Author Topic: Help.....just brought our new kitten home  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
Re: Help.....just brought our new kitten home
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 14:23:54 PM »
I agree with a box where she can hide also a wind up clock wrapped in a blanket. The ticking seemed to calm my Mischka down when she was a babe. Hugs & purrs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 01:53:03 AM »
I hate that man grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ithink she is just missing her brother and her Mum abd probably needs a place where she can hide by herself if she wants so I would have a large cardboard box upside down with a large hole cut out in the side,  with bedding inside, where she can hide if she wants.

I wouldnt be surprised if she has a good look around while you are alseep.

Just take things slowly and quietly, dont crowd her and be gentle and calming.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 19:26:20 PM »
You could also try a soft toy, so she can 'imagine' it is a sibling. It must be very strange for her. Good luck, and can't wait to see pics.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 18:09:38 PM »
If you have a cardboard box, you could put a jumper or something in it and she will probably feel safer in the enclosed space (top open of course!) and come out in her own time probably when she's hungry
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 17:28:28 PM »
But don't let Tipsey play with string unsupervised or by herself, whatever you do.

Keep us posted...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Duncan and Findlay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 16:29:14 PM »
Yeah, you're reading too much into it. The 'crying' could be her calling for her companion (her brother?), and finding herself in new surroundings. If she's quite a young kitten, then I'm recommending string. I know it may sound obvious, but string (dark colours - black or green, etc..) will keep it occupied quite easily. I would think she's fallen asleep out of sheer exhaustion!  ;D But don't worry.

The crying will stop, keep relaxed, let her explore and play it by ear.

"Calm down, dear. It's only a kitten!"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 16:38:43 PM by Duncan and Findlay »
You don't choose a cat, the cat chooses you.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 16:11:01 PM »
Tipsey is missing her mum.  This will probably last forty eight hours at the most probably less and after that you will never look back.  Give her attention if she wants it and let her explore.  Do you have any kitten teasers?  They are cheap and kittens love them.

She probably will cry again when she wakes up – just like a baby!  Play it by ear; I am sure you will be fine.  The rewards far outweigh any disadvantages, believe me.

Keep us posted.

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 16:08:01 PM »
Just went back into the lounge and shes fast asleep!!  ;D

My husband said she sat with her and she kept meowing while he tapped his fingers near her.  And then suddenly she stopped and slowly fell asleep!  So so happy!

I'm just worried about what we do when she wakes up now.  I expect she'll start crying again.  Should we leave her to sleep for long?  Or should we wake her in half hour so shes not too awake tonight?

Sorry i'm very new to all this!

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 16:04:10 PM »
She has always been really timid.  Whenever we visited her she would run when we got close.  Her brother however used to run up to us.  And today he ran into her carrier and we literally had to drag him out!  ;D

Shes very very shy.  I just thought she'd hide rather than scream.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 16:00:39 PM »
Give her a bit of room and space - when we first brought Billy and Baggy home, we left them to it. Everything had to be done in their own time.

Try not to panic, she will settle down. What was she like when you went to see her?
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 15:47:17 PM »
I would let her explore .... this may stop her wailing ..... let her out of the lounge and let her wnader round the house.  I would follow her at a safe distance just to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get into any trouble.  You'll probably find she will get herself into a nice dark corner (or under the bed) and will settle down.

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/kitteninfo.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 15:43:52 PM »
Thank you for replying Christine.

Her name is Tipsey.  Shes a blue-cream bsh and she's absolutely gorgeous.

I've left the room now and let my husband stay with her.  She may find it distressing with too many people in the room.

I'm trying to stay calm.  I knew she would be terrified.  But i just wasn't prepared for the constant crying.  I thought she may just hide.  But she doesn't want to hide.  She just runs about crying.

We've put the tv on quietly to see if that will calm her.

I've taken the week off work which i'm not realising was a very good idea.  I think its going to be a long while before this little one settles here.

Any other advice from anyone would be v.apprecited.  Or has anyone had a similar experience with their new kitty?

thanks x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 15:37:33 PM »
That must be very distressing all round  :(

As I've just posted elsewhere, I'm no expert on kittens, but I bet you're getting anxious and distressed and this will just be making the little one more agitated. I'd suggest putting on some calming music (to calm all of you down), sitting down quietly and moving, when you do, very slowly. I'd probably not try and interact with the kitten for the moment, just give her some space and don't force the issue. Breathe deeply so as not to get panicky.

This is just what I'd do myself: I'm sure someone better equipped will come on to offer more advice.

What's the kitten's name?  Oh and ignore your neighbour for the moment - we'll cross that bridge later!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
Help.....just brought our new kitten home
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 15:24:23 PM »
I got the lounge all ready for her.  Laid out litter, food, basket, toys.  We knew she'd be scared.

But shes been here 2 hours now and hasn't stopped screaming.  My witch of a neighbour has already knocked and complained (i was hoping she wouldn't know we had a cat because she was responsbile got getting a lovely dog evicted because of 'nuisance noise').

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to settle her.  We keep picking her up and cuddling her but this doesn't do anything.  I've tried distracting with toys but she won't pay attention.  I've put her in her litter tray, her bed and by her food but she just runs and carries on screaming.

Its awful.  I just want to help her.

Link to CatChat