Author Topic: Allergy to female cats only??  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Allergy to female cats only??
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »
Wish I could!!
Please spay your cat

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 09:52:53 AM »
You're allergic to work Desley - so you should stay home and play with the furbabes  :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 20:00:12 PM »
WEll, my symptoms mustn't be cat related then, as i have a pure black who sleeps in the bed every night, and slept across my throat this morning with no issues. Interestingly, I am worse at work than at home, I can go all weekend with no anti-histamines, but can't manage a full day at work!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 19:10:42 PM »
I have never heard of that but 2 years ago, I had some women staying at the B&B and they asked what colours my cats were as one of them was allergic. She said that black cats cause more reactions. I thought they were talking nonsense so I looked it up and apparently, it's true  :Crazy:

http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/43474.html

Anyway, I told them 2 of my cats are black and they live here so it was up to them  if they wanted to book  :evillaugh:

Just checked and according to this, female cats shed lass than males and neutered males less than entire males.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_allergy

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 14:00:46 PM »
I found this before- http://lundbergsiberians.home.comcast.net/~lundbergsiberians/allergies.html.

Maybe the lady has only come across un neutered females?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
Not something I have heard of before, but it would be interesting to find out if it is true. I have been more irritated by females than males, but it is generally the type of fur they have rather than anything else - Snowy used to irritate me, but she had really odd fur compared to Ginger.
Please spay your cat

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 16:56:09 PM »
No they are very eager to have a cat and I wasn't looking for a reason for preferring a boy - fair do's, we all have our preferences.  This is a genuinely held belief - I'm not looking to criticise her, just for other people's experience.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 16:52:09 PM »
This doesnt sound like the truth to me and reckon they are more like a no cat family!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 16:49:18 PM »
I would invite them to visit some boy cats and watch the kids face swell  :sneaky: people i know who are allergic to cats dont react differently between breeds or sex.
I would think they have another reason for wanting a boy, people have some funny ideas!
'Female cats dont spray' i love putting a dampener on that one  :evillaugh:

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
Allergy to female cats only??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 16:40:20 PM »
A prospective adopter only wishes to consider male cats because she is convinced that her son is only allergic to female cats, as is his maternal aunt. 
A brief internet search tended to suggest the opposite with males producing more Fel D1 and therefore being more allergenic.   Is there anything other than Fel D1 that family members would be likely to be reacting to which would be more prevalent in female cats?  (Obviously any cat for rehoming would be neutered so less allergen anyway.)
I'm not planning on trying to talk her out of having a boy - if she wants a boy she can have a boy - just interested.

Link to CatChat