Author Topic: Introducing a new cat to existing pets (not cats)  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: PLEASE LOCK
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 21:59:13 PM »
Thread has now been locked at posters request.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 22:07:20 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline Jayms_fallen_angel

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
Re: Introducing a new cat to existing pets (not cats)
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 21:56:09 PM »
That is exactly what I'm saying Jennifer. Sincemy bunnies have already proven themselves with other animals I am more concerned about the cat as the cat hasn't proven anything to me and for all I know a cat may well go "ZOMG FLOPPY THINGS ARE ATTACKING!!!!!!" Ind lash out when the buns come to see what this new visitor is. If my buns had ever shown any sign of agression I would not be getting a cat. But the fact is they've hadAlsation noses poked in their faces, cat noses, and have even beenlicked by a dog which Destiny was not impressed with but never lashed outat. They've played with Chinchillas hopping all around the room. They've had gerbils on their back. Hell when Destiny and charm were at happy hoppers when they were being bonded (where destiny came from) there were two or three house cats there. who were frequently in the room the buns were in. As when I went to collect them they came out of that room to see the new visitor. Hence why I am not worried. They've already proven themselves. [..]

To answer the question, some of these animals they've only met in the vets, but the alsation, staffy, gerbil and chinchillas are all from my mums house and when I was made temporarily homeless they came with me to live there and were fine with all of them. Plus they're fine with guinea pigs as they live with them and have done ever since I got them (in seperate cages of course, butthey do still play together under full supervision) as will my cat. I'm not foolish, I know animals can do a lot of harm to each other. So they will not be left un supervised. I was just wondering how to introduce them to begin with, so we can all settle down to watch films together and enjoy each others company.

But as only a few people seem to want to help me (Thank you to those of you that are trying) while others just want to fling hurtful and false accusations at me I think I'll try to do it bymyself and forget that I actually joined this site. I'll just get my sister to help me with any problems. If we can introduce a staffy and alsation to rabbits, gerbils, birds, hamsters, chinchillas, and guinea pigs, I'm pretty sure I can get her to give me some advice on introducing a catto rabbits.

Edited by moderator
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 22:40:45 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »
I am looking to adopt a cat/kitten in Sheffield.

Offline Jennifer

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 14:29:55 PM »
I understand.
I'm just cautious about forming such assumptions based on a few sentences - it seems to me that it's not that she isn't concerned for the cat, but that the bunnies have proven themselves to be friendly to different species which is why she's more concerned about a cat attacking them. If a rabbit can handle gerbils and German Shepherds (which usually are sweethearts, but certainly big enough for a rabbit to go on the defensive if it was going to!) I'd say there's a pretty enormous chance that they'll figure out how to handle a cat without killing it. :)

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 14:16:44 PM »
Its not that Im saying this will never work, I have cats and rabbits myself although they are outdoor, this would not be so cosy if they were indoor.

This person is just bothered about the damage the cat could cause and wont even have a thought about what the rabbits could do, in the end who would have to go!  :shy:

Offline Jennifer

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 13:38:29 PM »
When I was a kid my parents introduced two new rabbits to our cat by letting them all run around the garden. It was an enclosed garden, so a large penned area, or just the inside of your house would work as well. The rabbits were bigger than the cat but it never occured to us that they might hurt Kit - and they never did. There was never any fighting or intimidation and Kitty was very wary of these big hoppy things in her garden - I have about three dozen photographs of her trying to walk away from them while they followed her about!
They weren't friends but they did get along.

In your case, I think I will (unlike others) accept your word that they're fine with other animals. I will however ask, have they lived with these animals, or were they visitors? I also ask you to remember that animals react differently to individuals and it's possible that they won't like the cat. It's also quite possible that if they're introduced too quickly or left alone too early, the cat may get too close to the bunnies and a fight MAY break out - no matter who starts it - which would be a terrible set back in the introductions.

Use your common sense, basically, don't leave them in a room alone together for a couple of weeks and try to take notice of any areas which are being protected by either animal - like corners they particularly like or something. The rabbits may be unimpressed with the cat intruding and the cat may be unimpressed with hoppy things interrupting nap time!

ccmacey

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 13:22:03 PM »
I would keep them penned and let them out only when I was in the room.

Erm did you miss this?

Quite frankly I dont really see any consern for the cat to be in this situation, your only conserned about what the cat will do to your rabbits. I cant see it working when your rabbits are already in controll of their stiuation, they will not like an intruder, especially one that may harm them.

Rabbits may seem docile to humans but when they feel threatened they will stand up for themselves. I dont really know why you want a cat if your so conserned about the harm it may cause to your existing pets.

And what happens to the cat if the rabbits dont accept it? Passed on to another home?

I can understand why you would want a cat but dont understand why you would want to put your animals in this situation. Meaning the rabbits and cat.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 07:08:41 AM »
Here is an article by a rabbit person

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

Also from perfect paws
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

I think it's the same as introducing cats to other cats. Take your time and do it at the animals pace, not yours. If you do too much, too soon, it will take ages to get back their confidence.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:36 AM »
you do realize that you've not actually touched the question at hand right? And this is not YOUR cat nor a bloody pigeon. If you're not even going to try to help could you stop trying to scare me? It's not going to work.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:20:06 AM by Jayms_fallen_angel »

ccmacey

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 03:03:46 AM »
Cats would not be intimidated by anything that showed fear of them. If the cat is a natural hunter this would make a difference. I have seen my cat bring pigeons over a 6foot fence with no bother, and they are quite large.

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 02:44:34 AM »
See if my rabbits were smaller I'd kind of believe that, but as my rabbits are larger than cats... Not really seeing that the cat will want to take them on.

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 02:42:01 AM »
You also have a big problem if the cat is a hunter. It will hunt the rabbits every time they are together.

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 02:35:03 AM »
My buns have been around everything from gerbils to alsations. They're fine.
They're french lops.

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 02:27:18 AM »
Have your bunns been around a cat?

I would keep them penned and let them out only when I was in the room.

What breed are the rabbits?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:28:18 AM by CC's Purry Furies »

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 02:25:21 AM »
Ok, how many ways do I have to say it? I'm getting pretty fed up now as I've already said it at least three times.
MY BUNNIES WILL NOT ATTACK A CAT!
The question is how do I introduce the cat without the cat hurting them.

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »
Do you know anyone with a cat? You could ask them to bring their cat around to see how the bunns react. I think this would be better than just getting a cat and it not working out, but maybe it will.

I know my cats and bunns could never live together in the house as my male attacks them and also my female has started doing it too.

Rabbits can be very territorial when something comes into their space, if my cats go into the rabbit pen or even if they are out in the garden with my male rabbit they will get bitten. He will even go as far as to chase them into the house, so in effect he is chasing them out of "his" space. Although my rabbits are fine with me and never bite me.

Could cause pandamonium really with them being house rabbits and leave you very stressed.  :shy:

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 22:24:23 PM »
Ok so the cat I may be getting is 8 years old and a male.

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:08:15 AM »
Hmmm having been on the reciving end of a bunnies teeth and their hind legs I'd have to say teeth hurt a lot more. But even so, Charm only uses his hind legs to fend off syringes and run. Desty doesn't even kick out much when she's wandering around. So I think the cat would be safe from that too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 22:46:55 PM »
Rabbits do more harm with their back feet, my old neighbours bunny did very nasty damage to a cat  :(

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 20:38:44 PM »
Yeah. I wouldn't even be thinking of getting a cat unless I knew my bunnies well enough. They're both really calm, laid back and friendly. Charm does Lunge forwards a lot whenever new critters arrive...and people. And people may think that it's an aggressive move but knowing him like I do, it's because he's really excited to see a new face and investigate whether it's someone to fuss him or not. Even when he was territorial he never hurt anyone, just lunged forwards and grunted then backed off if you didn't move. Destiny is different. She will nosey but she's very independant. If it's not food she'll likely get bored and go play until they develop an understanding.

When taking them to the vet they've been face to face with cats and dogs and never been even remotely bothered. Even when the dogs (huge things like German Shepards) come and stick their noses through the carrier. Never been phased. And if for a moment they had then I would have serious doubts about getting a cat and not be here.  Also Charm has no front teeth so even if he did go completely out of character and try to hurt the cat, with his short claws and no front teeth the worst he could do is stand on it. Maybe a little scratch. Destiny does have teeth but I can't see her using them unless she's attacked first.

I hope that alieviates some doubts ^_^

I can remain calm. And hopefully will know when a cat is actually being aggressive as opposed to just posturing.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 20:20:43 PM »
Kittens, as in cute little furry ones, are a nightmare. A younger cat is possibly a good idea, but a geriatric cat will also be an option in your situation. The younger cat will learn its place in the household, the older one will not have the drive to assert itself (this ia gross generalisation, BTW). I have introduced a cat into a household where a dog was known to aggressive toward cats (like killer aggressive) and this was done with extreme care with a barrier between the dog and the cat until peace was achieved. I have also introduced a puppy into a house where the cats were in charge, and as far as Shadow is concerned, they still are, except when it comes to his food and toys (though they have been known to score in both those areas as wel  :evillaugh:

You need to know your existing animals strengths and weaknesses well, and rabbits can be quite agressive, so the kitten could be in danger from the large rabbits, especially if it is a small kitten. You will also need to be able to think like you are a dog, rabbit or cat, so you can work out what is prompting whatever response you are getting (positive or negative).

Last of all, you need to be calm at all times, even when they seem to be about to tear each other apart, and to be able to judge a real threat from an attempt at intimidation.

Good luck and I am sure it will work if you keep at it and choose the right cat for your situation.

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 20:11:21 PM »
As are children but children still learn faster than adults.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 19:16:24 PM »
I'm looking to adopt a cat so I don't know how old it will be although I'm thinking kitten as they're easier to train...

Ha ha dont assume it. Kittens are stubborn and do what they want when they want.

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 21:00:53 PM »
I'm looking to adopt a cat so I don't know how old it will be although I'm thinking kitten as they're easier to train...

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 13:18:08 PM »
How do you introduce a new cat to existing pets...specifically giant bunnies the size of fully grown cats and small dogs. Without the cat and the bunnies both coming out in scars.

I don't know myself, but to help the experts advise you, how old is the prospective cat?  Edited to add: Ah, I've been reading posts and I see you are looking to adopt one  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 13:32:12 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
Introducing a new cat to existing pets (not cats)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:03:39 AM »

Edited by moderator: poster has requested this thread be locked. Comments on this first post have been removed in accordance with forum guidelines.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 22:19:28 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Link to CatChat