Author Topic: Hello? *looks nervous*  (Read 3244 times)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Hello? *looks nervous*
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
Hi Angel and  :welcome: to you and your furry family

Offline Jayms_fallen_angel

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 05:23:43 AM »
Thanks guys
I am looking to adopt a cat/kitten in Sheffield.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 05:22:56 AM »
Hiya Angel and  :welcome: to Purrs  :)

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 02:50:48 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs....... :)

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 00:09:15 AM »
Hehe well Charm is the animated/remote controlled cuddly toy, desty is trouble, destructor and radar ears :P I had to pen them off when I wasn't around, she ate EVERYTHING. Now she's less destructive but the pens still up for when I'm asleep or at work. I'm sure I could do something similar with a cat while introducing them. Not a pen, but confine him/her away from what I don't want eaten (namely the small furries).

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 00:06:15 AM »
When one of Stu's ears goes up and twists round we call him radar ears lol

Oh and Sir c.rap alot lol

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 00:02:34 AM »
Yep. Charm is a full french lop, Desty is a little smaller and a french lop cross so she can have uppy ears or loppy ears depending on her mood (one of her nicknames is radar ears).

I think it's more to do with Charms past as to why he pounces at the broom. He used to be very terratorial because he was abused. Now he's fine no matter what comes in but as soon as the broom tries to sweep away the food he's laid on he gets a little upset. Which is understandable as he was almost starved to death.

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 23:56:33 PM »
But the other half of the room is mine, they're allowed in it supervised but it's not theirs and they know it.

Everyone recommends a young cat that I've spoken to.

Yes because they see you as boss but they will see themselves as boss over a kitten, so things will change. I used to get the "pounce" when I went into the hutch where the babys were, its funny but they think they are scaring you  :evillaugh:

Speaking from my own experience I would of waited till Harry was a bit older before getting a rabbit. They used to chase each other around the house constantly, which ends up with you having to break it up all the time  :tired:

Are you meaning French Lops?

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 23:47:48 PM »
Yes BC it would work with dogs as older dogs would not be stable around cats, in most cases anyway.

And we all know the reason for this is because CATS RULE!!!!!!
 :garf:

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 23:47:29 PM »
My buns are both neutered. One male and one female. The male has no front teeth because of medical reasons I had to get them pulled. Both are Frenchies and they have a run sectioning the bunny safe half of the living room off which is theirs. It's like the hutch. It belongs to them and they don't like even the broom comming in, but even though they don't like the broom comming in desty tries to pull it out then ignores it while charm mostly ignores it but if it gets too close pounces just so he doesn't touch it but still a warning not to come nearer (as though the broom or I am going to listen to the soppy warning :P) But the other half of the room is mine, they're allowed in it supervised but it's not theirs and they know it. They feel safe everywhere but they know it doesn't belong to them. He's 3 and she's 2.

Everyone recommends a young cat that I've spoken to.

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 23:42:27 PM »
Mmm, cats and rabbits especially house rabbits. Are the rabbits male or female, have they been neutered? If they have/ have not been neutered this can make a big change to the situation-

As in it could be the rabbits attacking the cat!

My male rabbit will not tollerate any of my cats in the garden as he see's that as his terrotry, so if they go out he will chase and bite them, usually taking a chunk of fur out of which ever cat.

We got the rabbit when Harry was a kitten and Harry loves to chase the rabbit, he hunts it. I blame this on him being young when we got Stu (rabbit) and now he only thinks of chasing the rabbit as a game. Where as my older cats do not bother the rabbit. By older cats Im meaning from 3 up to 5.

So I would not get a kitten but an older kitten as things could go either way and with having 2 large rabbits already thinking they own the place bringing a small kitten in might not be good.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 22:20:20 PM »
:welcome:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 22:13:06 PM »
 :welcome:
I agree BC, it really does make sense if you think about it, though I never did before.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 22:10:45 PM »
I agree BC.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 22:10:21 PM »
Oh yes, I'm cat friendly. There's a lot of cats round where I live, it makes it really hard to get into work sometimes because as I'm walking to the tram they'll just appear and want stroking and then I have to run because they've taken up more time than I had to spare :P My boyfriend has a cat too (down in hertfordshire) and I love to play with him. Of course I long ago stopped wearing dangly sleeves around Theo as we both liked him to play with them and that wasn't good for my sleeves :P

It's not so much a question, because I know it is possible otherwise I wouldn't even be here. Because my current pets come before getting another one. I need to be sure that something is possible before thinking about it. But I'm still nervous. I mean my buns are Frenchies so not really going to strike a cat as something easy to tackle. I also have to guinea pigs, but they're not free roaming so I don't see a cat being dangerous to them.

But I will be asking cat questions around because I'd like to get a cat on an informed decision. Unlike how I got my buns (Charm was almost dead so I took him home without any prior planning).

Yeah, my sister said the same thing blackcat. But I'm sure there are young cats who need homes just as much as older cats.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 22:09:02 PM »
I think if I had resident bunnies I would aim to get a young cat, preferably under 6 months (winces in anticipation of shrieks from other forum members) but I have found it is easier to establish harmony if the 'predator' animal is young when introduced to the 'prey' animals so it grows up realising they are family. It works with dogs, so assume it will work with cats ... :wow:

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I didn't have any cats when I joined. Now I am owned by two  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 22:04:25 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Angel.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 21:59:29 PM »
Hi Angel and  :welcome: to Purrs,

Of course you are welcome here ... the only requirement for being a member of this forum is that you are "Cat Friendly" being owned by a cat is NOT a requirement  ;)

With regards to cats and rabbits you are the second person this week to ask the question ... maybe you'd like to have a look at this thread: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,16150.0.html  there are plenty of people who do have cats and rabbits living together in harmony.

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 21:39:43 PM »
Oh goody! *claps* :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 21:37:58 PM »
Hi Angel &  :welcome: to Purrs

You are most definitely welcome, with or without a cat  :)  I know there's a few on here who have cats and house rabbits so hopefully they'll be along shortly  :)

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
Hello? *looks nervous*
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 21:35:49 PM »
Hello, my name is Angel, I am 21 years old and I don't have a cat. *looks nervous* But I want one.

Am I still welcome here?

I do have pets though, so I'm very nervous about getting a cat. I want one that's just right so we'll all be happy. You see I have two house rabbits. So bringing a cat in with what it may see as dinner is really hard for me to do.  But I KNOW cats and rabbits can get on well. There are several people I know that have house rabbits and cats and my sister has bunnies and dogs and they get on well. So I would really love to try and give a cat a loving home, but I'm also a bit nervous at the same time.

Link to CatChat