Author Topic: Herbal Essences is tested on animals!  (Read 10127 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Herbal Essences is tested on animals!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 17:58:23 PM »
I knew that because I noticed Protor and Gamble made it - one of the main culprits for animal testing. Before I realsied I used it a few times but wasn't impressed with it anyway. My hair gets greasy pretty quickly and this stuff didn't wash it that well!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 01:58:48 AM »
Never used this :censored: and dont intend to now >:(

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »
How can these people test such needless things on animals  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 08:18:16 AM »
And it's all so needless - how many more shampoos do we need on the market?

I remember when I first became aware of this when I started work in 1979 - someone had painted "Revlon blinds rabbits" outside their offices in the West End. You would have thought things would have moved on by now - It just shows what evil there is in the world.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 17:55:19 PM »
Just breaks my heart thinking of these poor animals  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 17:43:59 PM »
co-op own brand is a good one.

Also, it's hard trying to find things that are Cruelty Free, Eco Friendly, Actually work and not mega expensive. There is a washing up liquid called clear spring or something but it's about £3 a bottle  :Crazy:

Ecover isn't animal friendly.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 16:40:10 PM »
http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/companies.php?cat=*14

That should show the companies that are cruelty Free.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »
Rather than telling us what not to buy – could we please be supplied with a list of what we can buy?

I stopped buying Head and Shoulders and moved on to Herbal Essence – oh dear

There is nothing on the labels that states “we test our products on animals” obviously or it would have a big decline in their sales.

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 23:25:35 PM »
To tell the truth if something was sitting in front of me that I could clearly see it was not tested on animals, I would buy it. Its the problem of being confused by so many products, having kids to controll and a time limit.

I also need washing powder thats ok for the kids as they have sensitive skin too.

I really dont see the point in testing on animals, they wont have the same reactions as humans so how do they know what the outcome would be.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 22:52:21 PM »
Have you tried ecover powders/liquids or the oxygen balls? They are well reccomended for sensitive people

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 22:45:54 PM »
Here's a link that lists websites in the UK that sell non-animal tested products:

http://www.ukanimalrights.net/merch.php

There is a cruelty-free alternative to virtually any product you can think of nowadays and I always steer away from the big name brands in favour of non-tested goods. You can usually find these alternatives fairly easily, if not in shops, then online.

CC and Milly's mum: I have problems with eczema on my scalp and face and have tried various remedies but the one that works for me is the 'Barefoot Botanicals' range. I use the shampoo and skin cream and they keep the eczema at bay.  :)
Their website is:
http://www.barefoot-botanicals.com/

Dee

Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 22:26:23 PM »
There's a really cheap brand called Easy that does non biological wash powder that smells of aloe vera and is great - I sometimes have trouble with wash powders but haven't with this and we've been using it a few years now. (Not to mention their multi purpose cleaner, washing up liquid, fabric softener....)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 17:26:44 PM »
CC theres loads of non bio washing powder brands  ;D

Have you tried the eco ranges that they all sell now? The washing up liquid is good,i have sensitive skin too

Me and cc have the same sensitive skins....believe me we have tried the lot and nothing apart from the unmentionable does the trick!  :(

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »
I had no idea about the shampoo, I just finished a bottle yesterday and had to go to the grocery store and I made sure to find something else.

It helped that I was on the bargain hunt and found new shampoo to try.

Had no idea about Nestle or Mars either.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »
According to Uncaged, two of the main testing companies are Nestle and Mars - meaning that Felix, Whiskas and a lot of other brands are on the list. I think Iams had the cruellest testing.

MBll

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:37:44 AM »
Hills is another one that test on animals ...its a great favourite of all the vets as they get commission on selling the stuff so they stock tons of it.

Heres a few sites

http://www.buav.org/realchange/game.swf

http://www.buav.org/index.php

http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/

Also remember the body shop that has been bought by loreal & they test on aniamls asweell  so all stuff bought in their shops will be used on animals

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 19:37:48 PM »
CC theres loads of non bio washing powder brands  ;D

Have you tried the eco ranges that they all sell now? The washing up liquid is good,i have sensitive skin too

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 15:50:10 PM »
All co-op branded stuff cleaning/personal stuff is BUAV approved. It's a shame they sell Iams and other P&G stuff. I read that M&S are considering selling rival brands in their stores so will be interesting to see what they decide to sell.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »
Me neither, I boycott all of them, it is easy to find cruelty free products once you know where to look.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:39:55 AM »
I use Head& shoulders but I have to for my eczema. And also have to buy non-bio washing powder so I buy Fairy, and also the Fairy washing up liquid as its ok for my skin. If I knew of other things to try that would be ok for my skin I would use them. Maybe I am P & G friendly  :shify:

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
  • george tink jap connie riley morgan josh perkins
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 22:19:19 PM »
damn right mark, there is so much by P&G! Patene is the one that really kills me, it makes my hair so lovely but i never use it now. Maxfactor makeup is another one. I have the list printed out and on my fridge to make sure we dont by anything by them

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 17:32:59 PM »
Along with anything made by Procter & Gamble. I won't buy any of their products.

Iams
Fairy
Bold
Aerial
Bounty (Kitchen Roll)
Charmin'
Pringles
Head & Shoulders

The list is endless.

iamscruelty.com

I contacted Uncaged recently and asked why they are associated with Twiggy when sheis a judge for America's Next Top model which is sponsored by P&G. He said they are speaking to her and asking her to stop.

This is the email with their answer

Hi Mark

Yeah, it's a bit irritating!

I think the way it works with these programmes is that the sponsorship is a commercial issue organised separately from the actual making of the programme, so she might have participated without being aware of the sponsors.

We're trying to contact her to dissuade her from being associated with P&G-sponsored stuff in future.

Cheers
Dan Lyons

PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS:
Uncaged
5th Floor, Alliance House
9 Leopold Street
Sheffield
S1 2GY
England
(44) (0)114 2722220
www.uncaged.co.uk

Sent: 24 April 2008 12:14
To: info@uncaged.co.uk
Subject: Twiggy

Hi,

I wondered if you would be able to answer a question.

Twiggy is featured on your site as a supporter but she is a judge on America's Next Top Model which is sponsored by P&G.

I'm sure I can't be the only person that has asked this question so I wondered if there was an answer.

Thanks

Mark Brennan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 17:39:08 PM by Mark »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Herbal Essences is tested on animals!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 17:19:33 PM »

Link to CatChat