Author Topic: Cats & Flies... Who else has a cat who finds them delicious?  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Cats & Flies... Who else has a cat who finds them delicious?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 18:56:03 PM »
Riley almost made me wet myself just now... He has been trying to catch one particular fly for around 20 minutes now, it's quite a small slow one so he should have no problem.  It is obviously cleverer than your average fly as it keeps landing on the lampshade which despite his athletic skills is about 2 foot too high for him  :evillaugh:

He has just lost his temper and given the fly the biggest hiss I've ever seen before doing a spectacular 5 foot leap and missing it - I suppose you had to be there but the sight of a 6kg cat hissing at a tiny fly had me in stiches!

Lukey, who has the hunting skills of a weetabix, tried to get in on the act but all he could do was look pretty  :Luv:

Riley concentrating so hard he almost fell over!

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
Happy summer catching & eating buzzers to all your furbabes :D (and we worry about leaving out their wet food so flies can sit on it  :Crazy:  :Crazy:??).

Very good point!! Maybe they'd prefer it if there were a few flies mixed in :evillaugh:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »
Max once had a sudden very high fever in South Africa, from eating either flies, or geckos (noooo! they're sweet) or spiders. They used to go crazy for "buzzers" esp the huge horrible kind of bluebottle. It's quite sad now, they just ignore them. My rescue cat, Moggy, loved to catch locusts in mid air - 360 degree leaps to grab them in both paws. Then let them go and repeat. She could catch anything but never killed anything, not even birds she caught as she had such a soft mouth. Terrible sulker she was when I took her prey away. Mind you, she was pretty good at 'catching' next door's barbecue sausages if they weren't looking  :evillaugh:
this topic makes me remember her, my lovely fluffy girl.

Happy summer catching & eating buzzers to all your furbabes :D (and we worry about leaving out their wet food so flies can sit on it  :Crazy:  :Crazy:??).

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 10:37:14 AM »
Z's terrified of spiders!  :Crazy: just had one crawl over the living room floor...Z spotted it and ran to the other side of the room- big wuss  :naughty:

Our old dog used to be scared of spiders. One evening we were sat in the sitting room and heard her growling and barking in the kitchen, we went in to find her there growling at a huge spider on the wall  :rofl:

Fergus and Polly go crazy over flies. They'll sit there cackling at it and then when it flies off, they're off to, running and jumping everywhere with no care for what might be in their way or what they're knocking over! Polly does then catch it and have a good chew. I usually sit there telling her she's disgusting and then she'll finish it and give me a look as if to say "nope delicious, there we go, all gone now, where's the next"  :rofl:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »
Ambers my fly and bug catcher. She plays with them and sucks them to death and then very kindly brings them to me. Normally when Im eating of course. Living in a flat I dont get spiders but my Mum very kindly brought me something complete with spider once and Ambers face was a picture. One of those where I wish I had a camera to hand as her eyes bulged as it wriggled in her mouth. :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 02:15:04 AM »
My Lola caught a fly the other day (catches em most days but this was memorable) Well she left it on the floor covered in slavers!  :sick: Maisey came in and sat to watch as the fly dried out, then Trigger joined in......suddenly in walks Oscar, saw what they were all mesmerised by and went straight in and ate it!  :evillaugh: I was pretty amused at the other cats disgust!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 23:38:39 PM »
Hamish was my fly catcher  :) and they would keep him amused for ages  :evillaugh: I had also seen him with HUGE bumble bee's  :shocked:
but with them He was more cautious  :scared: , Yup, Hamish scoffed them all !! :) , wish He was still Here  :(
Misty just watches but cant be bothered. So all I have now is this tennis racket that you've to push a button and it fry's them  :wow:

OH but the smell of burning flesh  :sick:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 22:37:53 PM »
Urrggh!  I have just had an invasion of very big flies!  Unfortunately my lot think it's entertainment and treats all rolled into one!  :sick:  I have Sabby climbing the curtains in hot pursuit of a particularly juicy specimen which he will crunch with gusto, leaving a small pile of legs and mouth parts as testament to his fierceness!

Most of the time I just can't bear to watch!  :sick:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 22:31:30 PM »
Jameson is the same -I've seen him on a few occassions - he'll catch them, play with them for a while, then calmly lie down in the grass looking relaxed without a care in the world, then every so often slam his paw on the poor lil insect until it's so badly injured it wont move anymore... then he'll walk off.

....leaving me to do the dirty work - its painful even though I hate creepy crawleys and flies!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 22:24:16 PM »
salem brings them indoors to eat them!
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 21:51:52 PM »
Amber and Chilli will go for any insect, in the last few weeks I have been brought spiders, beetles, blue bottles and bees!!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 21:36:28 PM »
Lexy just walks over spiders. She's not keen on eating them but will kill them. Usually just puts her paw on them and leans her weight on killing them. Of course mum has to clean up  :sick:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 21:34:38 PM »
Riley is the heavyweight fly catcher champion  :sick:  He'll jump several feet in the air and pluck them down between his paws, that in itself is bearable but it's the fact they are still buzzing when he eats them, makes me heave  :sick:

On the plus side he is also an amazing spider catcher, he has rescued me from several tricky situations (I have a severe phobia!) - you only have to point in the direction of a spider and he'll run over, catch it and eat it within seconds.

I think Geoffrey must be Riley's secret twin, he is exactly the same  :evillaugh: For a big old lad he can really shift when he sees a fly - he chatters away at it and then within a couple of blinks, it's been caught and chewed  :evillaugh:  Same with the spiders too!

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 20:59:27 PM »
Xanthe would love them but is rubbish at catching them - Binky was a stealth ninja and cleared the room in seconds every summer. He used to pull off some amazing acrobatic leaps to catch them mid air.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 19:26:21 PM »
Gizzy and Jerry have yet to discover the joys of fly catching!  As for Beavis , that would I think involve moving so naturally he's not interested! :-:

Fred cta will catch anything that moves! :evillaugh:

Offline Beemumma

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 19:19:09 PM »
One day one of my paler faced moggies came to me with what looked like grass hanging from his lip, on closer inspection it was all eight legs of one of those huge spiders you find in the bath ewwwwwww :sick:

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 19:16:34 PM »
I had to laugh at frankie earlier he had partly chomped a fly but it was still buzzing on his nose - wish i had the camera...

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 18:57:34 PM »
Yes my cat eats flies too and spiders, nats and wasps even though hes been stung by one :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 18:23:59 PM »
Crazy isn't it - if a fly lands on their food, I throw it out - then again I have never seen any of mine eat them  :sick: - I have seen a few dead ones around as I think Willow kills them but she is a very fussy eater  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 17:45:22 PM »
All of ours catch flies but it's Holly and Taco who finally chomp them down  :sick: But the comedy value of seeing them catch the flies is brillient  :evillaugh:
Mind you, all 4 of our cats are terrified of our chinchillas!  :evillaugh:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 17:36:20 PM »
Z's terrified of spiders!  :Crazy: just had one crawl over the living room floor...Z spotted it and ran to the other side of the room- big wuss  :naughty:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 17:30:24 PM »
mine seem to prefer bees ......... sigh

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 17:27:09 PM »
Riley is the heavyweight fly catcher champion  :sick:  He'll jump several feet in the air and pluck them down between his paws, that in itself is bearable but it's the fact they are still buzzing when he eats them, makes me heave  :sick:

On the plus side he is also an amazing spider catcher, he has rescued me from several tricky situations (I have a severe phobia!) - you only have to point in the direction of a spider and he'll run over, catch it and eat it within seconds.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 16:43:10 PM »
ummmm flies ... yum yum!!  :rofl:

All my lot enjoy a nice tasty blue bottle .... I must admit I prefer for the cats to eat them then to use fly spray and the entertainment value of watching Zephyr catch a fly and have it trapped in his mouth still buzzing is hilarious!!!! I tend to look away when they get tot he crunching bit though  :sick:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 18:36:39 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
Cats & Flies... Who else has a cat who finds them delicious?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 16:40:32 PM »
Well frankie is nearly 8 weeks old and has really found his feet and FLIES!  Don't get me wrong what great pest control but does anyone else think its a little disgusting, he catches them, torments them and then chomps it down. 

Does anyone else have a cat who loves flies?

Link to CatChat