• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Hello!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 19:31:28 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: well done Jess  ;D

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 18:43:29 PM »
Must be the first time I've ever been bouncing around at 7:30am stupidly pleased that there was a mess in the litter tray....  :shocked:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 17:01:44 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Jess is gorgeous, hope you've had a liquid delivery by now  :evillaugh:

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 22:07:18 PM »
Ah, I will wait a bit then and see if it settles down. I've been giving her a lot of brushing over the past couple of days as the girls said they hadn't really done much with her in the shelter as she was a quiet, shy cat, so didn't demand much attention. I think I'll be able to fill a cushion soon! :evillaugh:

Still no sign of a wee, but remembering back to when I spent almost every saturday for a year in a vets surgery (I wanted to be a vet and was getting experience) I've felt around her tummy and got no negative response at all, so it doesn't seem like she is in any discomfort (and I know if I was holding in my wee and somone pressed on my bladder I'd be very unimpressed). I'm starting to wonder if we've just missed a puddle at some point. I'm keeping a close eye on her though, and I'll get her out to the vet if need be.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 21:59:27 PM »
Any sign of a wee yet????

With regards to lying at the top of the stairs ... that's a favourite resting place for lots of cats as it's a great vantage point ... they can snooze and not risk having anyone sneak up on them.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 21:48:26 PM »
That is good, although the excess is higher than AXA, who cover £7,000 per year. I like to know so I can recommend companies when people adopt my fosters. IT is normal for rescue cats to be a bit dandruffy at first, the majority of my fosters start with that within the first two weeks, I put it down to stress and environment, esp as some have been picked up off the streets, they might not have had a bed near a radiator for a while. I woudlnt overly worry unless it doesn't die down in a few weeks.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 21:33:57 PM »
According to my notes, up to £7,500 per year, with a £75 excess, which I would certainly hope would be sufficient!

I've noticed she seems a bit dandruffy on her back, and the books I got from the library suggest mites. She has had 2 de-flea treatments while she was at the shelter, with fronline spot on - does anyone know if this should do anything against mites, or should we get her to the vet for something else. Alternatively, could it be anything else?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 21:24:45 PM »
Aww, bless her, I thought Pebbles hadn't gone to the toilet but it turned out she was just burying hers very deep!!
Out of interest, how much do HSBC pay out per year?
Please spay your cat

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 21:12:09 PM »
She seems fine, I've hunted around and can't find any wet patches (thanks to her being quite limited in where she will go theres not too many places to check) though with the warm weather we've had today if it was more than about 4 hours ago I'd expect it to have dried. No stained looking patches either though, as far as I can tell.

I got some bones from the butchers, do you think if I put some beef stock down she will be more likely to drink? I gave her a tiny bit of beef from dinner which had some gravy on and she licked that up very happily. She doesn't appear distressed or dehydrated, though she does seem to breathe quite fast a lot of the time.

Today shes just started sitting on the sofas. Hopefully she will eventually feel up to snuggling. :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 21:13:30 PM by Ebany »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 17:22:09 PM »
Hmm, is she looking uncomfortable? I would have a look for wet patch  :shify:

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 21:39:38 PM »
No sign of a wee yet, but she has been drinking. Its pretty warm, especially with the restricted window opening, so hopefully its nothing to worry about yet. She doesn't seem at all upset about anything.

I feel like an anxious new parent!  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 20:09:46 PM »
Excellent  ;D has she done a wee too?

Im sure she will be on the worktops soon  :evillaugh:

She was showing a great fondness for lying at the top of the stairs so we put one of the beds there to see if she would use it. She looked very insulted and moved one step down!
Your learning 'cat' now  :rofl:

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 20:07:33 PM »
I think it was about half an hour after that post and we got a little present. :innocent: Whoo-ee stinky! :sick: I'd have noticed one of those somewhere else around the house!

She had clay at the rescue so we got a small bag of that, but we plan to change her onto biodegradeable stuff that can go down the loo to save constant trips to the bins (2 flights down!)

She seems to be a very floor based cat - doesn't jump up on things and jumps down if we lift her up. She is also refusing to use either of the two beds we've got her, preferring to just lie around on the carpet. Shes a strange cat. She was showing a great fondness for lying at the top of the stairs so we put one of the beds there to see if she would use it. She looked very insulted and moved one step down!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 21:40:11 PM by Ebany »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 20:01:09 PM »
Have you had a delivery yet? :wish:

I would ring the rescue and find out what type of tray and litter she had so you can put your mind to rest  ;D
Its not unusual for them to initially hold it in.

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 20:23:45 PM »
We've got 6 weeks pet insurance from Petplan through the rescue, and then I have already done thorough investigation and have opted for HSBC - its a bit more expensive than some of the others but has a yearly reset, covers for life and doesn't start charging a percentage of the cost as excess once the cat gets over a certain age. I never want to be stuck wondering if I can afford to give my cat the care it needs.

I'll try asking Cataire, you never know what they might come up with.

Just got home from a trip to Pets at home to get other thing we wanted for her, I fear she will become a very spoiled kitty!

One thing - we've had her home now for...almost 30 hours and..well..she hasn't been. We are worried she might not like the litter tray we got her or something similar (shes an indoor only cat, so its all shes ever going to have) - at what point should we start to really worry? She has dry food only as apparently wet makes her sick, and she seems to be eating and drinking fine, just not weeing or pooing... its got to go somewhere, surely?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 19:09:08 PM »
If you contact cataire they may be able to suggest something, i hear the customer service is v.good  ;D
Never under estimate a cats ability to do stupid things so some kind of window screen is sensible.

I would register her before you need, they can do that over the phone and Sues mention of pet insurance is a good one  ;)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:14:35 AM »
What a beautiful cat.  Welcome to you Ebany, and to Jess.

Too right - cats get into all sorts of mischief, and tortie's have a bit of a reputation for it  :evillaugh:  It sunds like she's settling down with you really well.  Bet she cant believe her luck after being in the shelter.  :)

As for the vet, I would register now, and it's a good idea to take out insurance if you haven't already. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 23:38:22 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs..... :)

Jess is beautiful!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 22:09:57 PM »
She seems pretty laid back so far, shes still getting used to havig so much room after being the the shelter. We had her in a small room at first but she was soo chilled and content we decided to open the door and see if she wanted to go further. Shes been making the whole flat her own ever since.

We will keep a very close eye on her around the windows then in that case, and see if we can rig up some sort of screen. Sadly, our windows are the one type cataire say they can't work with, so we may be stuck with a bit of DIY. This sort of window is great for ventilation, but a right pain to work around as they poke both in and out when they are open.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 21:44:46 PM »
You would be amazed what cats can jump - Fredcat can jump INTO my parents open dormer windows on the second floor of their house with no problem.................and hes not a small boy!

Jess is adorable.......................and looks right at home! :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 21:40:46 PM »
Ahhh she is lovely.

With regards to open windows NEVER underestimate a cat.  My boy jumped out of a second floor top opener (much to my horror).

If you want windows open I would have a look at this thread .... the cataire system is very good http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4819.0.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 21:21:22 PM »
Awwwwwww! she's lovely!! I love torties. Is she a typical naughty tortie? or a laid back gal?

Offline Ebany

• Kitten
Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 20:52:57 PM »
We've brought home our new furry friend today from the cat shelter, shes a 6 year old tortie and white cutie called Jess. We are thrilled to finally have her home (We had to wait for Zooplus to deliver everything we need!)

I have a couple of questions I am hoping people may be able to help with  :)

Our windows open by pivoting around the middle, but have a lower pane about 18 inches high that doesn't open. Obviously while Jess is getting settled we wont have the windows open without her being supervised, but once she knows this is home is it likely she would decide to jump out? She can see there is nothing for her to stand on outside, and that there is a big drop and I wouldn't expect a cat to be so silly (though I know cat intelligence can vary and we would monitor her at first to see if she shows any signs of being inclined to leap out), but I still worry that we will have to keep the windows shut if we aren't in the room (or make screens, given they aren't found very often in the UK), when one of the things we love in this flat is that, being 2 floors up, we can safely leave our windows open wide all the time and get really good ventilation in summer.

And also, with vets, do we leave it until the first time we need them to register, or should we do it straight away?

She's settling in really well, she seems to like it here!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat