Author Topic: CO-OP BRAND CAT FOOD  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: CO-OP BRAND CAT FOOD
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »
I have the same problem with clapton, he has become really fussy since he had renal probs. He is eating Whiskas senior in gravy and not much else - apparently it has lower phosphates than regular food so hopefuly it's enough to keep him healthy. He is a lot better so it must be helping. fingers crossed for next month when he gets retested :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
My daughter only went to the Co-op as Fizzy is quite old and has renal probs, and he just goes off different brands at different times as inddeed do many cats, this time everything she tried he would not touch so in desperation she went to the Co-op, and he just  ate the food with relish, then brought it up again. The fortekor seems to be keeping his problem under control, in fact when he had his last blood test a couple of weeks ago his stats had improved a lot.
He wont eat  much renal food at all so she gives him 1/2 and 1/2 normal,  (we made the decision as indeed I know many other do to keep him happy and eat more of less what he likes than miserable with food he hates and often just will not eat).
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 23:44:55 PM »
Mine won't eat co-op food but Tesco do one in foil trays that has pieces of stuff in that sound like what you described. I think it's skin  :sick:
I remember years ago, whiska used to be the same - sometimes it even had hairs in. It probably still does but is so processed you don't see it. As discusting as it seems to us, I read somewhere that cats need hair, bone  guts as muscle meat doesn't have the correct nutrients for them.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 22:28:27 PM »
A long time ago dad bought a can of Co-op own brand cat food for the boys (I still had Mr Thomas at the time) and both Toby and Mr Thomas refused to even contemplate it. The reaction was a series of disgusted sniffs. Never tried it again.

Waitrose sell lightmeat tuna and Pearl loves it - more so than the standard chunks that I buy for myself.  ;)

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 22:22:37 PM »
I woudl have thought that the Co-op would be more animal concous with all of their products supposedly not being tested on animals etc ..saying that i went to look at some food for my lot today ( i give them a treat at the weekends) and looked at the co-op fod and only had 4% meat deriatrive in it decided against it and went for some Hi-life instead ..the big tin of real fish in ..they loved it gulped it down and even got a growling match going on between chalks and Moggs lol
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 22:17:00 PM »
  so looks (and smells) nothing like our tuna. [\quote]

This one cerrtainly liooks like pieces of tuna (like the flakes you get from cod) and the colour of tinned tuna.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:07:20 AM by Ela »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 20:10:32 PM »
i dont tend to buy food from the Co-op that much, but I did look at all the food last week for offers, dont' remember seeing much own brand tuna food though - they do sell the tuna HiLife, and the old style Tuna Imperial did have a squid garnish that looked awful - white circular things, bout 4 in a tin - and cat tuna is very dark, apparently you get dark and light tuna (like you do chicken), we eat the light stuff, and some of the dark stuff is used for  cat foods, so looks (and smells) nothing like our tuna.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 16:53:06 PM »
I had a little tray of their Co-op Supreme and George found a 1 inch shard of cooked bone in it. Luckily he ate around it but had it been the guzzlers bowl it would have got nasty. Bloo*dy sharp it was too.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 13:32:48 PM »
We have a co-op but I have not seen or would buy there product. They dont have much cat food cos dogs are the dominant animals around here . so far more dog food.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
CO-OP BRAND CAT FOOD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:42:29 PM »
My daughter has just shown me some Tuna cat food she purchased from the Co-op, she put some in a bowl, Fizzy ate it and then promptly brought the lot up.  It has pieces that look like flakes on tuna in but it is not tuna at all it is almost like elastic band material and stretches like rubber. I suspect it is some sort of animals gut or something. Has anyone else seen this?

Link to CatChat