Author Topic: Whatever do they put in kitten food!!  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Whatever do they put in kitten food!!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 21:53:25 PM »
Mine seem to drink quite a bit of water, dont know if thats just because they are young, and its normally aftre they have run around like loons. I bought the PAH kitten complete today to try then on. As this is a completely dry diet should I be feeding them a wet pouch occasionally as well?

Id feed kittens of your size 3 wet meals a day with dry left down to eat as they wish unless they are piggies and gobble everything in sight. Eating purely dry isnt good for them.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 21:18:21 PM »
my baby Indy gets Felix kitten food in jelly and Go Cat dry kitten food and every once in a while I sprinkle ground charcoal on his meals (1/4 teaspoon as per vets instructions, roughly once every 2 days) and it has reduced his pongy poos... they were foul now just fairly neutral

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 13:35:01 PM »
You want to try Bengal poop  :sick: - I dug the garden on Sunday and Zebedee did his toilet . Hell fire it was a good job it was outside, even in the fresh air I nearly keeled over  :sick: :sick: :sick:.

Bless that Bengal Boy of mine  :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 13:30:31 PM »
With the whiskers dry I've been using I've been told you can mix water in with it to make it more palatable. I didn't try it as I thought it would just be a soggy mess. Has anyone else tried this?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 13:26:51 PM »
Mine seem to drink quite a bit of water, dont know if thats just because they are young, and its normally aftre they have run around like loons. I bought the PAH kitten complete today to try then on. As this is a completely dry diet should I be feeding them a wet pouch occasionally as well?

I feed the boys PAH dry but I'm not happy feeding them 100% dry diet so I feed 1/2 dry and 1/2 wet.  I think it's also nice for them to have some variation between wet and dry.

Top tip:  If they like the PAH dry then just buy a small bag for now, they usually have a special offer on around the Bank Holidays - BOGOF or 2 for £10 etc so it's worth waiting for the Bank Holidays to stock up.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 13:14:53 PM »
I have never bought kitten food as I have never had kitten but I assume it's in gravy? - the gravy foods are  higher carbs. Someone more experienced could maybe confirm but if they are being fed a good quality dry kitten food, could they be fed a regular adult food in jelly as it's lower carb than in gravy - just a thought.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 17:05:27 PM »
Its good to mix over the food gradually so start the PAH before whiskas run out  ;)

As mark says the ingredients are poor and this is what creates the pong, my lot have less stinky poos on better food and cats fed a raw diet are even better. They digest it all unlike the stinky carbs  :sick:

IMO a dry diet isnt natural, convenient and good on the wallet but not great for cats. Cats need water and they never drink enough on a dry diet. Concentrated urine often leads to bladder problems  :(

Cats shouldnt have crystals in their urine but vets consider it normal for them to have a few small ones due to modern diet. Something wrong there!!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 14:31:36 PM »
We used to have the same problem on Kitten felix,

Milo might be small, dainty and adorable but he is the smelliest cat in the world  :sick: :sick: :sick: I am glad that his finally starting adult food.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »
I looked at those. I want to get them on PAH kitten complete asap. Just waiting for the Whiskers to run out first. Ideally I'd like to get them on dry and nothing else apart from the odd pouch.....but they dont seem keen on dry.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 08:31:46 AM »
You could try changing the dry for a better quality one. Whiskas and Go-cat dry are really poor quality and mainly cereals, artificial colouring etc. Most of the better dry foods as well as being much better nutritionally, have things like Yukka extract to reduce stool odour.
Pets at Home own brand dry is very good quality - and it's on offer at the moment  :) (not the one with orange printing, it's the silver bags)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:19:22 AM »
They share a pouch of whiskers kitten in the morning and another in the evening. Then they have a portion of dry whiskers kitten out all day. Just wish whiskers also made a 'after dinner freshner' as well!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 18:26:30 PM »
Are you using the tinned supermeat kitten meat? Thats richer than the pouches, what dry are they having?

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 17:36:29 PM »
Yep Whiskas and Felix both leave smelly after poos smells.

Get some Simple Solution litter odour remover and spray it over the litter once you've cleaned it. It does help  ;)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 16:57:59 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Felix has the same effect on mine! :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 13:13:36 PM »
whiskas kitten food made mosi fart for england and do smelly poos, so I'd guess it's the whiskas!  Try a different brand  ;D

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
Whatever do they put in kitten food!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 13:03:59 PM »
Since moving my two onto a whiskers kitten diet their numbers 2's have been 'lingering' even when removed. Must be something in the mixture! Anyway can anyone recommend some 'safe' air fresheners sprays, plugins or blocks that I can use?

Link to CatChat