Author Topic: Home made Toys?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: Home made Toys?
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 22:23:07 PM »
one of lucifers fav toys is a bendy straw from a drinks cartoon. i actually have no idea where it came from, he was just going nuts batting it and chasing it across the floor one day.
another is some sock poi my sister made for me that he actually dragged out of a draw, it had never occured to me to offer them to him- its a juggling ball in a long sock knotted at the open end (so the ball is lose) but could be easily done with tightly balled old socks or tights or any ball shaped thing that fits
i like that box idea, that'll be the next toy

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 21:27:21 PM »
Hey I like that takeaway idea Helen,think it might tempt Rammy to stay in more rather than go after real mousies? :shify: :shify:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 21:01:41 PM »
Ahh yes take aways come in them these days don't they? I mite have a few dug away in the depths of my cupboard (Note to self: Have a clear out SOON!!!)

I will try that one  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 20:46:20 PM »
Speaking of takeaways...  Have you got any of the clear tubs that Chinese takeaways come in?  I put the boys' mini mice in them and trap the tails on the outside - hours of fun  :evillaugh:

This one just makes me laugh, I rounded up all their little mice and imprisoned them in a takeaway tub.  Being the cruel Mum that I am I trapped the tails of the mice outside the tub  :evillaugh:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 20:32:44 PM »
One thing I forgot about is the little plastic thing that goes into the middle of a take away pizza, Leo loves flipping his around but only has 1. It goes missing for weeks then I will come home & find its appeared again!

Ive gotta wait untill someone comes over & orders pizza for a new one!!!  :evillaugh:

Brill ideas everyone - Thanks  :)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »
Current favourite in the house is a primark (primart...whatever it's called) bag that a friend left over the house.

They've been climbing into it and then pouncing at whatever moves. They also jump on top of it.

We also have some satchel type bags that were very cheap and I have them hid under the bed, 2 of our cats will pull them out and run and jump on them - cause they slide. So we find these things all over the house.

My bras are also a fave.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:21 AM »
They also have some interactive feeding toys that have made bowls for dry food redundant. I had a poster tube with plastic caps for the ends so sawed it down to about 8 inches and drilled three holes in a spiral around it, I put their dry food in and they bat it about to make the food come out. I did the same with a beaker shaped, lidded tuperware container which I thought would be more hygenic, but they prefer the poster tube  :rofl:

Wow Puffball, what a creative cat mum you are  :wow: The boys want to know if they can come and live with you  ;D

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 23:48:21 PM »
Mine love cotton wool tips or pipe cleaners, balls made out of crisp packets (I think it's the crinkle noise & smell they particularly like) and carrier bag handles; the type made of tightly twisted paper so it's like paper string, they play with them for hours and carry them all over the house.

They also have some interactive feeding toys that have made bowls for dry food redundant. I had a poster tube with plastic caps for the ends so sawed it down to about 8 inches and drilled three holes in a spiral around it, I put their dry food in and they bat it about to make the food come out. I did the same with a beaker shaped, lidded tuperware container which I thought would be more hygenic, but they prefer the poster tube  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 22:55:33 PM »
The best toys are the ones you don't give them.  When i would give Mosi loo rolls to play with, he didn't want to know.  What did I find him playing with in the bathroom the other day?  A loo roll!  He spent some time batting it around.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 22:09:07 PM »
Zephyr and Rossi both love playing with the funny little plastic container things that the disposable gloves in hair dyes come in (similar to the things inside a kinder egg).  I put a dried pea inside and they spend hours rolling it about and pouncing on it. It's better than a ping pong ball cuz is doesn't get away as quickly  :rofl:

I did the same & put rice in one of the little egg cups inside a Kinder Egg (mmmmmmm!)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 19:46:40 PM »
Zephyr and Rossi both love playing with the funny little plastic container things that the disposable gloves in hair dyes come in (similar to the things inside a kinder egg).  I put a dried pea inside and they spend hours rolling it about and pouncing on it. It's better than a ping pong ball cuz is doesn't get away as quickly  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 19:11:03 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 18:58:59 PM »
Beautiful  :Luv:  I love the balcony shot  :Luv2:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 18:50:22 PM »
That looks fab  :wow: Where's Ollie's beautiful face though  :(

Oliver says thanks for your compliments, Helen... my fond greetings to your gorgeous boys as well :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 17:12:48 PM »
I made a toy out of a silicon fish lure (without the metal hook of course!), attached a string and tied it on a stick, it was a huge hit with my cat, he goes nuts over it.  it is colourful, wiggly and chewy, and so much more durable than a store bought cat toy.  It only cost 2€ for a package of 5, heck I thought I could start a business with this lol.

That looks fab  :wow: Where's Ollie's beautiful face though  :(

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 16:27:14 PM »
Excellent idea!!!

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 15:27:01 PM »
I made a toy out of a silicon fish lure (without the metal hook of course!), attached a string and tied it on a stick, it was a huge hit with my cat, he goes nuts over it.  it is colourful, wiggly and chewy, and so much more durable than a store bought cat toy.  It only cost 2€ for a package of 5, heck I thought I could start a business with this lol.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 14:05:34 PM »
I made one of the towelling toys filled with catnip as described in one of Vicky Halls books, my cats absolutely loved it, really I should have made more of them, but it required a bit of sewing and thats not my best subject! It looked a bit like an octopus and they used to grab it and and kick with their back legs, rub their faces all round it, roll on it, chew it - honestly, I've never seen them enjoy a toy so much made from an just an old towel  LOL! It did get pulled to pieces in the end, but thats was probably more due to my sewing skills, or lack of them LOL!  :evillaugh:

I saw the real thing for myself (as made by Vicky herself) when I went to one of the FAB meetings where she was doing a talk few years ago.

I'll see if I can look the instructions out later.

Cat nip has never made any of the cats ive had react any differently! It obviously just doesnt effect them?

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 14:04:09 PM »
My cats love balls made of tin foil and wine corks.  They play with these much more than the expensive ones I buy!  I will try that egg carton one soon :)

Leo isnt allowed Foil balls anymore.. although they were his fave toy in the world.. He ate them  :shocked:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 13:49:40 PM »
I made one of the towelling toys filled with catnip as described in one of Vicky Halls books, my cats absolutely loved it, really I should have made more of them, but it required a bit of sewing and thats not my best subject! It looked a bit like an octopus and they used to grab it and and kick with their back legs, rub their faces all round it, roll on it, chew it - honestly, I've never seen them enjoy a toy so much made from an just an old towel  LOL! It did get pulled to pieces in the end, but thats was probably more due to my sewing skills, or lack of them LOL!  :evillaugh:

I saw the real thing for myself (as made by Vicky herself) when I went to one of the FAB meetings where she was doing a talk few years ago.

I'll see if I can look the instructions out later.

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 13:15:47 PM »
Forget play tunnels, frankie loves our M&S bag for life (canvas material ones) he loves sliding across the floor on it and also getting in and out.

Try an old ankle sock and roll it up into a ball, stuff a little catnip inside and they go nuts

The other toy is plastic corks, frankie is only little so perfect at his age.

Also we buy Frosties and recently they were selling them with free beanbag keepie uppie toys in them - well frankie loves them!

Will try the egg carton - go though enough eggs he will love toys for life :)

Offline SuzeB

• Adult Cat
  • Maisie, Genghis and Fred. RIP Loki.
    • PubQuizzy
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 13:11:41 PM »
My cats love balls made of tin foil and wine corks.  They play with these much more than the expensive ones I buy!  I will try that egg carton one soon :)

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
Empty egg cartons with treats in them - nearly closed (drives my cats nuts trying to get the treats out).

Take a cardboard box tape the top up, cut two or three holes in it put a ball or three inside.

I also knitted a triangle once that I stuffed and the cats love it, I'm not sure why it doesn't even have catnip..

I will do the egg cartons tonight!

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:21 PM »
Vicky Halls recommends a pyramid of loo rolls with dry food in as treats

Did this last night - Leo loves it .. I hid treats in it !

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
Empty egg cartons with treats in them - nearly closed (drives my cats nuts trying to get the treats out).

Take a cardboard box tape the top up, cut two or three holes in it put a ball or three inside.

I also knitted a triangle once that I stuffed and the cats love it, I'm not sure why it doesn't even have catnip..

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »
Vicky Halls recommends a pyramid of loo rolls with dry food in as treats

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
Home made Toys?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
Hello

Last night I made Leo a few home made toys out of empty toilet rolls & different size boxes with holes in & stuff. Has anyone else got any ideas on this? Im trying to save ££ untill I get da bird from Mum.. & Leo pays much more attention to the ones I make!!

Link to CatChat