Author Topic: Whats the difference with Hills diet food?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Whats the difference with Hills diet food?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 17:22:38 PM »
I think m/d is metabolic diet  :-:

Im going to investigate a/d as it will bug me everytime i see a tin  :innocent:

Dental bix are not much good imo, carbs create sugars which creates plaque. The best thing for mouths is a natural diet they chew(or gum in some cases) this creates saliva which is the mouths natural cleaning system.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 17:26:04 PM by Millys Mum »

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 22:56:07 PM »
You know MM I was going to say that about his lack of teeth but internet not working lol

I just thought it may be good for keeping his gums clean. Ollie doesnt eat dry anyway so this would obviously be pointless. The vet has said just to feed him as I am, which is Gourmet Pearl, felix as good and sometimes Whiskers.

He did start to eat the dentabits but dosnt anymore.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 21:31:17 PM »
When Rolo had his dental, the vets had some samples left from dental month, and kindly let me have some, with the comment 'he wont need it' - guess which was the only dry food he would eat for a couple of weeks after his dental? I even went as far as getting all 4 JWB flavours.

Never thought of that one MM, I also have yet to figure out what a/d is, as it is for hepatic lipidosis and convalescing, neither beginning with an a. I think their diabetes one is M/d, which again doens't make sense.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 18:38:14 PM »
No good for Ollie cos he has no teeth  :rofl:

A good quality diet helps no end with mouths, which is the basis for the classic reccomendation as it has no colourants etc in it. Go cat and supermarket foods are bad for healthy cats let alone ones with existing problems.

Each one is for a different illlness/condition, most of them make sense, but there are the odd few that dont.

Yeah like z/d which is hypoallergenic for allergies, z meaning what  :-: (probably something really obvious lol)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 13:18:54 PM »
the t/d is the dental formula.  It has a larger kibble.  I tried Jaffa with it once and was very unimpressed with the ingredients.  He swallowed them whole anyway   :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »
The D stands for diet

J/D = Joint Diet
K/D = Kidney diet

etc

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »
T/D is their dental diet, you do have to watch it for putting weight on though as it is high calorie. Each one is for a different illlness/condition, most of them make sense, but there are the odd few that dont. There is a wet food recommended for gingivitis, it is Classic Cat food, which I have seen in morrisons, Tesco and Wilkinsons.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:00:29 AM »
You could try ringing Hills helpline on 0800 282 438 and they should be able to advise you on which diet's suitable for Ollie if you tell them what's wrong. They do have a bewildering no of foods. The D stands for diet I think.

ccmacey

Whats the difference with Hills diet food?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:39:16 AM »
I have been looking for some food to help with Ollie's condition and I have came across a web page that said Hills T/D food is high calorie and also suggested feeding this to cats with Gingivitus.

When I looked on VetUK there are loads of different Hills foods, all with a letter /D. What do they all mean?

Link to CatChat