Author Topic: 2 cats on freecycle............  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: 2 cats on freecycle............
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 12:46:07 PM »
Its a toughie though as there are soooooo many.  :(

Have to agree with you there!  ;) Saying that Id prefer to see them on these sites rather than just being abandoned etc, we all hate reading about them but atleast there is an option to help out if able!  :hug:

Offline FreeToGoodHome Helper

• Adult Cat
    • Helping Free To Good Home pets find responsible homes. x
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 11:38:16 AM »
We do all we can to help the 'free ads' offering help with at least organising homechecks and getting vet references etc from potential new owners on their behalf, pointing out the pitfalls and dangers, suggesting and trying to help with organising neutering or trying to source ever so precious rescue spaces, offering advice where possible, but we are the same - of the MANY people we contact offering help we get lots of unanswered e-mails, or 'no thanks' coming back - people just dont want to have the hassle (even though we do the leg work for them!).  But for the ones that DO want help we do our best to find it for them and work really hard.

Its a toughie though as there are soooooo many.  :(
Jodie x

MBll

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 18:37:19 PM »
I havnt had any  replys back from  3 ads I emailed not even emails with atutitude & abuse  :-:  Iv noticed these ads on adtrader  :-:

Offline BigPaws (Rae&Missa)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 17:45:28 PM »
Thank you.  Off to do that right now.

I am a memebr and I moderate my local group too- this message was on pending but I wont approve them!.

I ill send a list of the local rescues to the poster now.

Thanks so much.

Rae
xxx
COME BACK MADDIE CAT, MELISSA IS WAITING FOR YOU

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 17:36:33 PM »
BigPaws, if you're a member of Freecycle send the poster a list of local rescues. It's unlikely that admin will ban animal posts - I tried with mine for months to no avail.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 17:06:31 PM »
I have 2 gorgeous Kittens 1 Boy and 1 Girl / Brother and Sister they
are  9weeks old and are desperate for a loving family home. They are
litter trained and wormed. We can not keep them as we have 4 adult
cats. they were promised lovely owners but it fell through, can you
help look after these lovely kittens.  Ideally love them to both go to
a loving family who would enjoy both their company.I am at Barrow Upon
Soar.

Just posted on Loughborough Freecycle!!.   I have emailed the owner of the group to ask if we can ban future offers of pets, it saddens me.  :(

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »
I just found the ragdoll I saw advertised on a classfileds site all the same imfor but selling him for £150  :naughty:.poor baby he has not been done and is only about 1 to 2 years old makes me so so mad.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »
However, I do think what Mags & JS are doing by emailing them some good advice is a good thing as a lot of people just don't have a clue.

Glad you added that - thought you were taking a swipe. ;)

It is frustrating to read these things, but even if people email back and are offensive at least there's been an effort made to make them rethink their actions regarding animal care.

If I had bucketloads of money I'd set up a cattery and go and collect them all I think. Then again, wouldn't most of us? ;)

Hope it did some good, RR.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 09:36:04 AM »
The fact that some mods/admins stick up a non disclaimer thingy stating that the person do homechecks etc is  a load of bull as you can bet its the first person that turns up gets the animal/bird etc.

I agree, the disclaimer isnt bull in as far as it does exist but you are completely right about the first person to turn up.  If someone is sad enough to want to "get rid" of an animal using Freecycle then they are probably wanting the poor thing out of the way as soon as they can.  I know its unfair to tar everyone with the same brush but that is the sad reality.

As a Moderator we have to abide by the group ownere and their ruling and at the moment Pets can be advertised but not requested (on the group I mod for).  I actually will not mod any animal messages and email the person myself directly with alternatives to Freecycle.  It is unlikely to make any difference I know but I do try  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 00:16:04 AM »
Not rocket science no - Just a bit off common sense needed but too many people haven't got any  :Crazy:

lot of people just don't have a clue.

Why dont they have aclue....thats what i want to know .........its nooo rocket science here ya know
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
    • Four paws pet rescue Cumbria South
  • Slave to: Basil,Fred,Molly,Trevor,Pepe,Mabel, Odin(RIP) and the four dogs.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 23:02:27 PM »
Advertising animals is banned on our freecycle.

MBll

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 22:53:26 PM »
lot of people just don't have a clue.

Why dont they have aclue....thats what i want to know .........its nooo rocket science here ya know

MBll

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 22:51:15 PM »
Iv noticed the ad with the 2 cats on RHU lol

Sooo far no reply from either ads....yet.........Im waiting  for the emails with 'attitude & abuse'   or Im going to be ignored 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 22:45:06 PM »
  it would just be so much easier if people just didn't post these flamin freecycle ads... it just fills me with dread every time I see them!

I agree and then we go on a mega guilt trip if we can't help  :tired:

I was out with Sharon today and we discussed this and said that it just puts more pressure on rescues that are already overflowing but feel obliged to try to help. I guess it is impossible to help every single cat. If there are special circumstances, ie "Pregnant cat for sale" then I think it is slightly different. We could all trawl freeads and find any number of cats on them.

However, I do think what Mags & JS are doing by emailing them some good advice is a good thing as a lot of people just don't have a clue.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 22:47:00 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 16:38:15 PM »
I recall a time right at the start of the year, when rehoming was really good following Christmas and we did actually run out of of homeable cats for a while.  :Crazy: I saw an ad on a free site for an adult female in our patch and contacted the owner saying "Have you tried Cats Protection?" We'd have taken this puss in for sure as we were turning away people who wanted to adopt, but the owner never responded to me. Oh well, we tried...  :shy:

I have every admiration for people like Freetoagoodhomehelper who do manage to contact people and get these cats into rescue, but I can't even get them to send me an insult.  :rofl: :rofl:

MBll

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 16:16:26 PM »
BC ...just noticed that ...oooopppsss well there goes professionalism (if thats how ya spell it) right out the window lol

Anyhoo  as there was these 2 & another wee 1 year old  cat on there i just emailed the both ...I do feel bloody stupid doing this &  if I get a reply back it will only be emailswith attitude & abusive. But i do not approve of  rehoming on  these sites.

The fact that some mods/admins stick up a non disclaimer thingy stating that the person do homechecks etc is  a load of bull as you can bet its the first person that turns up gets the animal/bird etc.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 15:48:20 PM »
that's why I never look but you can't escape it completely - when I saw all the kittens in Italy, I couldn't even go over and oh was working out the cost of quarantine!

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 15:48:06 PM »
ive seen a few cats a freecycle and even a ragdoll yesterday. I have tried getting them but haven't been able to so far.I just hope they all went to good homes

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 15:44:18 PM »

yip... and then feel bad if you get there too late and they are already gone and you worry about where they may have ended up! :tired:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 13:50:29 PM »
  it would just be so much easier if people just didn't post these flamin freecycle ads... it just fills me with dread every time I see them!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »
sounds fine to me mags!    it would just be so much easier if people just didn't post these flamin freecycle ads... it just fills me with dread every time I see them!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:43:43 AM »
Morning all

The reply is fine.

As a moderator for Freecycle (Loughborough) the pets policy is one that I really dont like.  We have a rehoming policy guideline that all Mods should send out when a pet is offered using the Freecycle Network although it doesnt always happen.

Loughborough dont allow wants for animals but they do allow offers.  Sadly, over the last few months people have lost sight of what Freecycle is all about and it has, in some case, turned into a wish/shopping  list for some, (which outrageously includes asks for animals (normally pedigree) and it is  very sad.

The reason that offers of animals are allowed is so that hopefully the person offering an animal will vet homes and make arrangements for the new owner to stay in touch and update with pics etc.  Of course, as in everything, this is an ideal situation and will not always happen.

Hope everyone is well today, its sunny and warm here in East Leake this morning.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:35:53 AM »
Mags, if you proof read the message, that sounds fine to me. But you have asked 'have you tired...' when you mean 'have you tried...' which kind of spoils the effect lol.

MBll

2 cats on freecycle............
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:07:06 AM »
I just read a post on my local freecycle 2 4  year old cats now  the email i was going to send  this guy is the following..................Im no  sure if i worded it right???

Hi

Sorry to read you need to rehome your cats. Have you been in contact with any rescues for a space or are you on a waiting list?   Have you tired any of the rescue & rehoming sites.  If you would like some contact numbers of rescues i would be happy to look them out & email you.  Please be very carful of who & where you rehome you cats to as there is a lot of folk hunt the 'free to good home' ads/psts  to sell on, if not neutered for breeding & for using as bait for fighting dogs.

At least with rescues they will do homechecks have fosterers  even on the rescue & homing sites they have a network of fosteres, homechecks & transports.

Hope this helps
Mags

Link to CatChat