Likes a laze around most of the day and a stroke and some fuss for an hour or 2 in the evening
-Not indoor only but not a wanderer (am not on a busy road but not far)
-Potential to live with children, dogs and cats (I have none now but would like all in the future)
-pref aged under 12 but up to 15 considered

Do you know this cat?

If so please contact me at nicolawilsonhome[at]aol.com 
Nikki
 :welcome:

Nikki, I've modified your post to protect your email address - folks can still see what it is!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 16:35:25 PM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat